Headlamps - again

b1ackb1rd

I think step one has to be a trip to Halfords tomorrow to get some brighter bulbs for the dipped lights. I've got the variety with separate main & dip bulbs. Anything to improve things a bit, then maybe some front 'fog lights'. I've read the guide on the forum about how to retrofit them.

Make sure the headlights are clean and well adjusted too. Although fogs will put more light out, it will all be foreground and probably hinder your distance vision rather than help it.

Seriously, on a £ for £ basis against the results you'll achieve you have to look at a set of HID's - a set of Nightbreakers are £30, my HID's were £35.

Just to add, nightbreakers are road legal whereas a drop-in HID kit isn't. The beam pattern won't be as good as a proper D based HID bulb in a correctly designed projector even if the cutoff is mostly correct.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't use the HID kit but making sure you and any others who may follow your advise are aware of the legality.

• Like 2

The beam pattern may not be a perfect match (however I still have the twin Mysteron circles that the standard bulbs gave on full beam), but with the HIDs I can now see to drive at 60mph on country lanes - so I don't care. 

• Like 1

You lot with the HID kits (I have the facelift H3 version DE lamps), any kits of ebay to recommend etc?

I did the Nightbreaker change, but they'd do better in the full beams than dipped beam...

Think 35W 4300K kit is what I want.

Edited by WAUOla

I am no familiar with the HID kits, but I do question the multi-box arrangements.

I guess there are some resistor way of additional box(es) to make the monitoring system think it's all OK on such a newer car?

I deally; 35W + 4300 kelvin + H3 + all-in-one-ballast + bulb harness incl rubber gasket

I am no familiar with the HID kits, but I do question the multi-box arrangements.

I guess there are some resistor way of additional box(es) to make the monitoring system think it's all OK on such a newer car?

I deally; 35W + 4300 kelvin + H3 + all-in-one-ballast + bulb harness incl rubber gasket

The resistor (if fitted) is there to maintain the current draw of an incandescent lamp, so that the "light failed monitor"doesn't generate a spurious warning.

• 2 weeks later...

The resistor (if fitted) is there to maintain the current draw of an incandescent lamp, so that the "light failed monitor"doesn't generate a spurious warning.

I got that, but was hoping for some kits with "all in one" units - ballasts including the resistor needed to avoid bulb fault warning.

At the end of the day, it seems few of these kits have that (I haven't seen any atleast), so maybe just ordering 2x additional headlamp back caps and a eBay-kit would get us going with proper light.

With local MOT rules though, I need to be able to swap back to H3 bulbs when needed, with no trace of HID kit. Luckily the Roomster 1.2 TSI engine bay looks spacious enough though,

I love this thread surely there must be a way of "swapping" headlights from different models as i have seen some Fabias/ Roomsters around with a combo of non/projector and like main beam lights together in one unit?

plus those that are thinking of HIDS take a read of this article (interesting read, totally confusing tho!) lol  http://greyhead.co.uk/are-aftermarket-hid-lights-legal-in-the-uk

Edited by bombheads12

Can you just buy some new bulbs and get the garage chap to fit them?  If, so, which bulbs?

Are these ok?  If so I will order some. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OSRAM-BREAKER-UNLIMITED-halogen-headlamp-64210NBU-HCB/dp/B00EPLCPR

Deleted after seeing your photo

Edited by bryanb

I was in Skoda dealership picking up some mats today, and we discussed further on the Hella 153874 rubber cover that needs modification when entering a HID kit setup through them...

I didn't get the whole thing, but there was a 3T0 partno. on the guys ETKA, and it was £20 per cover... It did however state 85mm dia., so I'll check this when getting home.

I was in Skoda dealership picking up some mats today, and we discussed further on the Hella 153874 rubber cover that needs modification when entering a HID kit setup through them...

I didn't get the whole thing, but there was a 3T0 partno. on the guys ETKA, and it was £20 per cover... It did however state 85mm dia., so I'll check this when getting home.

Mine is soft rubber, the fitter merely cut a star in the cover and fed the wires through

I am sure there are different partnumbers to it, depending on which head lamp unit ones got.

Mine is the facelift DE type... So Hella 153 874 part no, I see ebay lists them for Qasqhai 2010 and newer too, probably universal Hella part for sure, at 85mm.

Speaking off...
Finally got to drive Roomster the other night, as my misses really likes driving it too. I then started thinking about no dim switch for the instrument lights. Anyone got another dip & dim type switch that suits? will get the dealership to program the instrument lights always on for me, I hate having regular lights and no idea where to operate buttons in the car.

Edited by WAUOla

• 2 weeks later...

In and out of dealership the last three days with the Roomster, as it got removable towing hook and cruisecontrol fitted. Of course delayed 1 day I got to spend in a Rapid 1.2 86hp, and then I even managed to forget the new dust caps for the xenon retrofit. Will update when that is in place. :)

Had to fork out approx £45 for 2 pieces of Hella 153 874 - VAG no 5N0 9841 607.

Edited by WAUOla

Those are H4 replacements; we were discussing H7 replacements.

2 hours ago, bombheads12 said:

How does this provide full beam/dip beam in pre-fl models?

• 2 years later...

Great achievements today. Realized my error, having H3 kit when I need the H7 kit... :D

Any long termers or others, with a qualified consideration on the thin wires inside the headlamps, feeding a 35W Xenon ballast? Is it good enough?
I was a bit shocked looking at those thin wires! No wonder these halogens are sucky.