How to blacken and protect textured plastic

neiln

How do you guys blacken and protect the heavily shaped and textured bits of external plastic?  Stuff like the hexagon patterned bits of grill on the Octy?  I'm too rushed to spend ages with a small brush painting a gel on, so I've just been spraying with an aerosol of tyre dressing.  Having run out I'm pondering on other methods before I buy another can.  If a can of aerosol tyre black is best, then which one?  Just googled and found a. Auto express test which ranked car plan tyre silk as #1, but since it had halfords own brand and simoniz back to black #2 and #3, and I've used both and thought them poor, moderate at best, I'm dubious the test is accurate!

Excellent!  Dressed it is then! Many thanks gents.  Hmmm. 500ml for £11.95, or a lifetime 5litre for £42.95?  Do you use much? Or is it one of those things like wax that lasts AGES?  I always like a bargain though....

Excellent!  Dressed it is then! Many thanks gents.  Hmmm. 500ml for £11.95, or a lifetime 5litre for £42.95?  Do you use much? Or is it one of those things like wax that lasts AGES?  I always like a bargain though....

Exterior trim: Apply 2-3 spritz of Dressle to a microfiber work towel, and work in to the surface, then leave to cure. If patching occurs add a subsequent second coat.

1: Apply 1-2 spritz to a microfiber cloth and spread to form an even film on the surface.

2: Alternatively for intricate grills, engine bays, or wheel wells apply by liberally spraying directly on to the surface, leave for 1-5min before wiping away excess with a clean microfiber towel.

3: For added sheen, apply multiple coats to achieve desired finish.

Edit:

Edited by BATVANVRS
  • Like 1

Excellent! Dressed it is then! Many thanks gents. Hmmm. 500ml for £11.95, or a lifetime 5litre for £42.95? Do you use much? Or is it one of those things like wax that lasts AGES? I always like a bargain though....

Personally, I'd go for the smaller volume as it's not something you should need to use very often, albeit you could if you wished!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally got a chance to try the dressle out, it seems good but it was dark as I finished so I haven't inspected the finish yet.  I managed a wash of the (filthy) octy yesterday and finished with dressle on the plastics and AG aquawax on the paint.  I would have tried out another recent purchase or two...A nilfisk compact pressure washer and some auto finesse citrus power.... But a frozen outside tap had other ideas, so just a 2bm wash.  As it was dark as I finished I didn't manage photos.  Maybe I'll get some later.

Dressle was easy to use and looked to give a nice black shiny finish though, thanks again for the tip.

• Like 2

ok the wide angle....not a bad shine for a quick wash in freezing winter I think

32119712300_5d4ac515dc_h.jpg

and some close ups of the dressle finished plastic parts

31686957023_a99a62586b_h.jpg

31686957743_cabacba0ac_h.jpg

32376759381_c0a887a5c5_h.jpg

31686966233_b099b625aa_c.jpg

No that's not a filthy mrk down the lower bumper, its my shadow, honest.

32498316555_7f2ba3ae8e_h.jpg

Finish isn't perfect but its impressive considering it was the last thing done and i was working in the dark/street lighting by that time, so all i did was walk around the car squirting the dressle at the plastic bits, pick up an old rag and walk around again wiping any excess/drips/runs off.  Next time i clean the car in day light and have a little more time i'm sure i'll get a perfect result.  I'm happy, cheers guys.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, neiln said:

ok the wide angle....not a bad shine for a quick wash in freezing winter I think

32119712300_5d4ac515dc_h.jpg

and some close ups of the dressle finished plastic parts

31686957023_a99a62586b_h.jpg

31686957743_cabacba0ac_h.jpg

32376759381_c0a887a5c5_h.jpg

31686966233_b099b625aa_c.jpg

No that's not a filthy mrk down the lower bumper, its my shadow, honest.

32498316555_7f2ba3ae8e_h.jpg

Finish isn't perfect but its impressive considering it was the last thing done and i was working in the dark/street lighting by that time, so all i did was walk around the car squirting the dressle at the plastic bits, pick up an old rag and walk around again wiping any excess/drips/runs off.  Next time i clean the car in day light and have a little more time i'm sure i'll get a perfect result.  I'm happy, cheers guys.

Great result Neil, looks like a great buy!

cheers, yes I'm very happy.  It is worth noting that the plastic was in an ok condition before, it just needed a bit of a shine not a full restore.  The car is only 2.5 years old, kept garaged and has had protection on its plastics, AG vinyl and rubber care mainly, which is very similar to dressle but doesn't leave much of a shine at all.  I find the dressle much better.  those honey comb bits are a pain to brush/wipe so a simple spray application product is great.

Having found a spare bottle of AG vinyl and rubber care I didn't know i had, that is now relegated to tyre sidewall dressing duty.

• Like 2