Help me choose

mattlittle

I'm looking to get my first Yeti but I'm torn between 2.

I can get decent deals on the 1.4 TSI L&K and the 1.2 SEL Drive.

I think that I'd prefer the black leather in the SEL Drive (rather than the brown in the L&K) but I am worried that the 1.2 won't have enough grunt for eady overtaking, etc.

Thoughts from you guys?

(I appreciate that this is a subjective question)

You really need to find a dealer with both the 1.2 and 1.4 to decide, difficult but maybe look for used ones to try. It really depends on how you drive and if the car will generally be fully loaded or not. I have the 1.2 DSG and find it more than adequate, I am not a boy racer type but like to make good progress in todays traffic. Cruises perfectly at motorway speeds and is quiet and economical for day to day urban driving. Usually there are only two people on board but on those occasions when I have had 4 up the Yeti has not felt underpowered. Obviously the 1.4 has more power so will provide better acceleration and performance so you do need to try them. I am looking to change mine and it must say something about the 1.2 that I will change for the same rather than going for the 1.4.  Good Luck

We have a 1.2 manual and with 4 of us + dog + luggage it was happy cruising on the motorway at 70 mph  :notme:  and also didnt notice it being under powered on local roads. It can bog down a bit if you try and pull away from low revs, you just need to make sure that you are in the right gear.

Hope this helps  :happy:

We have the 1.4tsi L&K and we both agree it is the best car we have ever owned or driven. But that brown leather really is 'marmite', we hate it. It may make us change model rather sooner than later. The best passenger comment has been 'Well I don't think it is so bad'. It is of course a matter of personal taste, if you can live with the brown I think you would be very happy. 

Love the L&K, brown leather and the 1.4. Had the 1.2 in our previous Yeti and whilst it was perfectly OK, I'd be surprised if anyone would ever go back to one after having the 1.4 - I wouldn't anyway.

Thanks guys.

My last car was a Golf GTD, so I'll test the 1.2 but I think that it might seem a little short on power.

I'll try to see an L&K to get a proper look at the leather. I had a suspicion that it might be a 'marmite' thing. Why they don't offer black as an option is beyond me.

Thanks guys.

My last car was a Golf GTD, so I'll test the 1.2 but I think that it might seem a little short on power.

I'll try to see an L&K to get a proper look at the leather. I had a suspicion that it might be a 'marmite' thing. Why they don't offer black as an option is beyond me.

You might be surprised, certainly will be a lot quieter and smoother. Main thing is to go into this with an open mind.

I'm happy with the 1.2 with DSG, not slow at all, ideally would have preferred the 1.4, but unlike other European countries Skoda UK wont let you have a 1.4 unless it is an L&K.  I don't really understand their logic, as they fit it with auto wipers, auto lights, auto other things, then say you can't have auto gearbox.  Why a manual gearbox and auto everything else ? 

If you regularly travel fully loaded go for the bigger engine.

Have seen both interiors at a dealer and don't mind either, L&K looks different in daylight to the brochure.  It is a marmite personal preference (I slightly preferred the L&K brown, to the black, but then I saw the Gobi sand leather on a used yeti and thought that was even better)

Edited by SurreyJohn

We used to have a 1.2 TSI DSG, then changed it for a 170 TDI DSG.

For 99% of the time, the 1.2 TSI had more than enough power.  I notice that most of the earlier comments are from DSG owners: something to bear in mind is that the DSG box flatters the 1.2 TSI engine immensely because it allows the turbo to stay on boost, whereas in a manual, it will come off boost each gear change.

However, we were tempted to switch to the more powerful engine (and 4WD) because our daily journeys involve pulling out of side roads onto fast A roads with relatively poor visibility, so sometimes heavy acceleration is required for safety.

As otherwise noted, if you are a gentle and law abiding driver, the 1.2 will be more than adequate, and it's surprisingly capable at overtaking (but on a manual, you'll need to exercise some skill in choosing the right gear).  However, if you like to get ahead of other cars away from the lights, or you need brisk pulling power over 60 mph, I suspect you'd regret the 1.2.

On the flip side, if you do a lot of town driving, the real world economy of the 1.2 will be significantly better because of not hauling around all the 4WD.

