7 Speed DSG Gearbox, wet or dry clutch ?

7 speed dry DSG gearbox has torque limitation something about 300 Nm. So it cannot be fitted onto 150 and 190 PS diesel models.

I suppose this is the new wet 7 speed DSG with more than 500 Nm torque limitation from Passat Biturbo.

• Like 1

duro,

Yours was part of the World Wide Recall of DQ200's which was just a Service Campaign in Europe.

Just a change of Synthetic Oil to MIneral Oil & a Software Update.

NZ got a new MCU fitted.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign.

The new 7 speed wet clutch is for the more powerful engines, 4x4 etc.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Thanks Offski.

Sad news. But... my car was the personal company car of a Skoda dealer, so maybe it was somewhat cared of better than average. Let's hope.

Anyway, another nail in the coffin of a tuning box fitment. I already was almost sure it won't stand the extra torque.

Umh... I see from your link that the campaign was for cars up to july 2011. Mine is from early 2012 (actually registered april 2012). Does it make any difference? Probably not...

Edited by duro

7 speed dry DSG gearbox has torque limitation something about 300 Nm. So it cannot be fitted onto 150 and 190 PS diesel models.

I suppose this is the new wet 7 speed DSG with more than 500 Nm torque limitation from Passat Biturbo.

Thanks to all for your replies, I did not realise that there were Torque limitations on the 7 speed dry clutch unit.

Are there any known issues with the Passat 7 speed wet clutch unit.

Edited by roughrider10

duro,

Forget the 'Recall' on the DSG's as shown for New Zealand. I posted to show the engines involved there.

The Recalls and Service Campaign were covering 2009-2014 still.

The Service Campaign with Skoda UK never started to May 2014, and 2013/14 vehicles had service campaign work carried out.

Thanks to all for your replies, I did not realise that there were Torque limitations on the 7 speed dry clutch unit.

Audi use the same system on the new A4 too.

Not sure of any issues.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the dry clutch 7 speed has a limit of about 180 lb/ft, the 6 speed is limited to about 250 lb/ft and the wet clutch 7 speed has a limit of about 500 lb/ft I believe.

Ian

The new wet 7-speeder is supposedly stronger, smoother and more efficient than the wet 6-speeder it is designed to eventually replace. The old 6-speeder was beginning to feel outdated when compared to BMW and Merc 7, 8 and 9 speed DCT's.

• 1 year later...

Hi,I just bough Skoda Octavia 2 weeks ago,I seen so many complaints about 7 speed dry clutch.i don’t no how to find if my car have wet or dry clutch.mine is 1.6 TDI CR.7 speed dsg gearbox.if someone know plz tell me I’m worried about the gearbox.

Hi, yours is a dry clutch. I have the same model (Oct.II 1.6CRD DSG), bought with 15,000km. Now it has 60,000 and no problems.

Only, I gave up the idea of fitting an aftermarket speedbox to boost torque because 7-sp dry clutch DSG should have a 200Nm limit.

I think that by using it properly and with due maintenance, there shouldn't be problems. Anyway, given current demonization of diesel engines, I'm afraid our cars will be "banned" before we'll have g'change issues.

Edited by duro

Bought this car used one, the full transmission was changed at 71000k under Skoda warranty in July 2015. now car is 127000 on clock. everything fine but 3rth gear struggling to change sometimes.in manually all working good,just thinking may need to change gear oil.im not sure if I need to change gear oil or not?i don’t no much about the vw cars I used to be Toyota.if anyone give a  good idea the be great?thank you very much to you for reply 

A fresh oil is always a good idea (you don't say if you already changed it since the full transmission exchange at 71k) and it won't do bad (aside to your wallet).

I confirm that the DSG7 in Octavia 2 1.6TD is a dry clutch. In following versions (e.g. Octavia 3) they could have changed it, maybe.

As far as I understand, the DSG7-dry is a "cheaper" unit, meant to be used with lower torque engines: TD up to 77KW or small petrols (like the old 1.2/1.4).

Also, I've heard that in 2011 VAG "updated" this gearchange, probably to address known issues. My car is a spring2012 model and I hope it'll hold at least for three more years, after which we plan to change both family cars.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 12:36, Orville said:

The new wet 7-speeder is supposedly stronger, smoother and more efficient than the wet 6-speeder it is designed to eventually replace. The old 6-speeder was beginning to feel outdated when compared to BMW and Merc 7, 8 and 9 speed DCT's.

I thought they used a ZF torque converter box with a manual mode? Similar to the Audi S Tronic CVT's which have preset ratios to give the appearance of having multiple gears (rather than just an infinite number). There is a new version of dry double clutch coming through soon that will handle higher power outputs.

• Confused 1

• 4 months later...
On 27/04/2018 at 08:54, octyal said:

I thought they used a ZF torque converter box with a manual mode? Similar to the Audi S Tronic CVT's which have preset ratios to give the appearance of having multiple gears (rather than just an infinite number). There is a new version of dry double clutch coming through soon that will handle higher power outputs.

ZF torque converter boxes and CVTs are quite different things. Not that it's relevant because Kodis use the DQ500 DSG box (Direkt Schalt Getreibe). DQ500 is wet clutch. And I read that the new dry plate version had been dropped. 

Oh, and STronic's are also DSGs not CVTs according to what I have just read here:

https://www.audi.co.uk/glossary/s/s-tronic.html

Edited by lowedb
extra info

The very knowledgable bloke who replaced the mechatronic unit on our Octavia's dreaded dry 7 speed DQ200 transmission,

was emphatic that the underlying issue lay with the different *manufacturer* of this single dry transmission, being Luk,

I imagine part of the problem was possibly that LUK, keen to get a toehold in this vast market, underbid for the contract, and probably also rushed their under-engineered transmission into production.

The rest, as they say, is history.

He held any/all of the wet transmissions in high regard, basically bombproof, but was scathing about the woeful design/build quality of the DQ200, stating that he had replaced mechatronic units at 40k miles, never mind the clutch packs.

Marcus

Edit

*perhaps designer would be a more accurate word in this context*

Edited by marcusthehat
  • Like 1

Skoda alone have manufactured over 3 million and that is at a rate of 2,200 DQ200 a day. 

Plenty time to get their sh!,t together.  World Wide Recall, Service Campaigns, '34F7'. '34H5' and now TPI's from 2014, Vorsprung Durch Technik / Nein!

ŠKODA AUTO produces two-millionth DQ 200 dual-clutch transmission at Vrchlabí plant - ŠKODA Storyboard.mhtml

Edited by Offski