Not starting

Heyup,

I have a Skoda Rapid 1.6 Diesel, the 3 year MOT was conducted on 9th November, Car is officially 3 years old on 31st November.

However, I'm currently having a problem where when I do a half key turn, the radio comes on, the DRL's come on, but the dash screen does not, I then put the clutch down, the car sounds like it's going to start, but then shortly after it cuts out, and then proceeds to chunter like it's struggling after that.

I've no idea what it is, but if someone could help, that'd be great.

Apparently a friend suggested I should ask if someone is local with  a vagcom cable.

Cheers,

Matt

Have you tried a good set of jump leads and another car to try and start it?

After you have checked the tightness of the terminals.  Sounds like you have a flat / dying battery.

That's strange, I did a health check at Halfords in the Summer, they said the battery was in great condition, and even showed me the results, said there was plenty of juice in there.

I don't really have another car to hand, or jump leads for that matter :/

It's just strangely weird that this happens straight after an MOT..

They sometimes cone together, first MOT, Manufacturers Warranty runs out and some not very good batteries give up the ghost as the cold weather season arrives.

Maybe something else though.

Typical that this is both MOT and Warranty lol. I'm hoping I can get the issue identified before 31st November. so if it does need something new, I can get it replaced on the warranty.

But it's not very helpful if I can't really move my car, to get anywhere to have it checked. 1st world problems.

My guess would be that the Instrument panel is malfunctioning. The immobiliser device is built into the instrument panel hence the engine dies shortly after it starts. You should be able to verify with a VCDS cable.

Take the car to the dealer as soon as you can, instrument panels are expensive to replace!

However, I'm currently having a problem where when I do a half key turn, the radio comes on, the DRL's come on, but the dash screen does not, I then put the clutch down, the car sounds like it's going to start, but then shortly after it cuts out, and then proceeds to chunter like it's struggling after that.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/384331-dead-instrument-cluster-no-power/

"If you open your car in the morning and dashboard is black (middle screen) mean it came... You've got problem with an instrument cluster (IC).

To be sure you should try to start engine... When IC is still dead (no lights on dash) and engine cut off after 2s - that all.

You have got two ways:

1. You can call your breakdown cover company and ask them to sort it out... but probably your car will end it's journey at Skoda (Seat) dealer... Ask them how much will cost new one...

2. You can try repair it as short DIY job. All your problems are inside IC ... These are bad connection pins (cold pins).

You need to disassembley IC to the circuit board and reheat these pins by soldering station...

I did it with success... Lights are back and car started as usually... :D

I hope that will save your money... ;) "

So if the OP's car is still in Warranty till the end of November there is Skoda Assist running, so get the call into them, let the Service Van & Technician come out, 

then they can arrange your vehicles recovery to the Dealership and the courtesy car & the Warranty work can be done.

• Like 1

So if the OP's car is still in Warranty till the end of November there is Skoda Assist running, so get the call into them, let the Service Van & Technician come out, 

then they can arrange your vehicles recovery to the Dealership and the courtesy car & the Warranty work can be done.

As above, get it in the dealer network ASAP under warrenty and then consider extending the warranty also

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

OK, the funny thing is, the car started perfectly fine this morning, so I could actually drive it to the dealership.

Went back to halfords, said the battery is in good charge... and is charging correctly. So probably is the Instrument Cluster,

When I first turned it on this morning, it did say: Error - Stop/start

But then I've turned the car off and on a few times, and seen the message since...

Do you suggest I still go down to Skoda?

Edited by Mattz0r

Yes, go to ŠKODA while the car is still under warranty and stop asking Halfords to diagnose. A Halfords health check is about as useful as asking a tax inspector to look at your prostate!

• Like 1

I had it twice.

Once a Seat Assist came and car started after half an hour... He said he didn't find any problem and asked to go to a dealer... They didn't find any faults as well.

The second time my car was out of warranty already. So, I fixed it myself.

Edited by 67igor1

So now you're saying I should wait till it happens again? I believe I have an extended warrenty already, with the company I purchased the car through, I'll double check all the paper work before I purchase an extended warranty through Skoda.

Could just be as simple as the connections on the back of the cluster. If it does happen again and you are out of warranty I would re-make those connections before doing anything else.

If your car started already then a dealer will not find any fault...

Yeah, that's my worry :( and they probably won't believe me when I tell them.....

Yes they will. All faults are recorded by the corresponding control module so they will be able to verify your story. And in any case, you should report the fault beforehand so that when it happens again they will have already a history in their logs.

My advice is to go to the dealer right away.

Edited by eyegr
  • Like 1

So now you're saying I should wait till it happens again? I believe I have an extended warrenty already, with the company I purchased the car through, I'll double check all the paper work before I purchase an extended warranty through Skoda.

I'm saying do both. As the car is under warranty, get it in there now and explain to them the fault. However, if they fail to find it and send you away again, make sure you then call ŠKODA Assist the moment it happens again so you can have a qualified 2nd person validate that a fault was there. Will help a lot when subsequently yelling at the dealer to actually fix it.

Edited by chrisgreen
  • Like 1

It is very important for your pocket that Warranty Issues are actually looked at while in Warranty, and then if the warranty expires and finally the fault is diagnosed it is covered.

Be sure that the Dealership employee on the Service Desk or the workshop manager have your report of a fault on the system and they are not just saying wait and see if it occurs again.

Just an update, sorry for double post.

They managed to somehow detect a sporadic fault, and have ordered the part in for replacement :) FOC under Warranty.

It would be interesting to see if the new part is the same as the old one or if they somehow changed it to prevent the fault from reappearing.