spare wheel and jack

30 minutes ago, davhardy said:

Only difference seem to be the 6.5 x 16" or 6 x 16" options. (I assume 6 and 6.5 are the rim widths) 

Both of these are approved for the Octy (at least they are for my version). You can check what's type approved if you care by checking the following link, but for a spare wheel I think either will be fine, as long as the stud pattern / centre bore is correct and offset is not ridiculous.

http://www.skoda-auto.de/SiteCollectionDocuments/Serienreifen_Skoda_2014_07_1.pdf

Like others on here i didnt want a "space saver" or restricted speed spare wheel. I bought the skoda oem spare wheel tool kit @ £41. Then I trawled through a well known auction site for alloys. I have a Scout with polar wheels which are 7J x 17 h2et 45 with 225/50/r17 tyres. I bought an Audi alloy which was 7.5J x 17 h2 et45 with a michelin primacy tyre (5mm tread) 225/50/r17. Cost £45

Rolling circumference is exactly the same. Only difference is the wheel is 12mm wider which doesn't really make a difference. It is a tight fit in the wheel well but does go. I also have the VBF so the slight rise of the floor is hidden. 

Good to have peace of mind and flexibilty of spare or tyre gunk.

7 hours ago, knfruitbat said:

If you order a new car with a spare wheel, do you get the tool kit that fits inside that makes it useable? or is that another extra?

Yes if you order a spare from new you will get a toolkit. You wont get the compressor and tyre gunk though.

We had a Mondeo TDCi about 12 years ago and it came with a spare tyre that was identical to the 4 fitted to the car but on a steel and not an alloy. It came fitted with a sticker restricting it to 50 mph. I thought it was crazy so I asked at Ford why the speed restriction. Answer came back that although the tyre was the same as the other and the wheel dimensionally identical and used the same bolts it was a lightweight wheel manufactured to save weight thus had a lower load rating resulting in the speed restriction.

So I simply went to our local scrappy and found a Mondeo with an identical alloy to ours and paid a few pounds for it. Got the mobile tyre chappy up the street to swap the tyres over and sold the steel spare on e-bay (actually for more than I paid for the alloy).

Result.

35 minutes ago, skidpan said:

it was a lightweight wheel manufactured to save weight thus had a lower load rating resulting in the speed restriction.

My b&llsh&t detector is ringing overtime at that comment - I've never heard of a steel wheel being so badly manufactured that it needs a speed limit of 50mph (80km/h).

And everything I can find, including advice from the RAC, is that if the tyres are identical then even if three wheels are alloy and one steel then there is NO additional speed limit - they do however urge caution as the different weight and offset of the steel wheel will make a small difference to the handling.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

My b&llsh&t detector is ringing overtime at that comment - I've never heard of a steel wheel being so badly manufactured that it needs a speed limit of 50mph (80km/h).

Lightweight does not mean badly manufactured. It can mean its made to a lighter specification and thus requires a limit imposing for safety. If you had a "normal" steel wheel from a lower spec model and the steel spare from ours side by side it should have been possible to tell but when the solution was free why bother.

3 hours ago, skidpan said:

It can mean its made to a lighter specification and thus requires a limit imposing for safety.

Can you find any manufacturers of steel wheels who state a speed limit of 50mph (80km/h), because I can't.

I stand by calling b*llsh*t to the dealer's reply.

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Can you find any manufacturers of steel wheels who state a speed limit of 50mph (80km/h), because I can't.

I stand by calling b*llsh*t to the dealer's reply.

Think what you want. I never said Mondeo's could only do 50 mph if they were fitted with steel wheels so please do not make it appear that I did. To repeat myself the dealer said the steel spares used on cars with alloys were made to a lighter construction than ordinary steel wheels thus the 50 mph limit.

What was he going to gain by telling me a load of bull5h1t.

35 minutes ago, skidpan said:

What was he going to gain by telling me a load of bull5h1t.

Making himself appear to know what he's talking about? Do you really think that you can believe, without question, what a dealer tells you?

