insurance Discount with Dash Cams

So, there are places now offering discount for fitting dash cam units in your car, my question is though, do they have an approved list or does any dash cam qualify as it's more than not fitting one?

Just looking at getting two cheaper ones for now but I don't know of there is an approved list of cameras or not? Anyone know?

Sorry not an answer just a question?

Do Dash Cams fitted and reducing insurance premiums have to be always running and not just when a driver chooses that they are driving as per the Driving test', 

or is it that they are just supposed to be filming and recording if there is an accident and that footage is saved?

(a silent witness that can show you as the innocent party or the one that caused an accident.)

Sorry not an answer just a question?

Do Dash Cams fitted and reducing insurance premiums have to be always running and not just when a driver chooses that they are driving as per the Driving test',

or is it that they are just supposed to be filming and recording if there is an accident and that footage is saved?

(a silent witness that can show you as the innocent party or the one that caused an accident.)

If you're in a driving test it's still recording, you'd just mute the microphone if the assessor is an a*se? It only runs whilst the engines running.

I really didn't mean an actual driving test, just driving a car as you did in a driving test. As per highway code.

A little lost with what your question is, do you mean do they have to run when your not driving? They are ran off of the switched live (usually) so they will only record if you have the ignition/engine on. They come with a parking mode (some do anyway) for when you are stationary for a while but they wont record if you've switched the engine off and are away from the car if thats what you mean?

I suppose the question is will your insurance be invalidated if the camera is off either deliberately or through failure?

• Like 1

I suppose the question is will your insurance be invalidated if the camera is off either deliberately or through failure?

Snake man speak with forked tongue :p  

I can't believe that this would enter the thoughts of any of our fine, upstanding insurance companies  :no:

Gaz

• Like 1

Snake man speak with forked tongue :p  

I can't believe that this would enter the thoughts of any of our fine, upstanding insurance companies  :no:

Gaz

Cynicism is a way of life not just an attitude :rock:

9X6rQuS.jpg

• Like 1

Wife has had Transcend camera in and didn't qualify for discount. We rang loads of places year ago, Reason is you can turn it off or not run it (or eject the chip and swallow it if you cause a pile up)

I have heard there are cameras out there built in that you cant turn off, bit like those in America where your driving is monitored continuously, hers is there for peace of mind on motorway.

Wife has had Transcend camera in and didn't qualify for discount. We rang loads of places year ago, Reason is you can turn it off or not run it (or eject the chip and swallow it if you cause a pile up)

I suppose that's not unreasonable

• 3 weeks later...

I remember reading somewhere about being obliged to provide footage if you make a claim on a policy with a dash cam disclosed. For me mine is a personal piece of mind that in the event I can use it, thankfully I never have. However my dad is a taxi driver, he has one, but hasn't got a policy that expects footage in the event of an accident and has sent them footage a couple of times that they've been happy to use. The most recent was when another taxi driver reversed into him and claimed he hit the back of him. This one is the best though. Basically the Subaru driver is going way too fast around the bend, misses the petrol station by literally meters, takes out 3 solid cast iron bollards, which is what come hurtling across the road. The top of the bollard comes first, and at some speed which demolishes a wall, the second larger part hits my dads front NS corner, and rips off the corner. The driver got out and ran! The police used the footage as a base to charge him from what I remember. 

These are the bollards he took out - the three slimmer ones are the replacements and the closest one he didn't take out.

• Like 1

What a terrible dash cam review. He thinks most dash cams are mounted on the dashboard and doesn't get why the power cable is long, pointing out it can get in the way of other controls... 

I saw this recently on a comparison site. It said if the footage is not available if requested, the difference in premium will be due. Your legal 3rd party liability obligations will not likely be invalidated by it at any rate.

Edited by Huskoda
  • Like 1

I saw this recently on a comparison site. It said if the footage is not available if requested, the difference in premium will be due. Your legal 3rd party liability obligations will not likely be invalidated by it at any rate.

I understand that stance where a discount has been given. I'd like to think however there was a clear premium listed upon quotation for this instance, rather than 'we would have charged you £5000 not £300 Mr FUBAR'.......... This has always been my concern with insurance discounts, should the camera fail (twice has happened me with cameras just dying), or should I forget to put the memory card back in etc etc. Interestingly the cheapest quote I got for the vRS this year with dash cam discount was £500 ish and I was able to get almost half the price without such a discount. Cameras have come along enough now to have a common standardisation rating given in conjunction with insurers to help the consumer more in getting full benefit from having one. The rate of further development is too great to have a specific approved list which isn't out of date every other day with another new better one coming out by one of the thousands of manufacturers. Good to see that AF has now got a blanket acceptance of merely a camera being fitted, but that could easily be a potato.