Android Auto phone upgrade

My 3 year old Galaxy Note 3 works fine with Android Auto so you should be fine :)

Anyone use Spotify with it? Mine doesn't show up as an option. I only get Google music ot Tune in radio.

My 3 year old Galaxy Note 3 works fine with Android Auto so you should be fine :)

Anyone use Spotify with it? Mine doesn't show up as an option. I only get Google music ot Tune in radio.

I use spotify all the time, worked fine on my z2 and now since I upgraded to the z5 premium it's worked fine for me. Have you tried reinstalling spotify on your phone? Maybe that would help

I use Spotify, but recent updates (to Spotify, I think) have made it unreliable. Pocket Casts on the other hand is rock solid.

Also- regarding music apps not being there, Pocket Casts disappeared after I had my handset repaired (and consequently wiped by the repairers) and it wouldn't show, but uninstalling it and reinstalling it fixed that issue.

• 2 months later...

Has anybody any experience of the HTC One A9 and android auto? I need to get an android phone (currently using windows). I have used an old Sony phone in the car (Fabia III) and android auto works fine but the phone is hopeless. I have found one 2015 report on the web suggesting the HTC One A9 gets very hot when using android auto to the point when android auto  becomes unreliable. I really don't want to go there! All help appreciated.

I have a Samsung s7 edge and works perfect. Have to download a app but soon as you connect it phone goes into sleep mode you then can do anything you want on screen. Text ring music or GPS

Many thanks Coopy - the S7 Edge is way over my budget. Your experience though is the very similar to my old Sony. The AA seems to work ok but the old Sony phone is hopeless. I really want a small, compact phone. I suppose I want the android equivalent of an iphone 6SE. My daughter has a Huawei P9 lite which seems a reasonable phone but it is not AA compatible and it is huge. I don't want a phone that thinks it is a small tablet. The Samsung A3 looks like it might do. I may buy one of those online to try when the 2017 model is available.

My Motorola E 2nd generation was cheap and it works fine.

I got it instead of a satnav and it has everything Android Auto has to offer (Spotify,Google maps,Amazon Music.Google Music etc.)

I've just got Google Play music on mine too which means all the music on my Windows media player is accessible in the car.

With giff gaff unlimited data (no contract) for £20 per month I'm very pleased with it all.

Edited by RickW

Windows media player is on my desktop and part of my Widows 7 package.

I just downloaded Google play music to my desktop and it found the music on WMP automatically,so I can now play all the music that I have on my desktop in the car. I had to get the Google music app on my phone of course.It was easy for a technophobe like me.

Rick, the windows media player - is that some sort of storage device on your home network or do you carry it in the car? I suppose the advantage of a media player is you can have FLAC files rather than mp3?

Google play music will play FLAC files just fine.

If you have the google play app on your phone then it will detect all the music you have stored on there then you can play it via the app on the stereo.

This way you get to play your FLAC files without the loss of quality through bluetooth.

• Like 1

Phil,

That is really helpful. Thanks. I will need a phone with capacity for a large sd card if I am going to keep my music as FLACs. I am not convinced about audiophile quality in the car given one sits to one side of the sterero image and there is wind, tyre and road noise. But that is a debate for another place. Meanhile, I need to get a half decent android phone but the Motorola E appears to do all that is needed of it.

The new Lenovo P2 that has just come out seems like a good budget buy if you're after a new phone. Bit more expensive that the Moto E but a better spec if that's what you're after.

Decent processor, 3GB ram, 32GB storage with micro SD slot, 1080p 5.5" screen and a massive 5100mah battery.

I like that is also comes with a screen protector and case inside the box which is unheard of these days.

You said what I wanted to say but I didn't know how to :notme:

Hehe  :D