spare wheel and jack

Where is the best place to buy a wheel and jack for a skoda octavia estate

Do you want a full size spare or a smaller emergency only spare?

The Skoda spare is a 16" wheel with a 205/55 tyre, so if like me you have 225/45 tyres on 17" wheels then it counts as an emergency only spare with a 50mph limit.

And like me, if you have a 205/55/16  spare on a steel rim and you run on alloys with the same size tyre, then you are also limited to 50 mph. According to our forum and the 50mph warning sticker on the wheel.

• Thanks 1

And like me, if you have a 205/55/16  spare on a steel rim and you run on alloys with the same size tyre, then you are also limited to 50 mph. According to our forum and the 50mph warning sticker on the wheel.

If you buy it as an aftermarket spare it will come with the speed limit sticker as they don't know what size tyres are on your car. My car had a steel spare supplied with a factory spare identical to alloys and it has no sticker. If the tyre is the same rim size and section there is no speed restriction.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

New tyre fitted yesterday - discovered it was leaking, so changed it only to find that the full size spare (exactly the same 205 55 16R) was stickered with the 50mph limit. VERY UNIMPRESSED as I had a further 130 miles to go. I will be consulting Skoda on this point as a 50mph limit makes it little better than a spacesaver. Need to know if I have to go though the expense of buying a spare alloy and new tyre to safeguard long journeys - eg 600 mile across europe.

As has previously been said if the spare tyre is the IDENTICAL size to your punctured tyre then the speed limit will not apply (personally in that case I  would remove the sticker) the 16” spare wheels are used in cars fitted with 16” - 19” wheels (where front brakes allow) from the factory, hence the need for the sticker.

The rim width and tyre type may well be different to the other 3 on the car, so I certainly wouldn’t be pushing the car through corners as the car could grip differently on that corner of the car, but normal driving should be fine.

Thanks Gizmo68 ! It would help if Skoda / VAG put this info in the manual and on the actual sticker. I was warned that exceeding 50mph mesant that the tyre was liable to explode! I am always conscious that even if the tyres are the same size a different manufacturer / pattern will handle differently and therefore taking things easily and not pushing it hard. But that is my style of driving anyway - The tyres I have just replaced had done 48K! (The original Michelin energy X as fitted to the car when new.

Well I guess it is a matter of opinion so far. My spare wheel is steel and the spare tyre is identical to those fitted to my alloys. Confusion arises when talking about spare wheels and spare tyres.

I'd be happy to run at a normal speed on my spare until I got to a tyre fitter and have no personal fear of the tyre exploding. But as to the legality/advisability of removing the warning label- who knows.

I was advised that even fitting the same brand and spec of tyre to a steel wheel would still require significant caution due to the difference in weight between an alloy and a steel, which given the size of an alloy hub I suspect is not that big a difference! Close inspection of the tyre shows it is teh same speed rating a 91V!

Edited by 2cvhound

I was advised that even fitting the same brand and spec of tyre to a steel wheel would still require significant caution due to the difference in weight between an alloy and a steel, which given the size of an alloy hub I suspect is not that big a difference! Close inspection of the tyre shows it is teh same speed rating a 91V!

Whoever advised you was talking utter ******.

As others have said, a full size 16" "real tyre", even if a different brand from the other 3 tyres can be treated as normal.

We're only doing 70mph for cryin' out loud (or thereabouts).

One would be a bit more cautious if running with a skinny space saver tyre or with one 16" wheel and three big fan 18" or 19" wheels.

It's just common sense.

• Like 1

Common sense is what I thought, but Skoda should remove the 50mph warning sticker which is most of the way round the spare.

As has been already said Skoda use the same spare whether you have 16", 17", 18" or 19" wheels - so for most buyers (i.e. those with 17", 18" or 19" wheels) the 50mph sticker is required.

I can't see them bothering to create a special part number without the 50mph sticker only for cars with 16" wheels.

As has been already said Skoda use the same spare whether you have 16", 17", 18" or 19" wheels - so for most buyers (i.e. those with 17", 18" or 19" wheels) the 50mph sticker is required.

I can't see them bothering to create a special part number without the 50mph sticker only for cars with 16" wheels.

Fair enough! But if I use it with the "sticker" which is firmly fixed I am likely to be stopped for breaking the speed limit! I will wait for better weather to take it out and either remove or paint over it. Advice in the handbook would have been welcome.

Where is the sticker located? There is no sticker on the side of the wheel which is visible in my spare wheel well. This is a full size steel wheel that came with the car in August 2015.

Where is the sticker located? There is no sticker on the side of the wheel which is visible in my spare wheel well. This is a full size steel wheel that came with the car in August 2015.

It's on the wheel and is bright yellow so you can't miss it.

