Headlamps - again

b1ackb1rd

I've just driven for 3 hours, 80 miles on B and unmarked roads to darkest Herefordshire to get some winter wheels (thanks David), and in so doing have scared myself witless countless times. 

I have previously commented on the poor lamps as a semi-rural driver - in the narrow twisty roads in rush hour traffic with every driver a rally driver I been a slow moving chicane annoying everyone.

Jeezuz, the lights dont pick up verges, they dont highlight hedges - doing 40mph felt reckless. 

How the absolute f*** can Skoda market a car like this???

5k xenon ia the answer

I live deep in the sticks and it's staggering the difference aslong as you have the de modules (fishbowls) in the lights

Get a decent kit it takes max ½ hour to fit or longer if you are after an oe look under bonnet (I fitted my ballasts in the inner wings total time to fit 2 hours best time on a fabia was 30 minutes

• Like 1

Yes know what you mean the headlights are very poor.Rightly or wrongly on country lanes and roads I switch on  the Scouts so called " fog lights ? "to illuminate the sides of the road.

At least this way I can see where the verges ,kerbs and hedges are.

• Like 1

my front lights look cross-eyed!  And no, I can't see where I'm going on the country lanes around here either. Kerbed it yesterday, couldn't see the side of the road.

point me in the direction of replacement bulbs or something - a link would be good.

Edited by Morgana
  • Like 1

I read that the aim can be adjusted with the allen screw behind the headlamp, I turned it fully in both directions to little effect. 

I'm very tempted to try 100w bulbs, I REALLY don't want to mess about with HIDs no matter how great they are

I read that the aim can be adjusted with the allen screw behind the headlamp, I turned it fully in both directions to little effect. 

I'm very tempted to try 100w bulbs, I REALLY don't want to mess about with HIDs no matter how great they are

Just be careful with 100w bulbs

Extra current draw may cause wiring issues

Extra heat in the de lens (fishbowls) may distort the beam pattern even more it has been mention on the fabia Monte Carlos that have a single bulb and shutter for high and low beam the lens may have distorted

Night breakers or equivalent if you don't want to go hid and check the beam patterns

• Like 1

Just be careful with 100w bulbs

Extra current draw may cause wiring issues

Extra heat in the de lens (fishbowls) may distort the beam pattern even more it has been mention on the fabia Monte Carlos that have a single bulb and shutter for high and low beam the lens may have distorted

Night breakers or equivalent if you don't want to go hid and check the beam patterns

I've also seen a few cases where 100w bulbs have literally melted the bulb holders out of the lamp shells (expensive because it means you need new shells).

Second the recommendation of Osram Nightbreaker+ (or later).

The projector headlamps are the one thing I am glad to be shot of with the Roomster.  Main beam was OK but dipped beam was abysmal.  The Toledo has got some decent lights, that's really welcome.

I do, however, miss the panoramic roof, the better all round visibility and the parking ticket holder on the windscreen.

If there had been an updated Roomster of an equivalent size........

HID users ...

I have the single projector headlamps in my car, with the cornering function that turns the beam into a corner with the steering wheel.

I was taking to a chap today with the same car (like you do in car parks  :) ), this chap had fitted a HID kit to his Roomster and it had caused he moving headlamps to go crazy moving out of sync with the steering wheel and rendering them utterly useless.

He described them as an expensive, quality set of UK sourced HIDs bought from a company whose name I have seen recommended on these pages.

Any thoughts, experiences?

HID users ...

I have the single projector headlamps in my car, with the cornering function that turns the beam into a corner with the steering wheel.

I was taking to a chap today with the same car (like you do in car parks :) ), this chap had fitted a HID kit to his Roomster and it had caused he moving headlamps to go crazy moving out of sync with the steering wheel and rendering them utterly useless.

He described them as an expensive, quality set of UK sourced HIDs bought from a company whose name I have seen recommended on these pages.

Any thoughts, experiences?

Unless he fitted them with a hammer it would be no more stress on the fittings fitting hid than changing a bulb normally

Like wise on our older Vauxhall corsa that had cornering lamps the lamps usually re sync when the lamps are switched if it didn't pull both stalks when the ignition is on this would switch from left hand to right hand drive and repeat to re sync

Like I say unless he was ham fisted I can't see it happening

• Like 1

not really 35w generally lasts longer but for the cost get the canbus friendly ones 

hid direct suppled mine the only other thing you will need is the bulb adaptors and some replacement headlamp rear caps just incase you want to take the off if you sell the car 

cost on these is about £20 

do you have a kit or do you want a link to some ???

See what comes in the kit first

Your bulb holders for factory bulbs are part of the loom so the bulb pushes in to the lamps and these clips hold it in place as the wrong is already on the bulb

You could probably pick them up on eBay as well (the seller may even sell them as well)

Are you fitting this yourself or someone else doing for you ??