Roomster Scout tdi 2007 - aux heater

b1ackb1rd

Highly unlikely unless someone has fitted an aftermarket one.

I was very close to fitting one to my Octavia 1.9 TDI (same PD105 as yours). It used to take forever to warm up :(

It's not actually a massive job to fit. Remove side panel in passenger footwell, remove cover for heater matrix, slide heater in, wire to battery (with 100amp fuse!), earth connection nearby, two wires into the canbus (near stereo/heater controls) then activate with VCDS.

No I didn't unfortunately. I kept putting it off, then was going to do it this summer but then we started looking for a new car and so never actually got round to it.

The Saab starts kicking out warm air in about 1/2 a mile! So I'm thinking it must have an aux heater.

Highly unlikely unless someone has fitted an aftermarket one.

I was very close to fitting one to my Octavia 1.9 TDI (same PD105 as yours). It used to take forever to warm up :(

It's not actually a massive job to fit. Remove side panel in passenger footwell, remove cover for heater matrix, slide heater in, wire to battery (with 100amp fuse!), earth connection nearby, two wires into the canbus (near stereo/heater controls) then activate with VCDS.

Mad, as our 2004 Touran had a Webasto and our 2006 Golf Plus has the electric version. 

My Scout is 2007 and therefore canbus 1.6 - meaning most retrofits are not an option

Edited by b1ackb1rd

Yes they have always added additional heaters to their larger cars (the VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra also got a webasto).

So done some more digging.

The PTC heater in the Fabia/Roomster is slightly different.

It's more like the other "dumb" version sometimes found where the element is split into separate circuits controlled by relays. But it still plugs into the car and controlled by the heater when the heat is set to high and alternator load is sufficient etc:

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk1/heating_air_conditioning/heating_air_conditioning/heating/repairing_heating_system/summary_of_components_heat_exchanger__heating_element_for_additional_air_heating_(ptc)_z35/

This guy has also wired up some neat indication lights so you can see when it's working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeL2huQSI2g

So it's definitely possible on your car just depends if you're prepared to do the work. Access to the heater matrix is relatively easy and if you're good at wiring then go for it. If you're not competent at wiring up, soldering etc then don't attempt it. There was a recall on the Golf to have the connector tightened up as an improper connection can cause a fire due to the massive electrical loads (12v, up to 1000w or 80amps!).

• 1 month later...

post-5783-0-12922700-1482363434_thumb.pngI've been searching Google today and have found an online manual which shows a climatronic unit in a Roomster with a dedicated 'Demist or defrost windshield' button 

My 2007 Roomster doesn't have this - does anyone know what this does (activate heater?) 

It just ramps up the fan speed, directs the majority of the flow through the windscreen vent and enables air-con (to dehumidify).

Nothing fancy just a shortcut button to save pressing multiple buttons to achieve the same result.

• Like 1