To extend or not extend the warranty - that is the question

Actually just found the article and see the VAG group is well represented!

article here: http://good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co.uk/mot-data-the-mot-files/the-mot-files-the-first-mot-bottom-10-cars/

The worst car has a ~63% first MOT pass rate and the government is proposing to scrap the MOT at 3 years and push it back a year :thumbdown:  :x

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38708925

I guess that some of the extended warranty providers out there are OK - but my only personal experience was on my wife's Pug, which started using water and hemorrhaging oil due to what turned out to be a cracked cylinder head, soon after buying it. The dealer, no name, no pack drill, but a well known, national, multi-marque brand (who's name starts with a "W") initially rejected claim and it was only after getting an independent engineers report, and many calls, that we managed to get them to (extremely reluctantly) pay out about 50% of the cost. Rather inclined to bank the premiums for that rainy day.      

It's only really a form of betting and the odds have to be stacked in favour of the house.

There is always the 'peace of mind' angle but to my mind this is somewhat diminished by the suspicion that there will always be a bit of small print to dodge making the payout I would have been hoping for. I have successfully claimed on a warranty (not extended) in the past but it was hard work.

The Skoda warranty you buy online is pretty decent (I even read the policy wording) - think it at least gives you some clout - I probably wouldn't buy one for a n/a aspirated car but I took it out on my MKII Fabia vRS.