Bye Bye Rapid Sport

After almost 3 years of ownership (and having had Skodas for my last 4 cars) I have said goodbye to the Rapid Sport and Skoda.

I handed it back to the finance company under the Voluntary Withdrawal condition on the finance contract as the monstrous depreciation meant it was worth around 2.5k less than I owed even after almost 3 years of a 3.5 year PCP. This made PXing impossible without being massively out of pocket.

I have really enjoyed ownership however the Skoda USP has always been VW quality at a bargain price however this no longer seems to be the case, I looked at replacing it with for example an Octy but the prices just aren't competitive anymore and the RRPs now seem to be approx the same as the equivalent VW, so why not just buy a VW and get the latest tech??

Anyway, I have took the plunge and opted for a Kia as they seem to have filled the gap in the market for decent spec and build quality at a very reasonable price for those who don't care what badge is on the front of their car.

I will still be frequenting Briskoda though as its a great motoring forum...

Edited by VRSbilly
  • Like 1

I agree that Skoda seems to have lost their way as a value for money brand.  I've been happy with my 4 Fabias over the years but thought long and hard about buying my latest one.  I ended up with a good deal but it wasn't easy.

I did consider Dacia as I think they have filled the gap left by Skoda.  God knows where Skoda will be in a few years time when I come to renew.  Hopefully brands such as Dacia will continue to be competitive in the market.

My wife has a Dacia Sandero Stepway and it is a fine car and amazing value . I have a 1.2 TSI Toledo and it is interesting to compare the two. Overall and  condsidering everything I would say that there is absolutely nothing in it .The Dacia is more fun to drive and rides better but the Toledo is just more sophisticated and up to date. A typical example is throttle response which is instantaneous in the Toledo but there is a split second delay in power pick up with the Dacia. I think it is a case of you get what you pay for.

Found the same issue with P/X value when I wanted to change from a petrol Spaceback I bought new in 2014, to diesel for better economy. Thankfully our local Seat dealer came up with a very good deal on their top spec Toledo TDI demo, being far more generous as to their offer on my car over the Skoda dealers I'd tried.

However I dread to think what the Seat will be worth further down the line; had already lost nearly 8k off the RRP when I bought it at just over a year old  :wonder:

TP

Found the same issue with P/X value when I wanted to change from a petrol Spaceback I bought new in 2014, to diesel for better economy. Thankfully our local Seat dealer came up with a very good deal on their top spec Toledo TDI demo, being far more generous as to their offer on my car over the Skoda dealers I'd tried.

However I dread to think what the Seat will be worth further down the line; had already lost nearly 8k off the RRP when I bought it at just over a year old  :wonder:

TP

Most people don't know about the voluntary termination clause in the finance agreement. Bottom line is u can hand the car in and walk away (regardless of mileage!) once 50% of the finance is paid off so don't get ripped off my low ball PX prices. hand the car back and negotiate a better discount on your next car.

• 2 weeks later...

Good choice. In the family we run a 2005 Picanto. It has never been back to the dealer and all of the bulbs are original. A stonking recommendation. Due to increasing popularity Kia are also raising prices - not the bargain basement it used to be.

Edited by edbostan

I thought if you did the voluntary termination then it went against you for other deals? I have just over a year left on mine but would happily look at handing back if there were no downsides.

Nope not true, no effect on credit etc and can you imagine going into a dealership and then saying oh no we aren't going make this sale as it says here you handed back a previous car. Please keep your thousands of pounds.. I can't!