My Octavia was registered in July 2015 (built in April 2015) and has 17" alloy wheels - the spare is a 16" steel (so it can't be called a "full size" on my car) and has the bright yellow sticker.

Have you tried looking on the other side of the spare? I think they only put the sticker on the outside - which when in the spare wheel well would be the bottom side (to allow the toolkit to side in the wheel).

Have you tried looking on the other side of the spare? I think they only put the sticker on the outside - which when in the spare wheel well would be the bottom side (to allow the toolkit to side in the wheel).

No, that's why I was asking where the sticker was. I had the wheel out when it was new, but that was 18 months ago and I don't remember seeing a sticker. I can't be bothered to get it out again to check at the moment.

Sounds as though you haven't got the sticker. It runs around 3/4 of the outward facing side of the wheel face, thereby advertising that you should only be doing 50mph, which is a pain if it is exactly the same size and speed rating as your normal alloys. Because it is on the outside you wouldn't see it unless you get the wheel out of the well.

The down side of this forum is that it makes me curious about stuff I've never considered before! I have just checked my spare wheel (from factory) and it is an 18, the same as my wheels. However, not only does it have a sticker limiting the speed to 50mph but the tyre itself has a 50mph limitation in the markings next to where the size is marked. I guess that means that, regardless of whether the tyre is the same diameter as the other wheels, you are limited to 50mph by the tyre itself.

The down side of this forum is that it makes me curious about stuff I've never considered before! I have just checked my spare wheel (from factory) and it is an 18, the same as my wheels. However, not only does it have a sticker limiting the speed to 50mph but the tyre itself has a 50mph limitation in the markings next to where the size is marked. I guess that means that, regardless of whether the tyre is the same diameter as the other wheels, you are limited to 50mph by the tyre itself.

Just to confuse you further, that will be a "spacesaver" spare, not a "full size" spare. They tyre is wayyyyy narrower, hence the recommended speed restriction.

A "full size" spare is often a 16" steel wheel, usually with a 205/55/16 tyre, it is still not the same width as the vRS 225 section tyres, but will cause less handling/grip imbalance.

I made the mistake of purchasing my SE Sport 1.4TSI without a spare wheel - just the gunk and pump. I have been looking at buying a steel wheel and tyre from somewhere such as Tyreleader. However they offer three alternative steel wheels all around the £33 mark  -  https://cars.tyreleader.co.uk/steel-wheels/skoda/octavia/octavia-2692/22896.

After fitting a tyre this should work out a lot cheaper than £165 Skoda want for a spare. 

I have 17" wheels on my car with 225/45R17 tyres fitted. I understand from this forum that the standard Skoda full size spare for all variants of the Octavia Mk3 is a 16" rim with 205/55 tyre fitted. I would prefer to purchases a spare wheel as close a possible to the Skoda standard and would appreciate advice as to which of the Tyreleader alternatives would be most suitable. Only difference seem to be the 6.5 x 16" or 6 x 16" options. (I assume 6 and 6.5 are the rim widths) 

I just checked mine as I expected to find, as somebody else has described, that the tyre was a dedicated spare wheel tyre, limited to 50mph and for temporary use only despite the 'normal' 205/55/16 size (my car runs 225 wide 17's, so not quite normal for me, but very normal compared to the noddy car space saver versions). Turns out I must be thinking of my previous car, as I have a brand new (still got the coloured lines round the surface) Dunlop SP Sport. Not my first choice of main tyre, but very decent all the same and seems like a total waste considering it won't ever go fast or very far!

Could have shaved £100 off the price of the car right there...

29 minutes ago, davhardy said:

I made the mistake of purchasing my SE Sport 1.4TSI without a spare wheel - just the gunk and pump. I have been looking at buying a steel wheel and tyre from somewhere such as Tyreleader. However they offer three alternative steel wheels all around the £33 mark  -  https://cars.tyreleader.co.uk/steel-wheels/skoda/octavia/octavia-2692/22896.

After fitting a tyre this should work out a lot cheaper than £165 Skoda want for a spare. 

I have 17" wheels on my car with 225/45R17 tyres fitted. I understand from this forum that the standard Skoda full size spare for all variants of the Octavia Mk3 is a 16" rim with 205/55 tyre fitted. I would prefer to purchases a spare wheel as close a possible to the Skoda standard and would appreciate advice as to which of the Tyreleader alternatives would be most suitable. Only difference seem to be the 6.5 x 16" or 6 x 16" options. (I assume 6 and 6.5 are the rim widths) 

Can't see the difference between the first two in that link. You are best off with a 16 x 6.5J (yes, it is rim width) with a 205/55/16 tyre IMO. Don't forget you will also need a jack & tools.