Please tell me I've done the right thing

Suppose the biggest worry was

diesel                       v                    petrol

DPF problems          v                  carbon build up problems 

Never could come to a conclusion, but deal done now.

Seems this is a dilemma that can't be avoided with almost any new car.

Suppose the biggest worry was

diesel                       v                    petrol

DPF problems          v                  carbon build up problems 

Never could come to a conclusion, but deal done now.

Seems this is a dilemma that can't be avoided with almost any new car.

Have to say that the p1$$p00r economy figures of VRS were a major factor in me moving to petrol.........that and the weekly regens.

I felt like it was waiting for a "red light on the dashboard" timebomb to go off.

........that and the weekly regens.

I felt like it was waiting for a "red light on the dashboard" timebomb to go off.

Yes the requirement to do the 'right' type of driving on the 'right' type of roads on the 'right' type of journey was a real minus for the diesel.

Sort of think a car should be able do short journeys, long journeys, urban, back roads, motorways, fast, slow, constant speed, stop-start, mixed - what ever journey you want to do, without worrying about whether it suits the car. Then again there are folk who say their DPF does its thing without them even being aware of it.

Current car is a good old 1.9PD - no DPF - pain free diesel. Folk will say a bit agricultural but I am a big fan of the MF135

• Like 2

Yes the requirement to do the 'right' type of driving on the 'right' type of roads on the 'right' type of journey was a real minus for the diesel.

This.

I want to get in my car, drive it wherever, whenever without worrying about repercussions because I wasn't driving in "the right way".

Edited by SkodaVRS1963
  • Like 2

There is no other Octavia apart from the vRS.

The rest (non-vrs trim) look like old man's cars, unfortunately. No soul to them at all.

I wouldnt say that the slightly different bumpers really makes that much of a difference....

• Like 1

Look-a-like vRS with diesel engine?

And you think the sound of a Massey Ferguson has soul :D 

(Sorry, dont take it personally)

The 1.4 TSI is a great engine, the old style rear suspension is not IMO.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Not tested the new octy in that engine spec. I did drive from inverness to the west coast of scotland and back in a superb. Both as the 150ps diesel and the 1.4 petrol. Beyond any doubt I preferred the tsi. I see no reason it would be any different in the octavia.

:D just read the opening date... I guess you've picked it up by now... have you?

:D just read the opening date... I guess you've picked it up by now... have you?

Sort of

There was a bit of a diversion via a 2.0 TDI

But yes have a 1.4 SE Sport now.

The Diesel really was non-stop active regens. Confirmed by Skoda dealer as being normal.

Not all good news on the 1.4 TSI though.

Lack of lowdown torque makes it feel seriously gutless compared with 1.9 PD or 2.0 CR. Yes I know the power is there if you keep the revs up but it lacks that ability to go reasonably rapidly without even trying.

There is no other Octavia apart from the vRS.

The rest (non-vrs trim) look like old man's cars, unfortunately. No soul to them at all.

They are skodas. Basic budget transport what are you expecting.

You want 'soul'? Buy a car that is not generic and doesn't have a low powered turbo 4cyl petrol engine. :-P

One word:

No.

Eh, well it must have been highly exagerated, because everything i said was correct.

THE DPF IS NOT A TICKING TIMEBOMB.

You can do whatever and whenever you like. Ignoring the fact some people are concerned about cost effectiveness considering mileage (I obviously wasnt, and purchased a disel simply because I wanted a diesel), there are very few people where the DPF would cause any problems at all.

Confirmed by Skoda dealer as being normal.

PMSL.

Some dealers would have you believe a car falling to pieces on the first morning is normal.

Its confirmed by me, a driver and owner of a diesel Octy 3, as not being normal.

IF it really was constant regens, then it is either one thats just spent its life going up and down the local road (was it a dealer test car), or it had a fault. Taking it for one good blast down the motorway would have likely cleared everything once and for all, and stopped these constant regens.

Or the more likely option, is the car had a fault. A dodgy sensor somewhere in the DPF?

Think there might be something wrong with your Caps Lock button though.

Thanks for the heads up, I shall check it out.

a A a A a A

Nope, all seems to be working thanks.

Perhaps if people didnt talk such utter gobbledigook, it wouldnt need to be tested. Note that is aimed at everybody that speaks rubbish, and no particualr individual has been mentioned.

• Like 1

Eh, well it must have been highly exagerated, because everything i said was correct.

THE DPF IS NOT A TICKING TIMEBOMB.

You can do whatever and whenever you like. Ignoring the fact some people are concerned about cost effectiveness considering mileage (I obviously wasnt, and purchased a disel simply because I wanted a diesel), there are very few people where the DPF would cause any problems at all.

Yes and no.

How old is your car?

A DPF will take abuse for a few years whilst it is nice and new.

The issues creep in as the age increases.

Year after year of low mileage, not achieving operating temperatures and short journey's will shorten the life of a DPF.

Its unlikely you'll notice any issues in the first 3 years, so if you always buy new and change your car frequently then it's unlikely you'll have any issues.

This doesn't mean the DPF is happy though. After 3 or 4 years is when you are likely to see issues.

I bought a 4 year old MkII vRS that had done 33,000 miles, very low annual mileage. 2 years later with an annual mileage of 30,000 miles the DPF began giving trouble.

So yes, DPF's are much better then they used to be, but then in some circumstances they have the ability to still be a ticking time bomb.

• Like 1