1.2 TSI Engine whistle?

hr21

Hi All,

After a drive this evening I parked up and could hear a loud whistling? type noise coming from the car. Popped the bonnet and it seemed to be coming from the rear of the engine, behind the turbo. It subsided dramatically after about 30 seconds or so.

Just wanting to check if it is a sign of anything - if it is just 'one of those noises' I'm really not bothered about getting it fixed etc. as it cannot be heard in the cabin. However, if it is something mechanical etc. I'll get it looked into.

Thanks.

Which engine? Age of car?

The 1.2tsi comes in two very different types

Earlier EA111 Cam chain, turbo/ exhaust at the front of the car, oil filter at front high above the alternator - Can have water pump issues 

Later EA211 Cam belt, turbo/exhaust at the bulkhead side of the engine 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar issue for quite some time (chain model engine). I read a lot of stuff online and found ti related to a possible failure in the water pump, but I don't think it's the case in my situation.

At my last service, which was half a year ago, I told them them about this, wanting to see what is their response. They said that nothing is wrong and that they just cleaned all the belts, since they felt it was due to dust on the belts. After that it didn't make the noise, but with time it started to make the noise again, so I'm not sure if belt cleaning was the reason why it stopped.

It can happen in various situations, cold engine, hot engine. Eg, drove for about an hour, oil temperature was like 83°C, parking into my garage, let the car idle and I can hear it whine, give it a bit gas, whine stops, let go of the accelerator, whine returns.

For me, the whine is only audible when the car is in idle. Sometimes I'll be at a traffic light and I can hear it, then I start driving and it goes away. I've had it for over a year. Sometimes there are days when there is no noise, but then sometimes it's all the time I'm in idle.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I'm bumping this thread as I am finding the noise cropping up again.

- It seems to whine a bit when idle and the engine seems to rumble a bit, it's really difficult to explain, the rumble is like a bubbly rumbling and it is very intermittent and happens far less when not idle or car is hot. No performance issues at all, now at 70k and just flew through its MOT without issue.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this?

So how old is the car now, just the 3 years old,

and was there anything done between Nov 2016 & now at the dealers, did you ask about the noises anytime after the OP?

I wonder if you might need a new water pump soon.

When were the spark plugs changed and are they due a replacement again?

Is there a fresh air filter fitted?

I hope by now you have stopped using 5w 30 FS Long Life Oil and gone to VW502 so 5w 40 FS & Fixed Service Intervals.

Edited by Offski

• 3 weeks later...

NHi, 

It is now four years old

Oil service every 10k and I am now changing it every 6k.

Jusg had oil service and is on 5w40 now. 

All filters changed as well except fuel which is a lifetime one, but I had it changed last year. 

Any more info on the water pump? 

Thanks

• 2 months later...