12v battery problem

That's mad.

I'm still having trouble with mine, I'm not convinced it's charging properly. Drove down to my parents on Tuesday and back on Wednesday morning. Round trip of about ~400 miles, mostly motorway. That charged the battery up enough to last through a journey to work and back, but the next day it stopped happily at the lights about 1/2 mile down the road (while still cold, so the weather hasn't got anything to do with it) and then a couple of times again, before giving up completely. And hasn't worked since. 

Hi VC, the stop-start will be disabled until the engine has some heat in it - although mine WILL kick in just before the oil temperature starts reading on the Maxidot display (50 deg.C) If the cabin heating has not reached anti-misting temperature, stop-start will be inhibited (DOT message - "windscreen could become fogged")  There are quite a few things that will inhibit the stop-start - but it sounds as if you MAY have the same problem as my MY16 Octavia had - faulty alternator, faulty charge module or faulty battery. If the problem persists, keep complaining to your dealer / Skoda UK.   

Yeah- the outside temperature wasn't that cold, but this was first thing in the morning and the car was certainly 'cold'- the oil temperature was showing '---' and the coolant temperature hadn't moved yet. This seems to be normal for my car- whenever the stop/start system is 'happy' it stops at those lights. But once it's 'unhappy' and (I think!) low on charge, it won't stop/start at all, even when the oil is warm (well over 50!) and the coolant is showing 90. 

I don't have climate control (just standard simple A/C) so I don't think it can be prevented because of that. Cars with climate control have a sensor behind the rear view mirror to detect the fogging, but the standard A/C system doesn't have that sensor. With mine, I think it's monitoring the standard engine stuff (oil, coolant etc), battery voltage, and battery load (lights, heated screen, heated seats). It won't stop when the A/C is on and the fan is on 3 or 4, and the temperature is on full cold. 

During the first winter that my wife had her Polo 1.2TSI, I was shocked how quickly the Stop/Start would operate, admitedly I tended to switch off the Auto AC panel to speed up the engine warm-up, but it would operate as you have found even when the temperature gauge was still at or near its lower end stop. I've stopped it doing that now by switch Auto Stop/Start off for the first few miles!

Edited by rum4mo

• 2 weeks later...

My fab 3 sel does about 3000 a year and now getting low battery warnings, been to dealers and they say everything a1.

will only charge fully with batt  charger, so are modern high tech cars not fit for low mileage users?

Most are, sadly SKODA were not Simply Clever just Simply Incompetent.  Maybe by the Face Lift models they will sort it out.

Get in touch and tell SKODA UK CUSTOMER SERVICES the vehicle is really Not Fit For Purpose.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sherwood said:

My fab 3 sel does about 3000 a year and now getting low battery warnings, been to dealers and they say everything a1.

will only charge fully with batt  charger, so are modern high tech cars not fit for low mileage users?

If in fact your dealer is telling you the full truth and there IS nothing faulty in the charging circuit, it does start to sound as if Skoda may have got the charging rate wrong for these micro-hybrid vehicles - but I do find it very interesting that they disconnected the battery condition meter sometime in the early production run of MY16 vehicles. I rather think I smell a rat. Ridiculous to suggest that low to moderate users will require to give their battery regular recharges - especially when they didn't have to do this on previous vehicles with similar usage.   

12 minutes ago, Offski said:

Most are, sadly SKODA were not Simply Clever just Simply Incompetent.  Maybe by the Face Lift models they will sort it out.

Get in touch and tell SKODA UK CUSTOMER SERVICES the vehicle is really Not Fit For Purpose.

I fully agree with you Offski, I suspect that this particular problem is going to require an update to the battery charging regime.

Two days after an 80 mile trip and an 8 mile local run to the dealer for its first service (2641 miles on the clock)up pops 12volt battery low,infotainment turned off  message.Dealers service manager says battery tested and shows it's a good battery,says cars low mileage is the cause and it's the latest technology in the car that's drains the battery quickly.Skoda assist says the same thing????

Good answer from Skoda's customer support army - maybe now they should sort it out! 

Still glad that wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI SEL is keeping its battery happy, I forgot to switch off the STOP/START yesterday and had switched off the cabin fan as I tend to do in cold weather to speed up the engine warming up, and when I came to lights after 3/4 mile from a cold start, the engine stopped, ie AUTO STOPPED - this was after this car had been unused for 3 days.

Quite possibly, but I'm having trouble and mine's a manual.

Incidentally, mine's developed an intermittant clunk from the front suspension (reminds me of when the bushings went on my old '02 Polo, but obviously a 2016 car with 7700 miles on the clock shouldn't be needing new bushings!). Took it into RRG Bolton and went for a drive with the tech, typically it didn't do it, but spoke to him about the stop/start. He said that it sounded like normal behaviour to him, but to keep an eye on it. He also put the car on the ramp and had a look, couldn't find anything that could be causing the clunks so sent me on my way... not sure if that's reassuring or not!

I've been watching this thread with interest, as our Fabia's S/S has not been functioning over the last 3-4 months, was beginning to suspect battery, even all the signs where that its was nicely charged - starts instantly. Fabia does low mileage 150 miles per month, used 3 - 4 times a week, so in winter battery drain, cold and short charging time.

Did a 110 mile round trip journey today, mostly motorway, headlights and fan on all the time (cold and poor weather). On the return trip the S/S starting functioning in the queuing M1 traffic. So I've concluded for our Fabia, at least, the battery has to be fully charged - the electrical drain doesn't appear to be an issue as the S/S cut-in without me switching anything off. I did notice that the brake pedal had to be firmly pressed otherwise the engine keep running.

• 1 month later...

Quick follow up...

The problem is even worse now. For various reasons we've not used the car for a while and now the unlock/lock of KESSY won't work at all. Previously leaving the car a few days resulted in it not working until the car was unlocked with the fob. Then it would work fine for a while until the car was left.  Now it won't work from one day to the next.

I'll be raising it with the dealer at the first service in a few weeks.

This combined with my 37k GBP Superb sounding like an old banger over speed bumps means that I can't see us picking Skoda for our next cars.

• 8 months later...

Almost a year to the day since my opening post and the Fabia is still playing up and the dealer can still find nothing wrong. By that I mean that their magic computer can't see any problems so there mustn't be any.

I bought a Ctek smart charger and had the car on charge overnight the weekend before last until the charger showed a full battery. Next day no errors but KESSY still not working on the doors (always works on the boot). Car not driven since. Fast forward to this morning where I've moved the car off the drive and still no KESSY and the 12v battery warning.

We've also both had the car beep like mad when getting out and I suspect that the sensor that detects the DSG is in park is on the blink too.

Skoda? Simply sh*te.

• 2 months later...

Hi, my wife has a 65 reg 1.2tsi dsg fabia sel and we have had both batteries in the keys go at the same time and also have the same warnings of low 12v battery and turn off the info system ect. Before this happend the stop start did not work most times but I think this is normal if the battery is not well charged. It does seem to me that there is something draining the battery more than it should! The problem is that Fabias are probably commonly bought as second cars and may not get as much use as a single car ownership family.