• Like 2

the DSG box flatters the 1.2 TSI engine immensely because it allows the turbo to stay on boost, whereas in a manual, it will come off boost each gear change.

That is an interesting observation as the manual says that the DSG is 0.5s slower 0-62.

Looks like there are a lot of engines that I'll need to get a test drive in 1.2 manual, 1.2 DSG and 1.4!

It'll be interesting to see whether my dealer can get hold of all of those!

DSG box is 7 speed rather than the 6 ratios of the manual box so drives closer to optimum,beautiful smooth drive. DSG might be slower to 60 on paper but in real life unless you are Lewis Hamilton I think you will find the DSG version quicker.

That is an interesting observation as the manual says that the DSG is 0.5s slower 0-62.

As far as I understand, when measuring 0-60 in a manual, they don't use the clutch between gear changes to minimise the time.

I am a Marmite man. I like Marmite.

That said, before I put my pen to the order form and knowing it was to be the L&K spec, I went to three different dealerships

in order to see the L&K brown leather against as many body colours as possible. Real vehicles, not the showroom colour spheres.

Some body colours were passable but most were an immediate fail IMO.

Skoda must have bought a job lot of old brunette Herefords rather than some nice blonde Charolais which would have been much more popular.

Personally, I would never have bought a grey metallic L&K with brown leather, regardless of the 'deal' I was offered.

But I accept that my magnetic brown is a long way from being universally liked. (it doesn't half polish up beautifully though)

If you go for the brown leather, do try to take time out to see the finished article first.

Good luck.

I'm sure I'd prefer black leather but have taken a chance on the brown leather of the L&K myself but think it will look strange with some body colours.  I was rather tempted by the Magnetic Brown until realising it is very dark, almost black brown - suspect would look great when clean but be a nightmare to keep that way.  Hoping Jungle Green hide the dirt better...

Yes, I think Jungle Green is one of the colours that goes OK with the brown interior as would the Petrol Blue of my car.

What puts me off the L&K though is the panoramic roof - I prefer darker interiors.

I find black shows every mark just like a glossy black paint exterior.

Scuff marks around the foot level everywhere.

Not sure if black soles mark like the old rubber ones, which certainly did; but they were able to be removed anyway.

I like the red Ferrari with black and camel interiors; pity about the price tag.

I'm sure I'd prefer black leather but have taken a chance on the brown leather of the L&K myself but think it will look strange with some body colours.  I was rather tempted by the Magnetic Brown until realising it is very dark, almost black brown - suspect would look great when clean but be a nightmare to keep that way.  Hoping Jungle Green hide the dirt better...

Jungle Green and the brown leather seats, with the brown internal door inserts, is a great combination. When we went to buy SWMBO did not want Jungle Green and was not happy about the brown internals. However, as we looked at cars on the lot she was taken with one car and one car only and to her complete surprise is was Jungle Green/Brown leather!

Jungle Green and the brown leather seats, with the brown internal door inserts, is a great combination. When we went to buy SWMBO did not want Jungle Green and was not happy about the brown internals. However, as we looked at cars on the lot she was taken with one car and one car only and to her complete surprise is was Jungle Green/Brown leather!

It is a nice combo, it was a toss-up between Jungle Green and Moon White when we chose our L&K Yeti, everything was set for jungle green. Then we went to the dealers pound to see a Yeti with a sunroof, and spotted a moon white, one .... management changed her mind ..... must admit the brown leather with moon white also works very well.

From what the sales person at Winchester Skoda tells me, used L&Ks are near unsaleable due to the brown leather and indeed they have been resorting to retrimming interiors in order to shift them.

If you have any interest in resale value, buy a different model with black leather or alcantara.

From what the sales person at Winchester Skoda tells me, used L&Ks are near unsaleable due to the brown leather and indeed they have been resorting to retrimming interiors in order to shift them.

If you have any interest in resale value, buy a different model with black leather or alcantara.

Said the salesman that has lots of non L&K to shift? ......  our dealer stated almost the opposite, saying they can shift any L&K they get in .... but TBH who believes the sales people, they just tell you what you want to hear or they want to promote!

Edited by TruckbusUK
  • Like 2

I would have thought that retrimming interiors would have been prohibitively expensive, profit margin gone in a blink!

I'm inclined to agree with TruckBusUK.