I spent several years as a senior technical manager at an automotive consultancy, and never came across any steel wheels that were made of a lighter construction that would limit their speed rating to 50mph. This limit is always due to the construction of the tyre not the wheel.

Believe the dealer if you want, but in my experience (both personal and work) this is an occasion where what the dealer has said is not based on fact.

Edited by PetrolDave

If I fit buy a steel spare wheel for my Octavia SE sport, will I also need to find different wheel bolts to fit it or will the ones used to retain the alloys be suitable? 

If I need different bolts do these come as part of the Skoda spare wheel change kit Pt No. 5E0093860 or do I need to source elsewhere? If so any suggestions where?  

I have Dezent TD wheels for my winters (although I will not be using them any more as I just opted for Michelin Cross Climates this time). They're a bit more expensive than steels, but pretty good value for money in my opinion, and they have a version type approved for the Octy that uses the OEM bolts.

On 22/01/2017 at 21:34, 2cvhound said:

Sounds as though you haven't got the sticker. It runs around 3/4 of the outward facing side of the wheel face, thereby advertising that you should only be doing 50mph, which is a pain if it is exactly the same size and speed rating as your normal alloys. Because it is on the outside you wouldn't see it unless you get the wheel out of the well.

Having had my first TPMS warning, caused by a screw through the tread, I can confirm that there are definitely no warning stickers anywhere on my factory fitted spare wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

im looking at getting a Oct Mk3 VRS on PCH with Black Pack which comes with 19" alloys

as its a stock order i cannot specify the spare tyre

does anyone know the part number from Skoda for space savers and jack kit?

i just need a tyre to get me out of trouble and onto a tyre shop

Thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Octavia-VRS-Spare-Space-Saver-Wheel-Tool-Kit-5K0601011AA-5E0093860A-/251876495282?fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda|Model%3AOctavia&hash=item3aa5024fb2:g:y~8AAOSwDk5UD2qP

New Octavia (2014on) VRS Spare Space Saver Wheel & Tool Kit

Part Numbers: 5K0601011AA & 5E0093860A

That's a crazy amount of money - do yourself a favour and pick up a second hand steel/alloy wheel and tyre, plus a jack kit separately. 

This should do the job nicely: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Golf-Seat-Leon-skoda-Octavia-spare-wheel-kit-size-125-70-18-unused-/272436789372?hash=item3f6e7f807c:g:9sgAAOSwB09YG12w

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Thanks for the link

would it fit in the back ok yes ?

Wish I hadn't read that last post:emoticon-0101-sadsmile:  I just picked up a used vRS and all it had was the compressor. Paid the supplying dealer £168 for a spare wheel and jack. Oh well. At least I got to keep the compressor - should come in useful for the kids paddling pool etc. :D

Rich

• Like 1

Those ebay sellers are weird about selling to NI and Highlands etc. that really puts me off ordering when they're going to get on like idiots because I dare to live outside the M25 / M62.

Would rather get from the dealer who isn't going to be a weirdo about postage.

On 14/02/2017 at 09:38, threadbear said:

Surely any tyre space saver or not and restricted to 50 mph is better than an  aerosol full of gunk? 

It is, while not much fun on the motorway you can settle in behind an HGV. On rural A roads you're stuck behind some idiot in a Qashqai doing 40mph anyway, and most urban roads are speed camera infested 30 with 20zones.

They're only intended to be temporary anyway, so you can nip to the tyre fitters and get a repair / new tyre.

The gunk is no good for sidewall tears, and the tyre fitters aren't likely to be happy with cleaning it out.

Edited by WillM82

8 minutes ago, Mike97 said:

Picked up an 18" space saver and kit from a golf the other day. Should the skoda spare sit in something in the boot? As my boot floor sinks in now because of the skinny wheel.

No, the spare doesn't sit in anything, but there is a polystyrene insert to hold the tools etc., that sits inside the wheel. (Wheel 'face down' obviously?!) This sits proud of the wheel and supports the boot floor.

Yeah got the bit with all the tools in it must be bigger for the skoda as the golf one just fits in the wheel and is the same thickness as the wheel. Will look out for a bit of packing polystyrene to lay over the top.