TDI owners: what's your average range like?

Octy09

Keen to see what sort of range people are getting from their Fabia Mk3 TDIs. 3 months in and I'm a bit underwhelmed by mine.

Mine is a TDI 105 and I do mostly motorway miles, roughly 500 per week - I'm getting *just* over that on a tank before I need to fill up again. This is about 100-150 miles less than my previous car. I haven't changed my driving style - which is generally very eco-minded anyway.

Keen to hear what others are getting. Cheers!

Edited by Octy09

How does the tank size compare to your previous car?

Look like its 12 gallon 45 litre.

So 500 miles is approximately 41mpg

Identical. My DS3 was 45L too. Supposed range online is upwards of 680 miles. Trip computer is insisting that I'm averaging around 62mpg since I've had the car. Again, the DS3 was pretty accurate with its readouts. Going to do a comparison with the Roadtrip app to see how it stacks up compared to Fabia'a claims. But it's not looking good. Also I know it's cold at the moment but the car definitely gets warmed up on my 100 daily round trip commute. DS3 never dipped this low.

Sorry but to be clear are you putting in 45 litres or sometimes more. ??

That is the tank capacity not the brimming capacity, which has fuel up the pipe.

The range shows from the higher MPG you are getting, the warming up MPG is lower, 

averages come from highs and lows, but then people know that. Well most do.

So you get 50 mpg as near as damn it from you going brim to brim.

Edited by Offski

If you're putting in 45 litres, which I doubt. I normally get about 40 litres in IIRC, filling up when the light comes on. That's a 1.2 TSI but they both have the same 45 litre fuel tanks.

It varies between 43 and 45 litres. Today it was 43.19 litres, with the vehicle telling me I had less than 5 miles left before needing to refuel.

As stated from my original post, I'm keen to hear how many miles other TDI drivers (90 or 105) are getting from a tank.

Edited by Octy09

Hi, Until recently I had a fabia 1.4 se tdi dsg estate which I believe was the 90ps version. It had done 12,000 miles before being returned to motability just 9 months into the lease. I was filling the tank to the first point at which the nozzle would automatically click off. This was usually about £40-£41 pounds, so I guess about just over 35 litres. For this the range would display 535 miles and show 66mpg average. I was happy with that figure as my previous car was a Hyundai i30 1.4 petrol (6 speed manual) I was filling this with £50-£52 and range was 480 and would show at best 51mpg. So the way I seen it was costing me at least £10 less to fill the fabia and I was getting around 50 miles more range. I also drove the fabia a little harder at times. The other plus for me was the fabia felt like it had so much more power compared to the Hyundai's 1.4 petrol 100ps engine. The fabia was my favourite car to date, it was a pleasure to drive and got on really well with the dsg box.

Hope this helps, sorry and can not be more precise with exact litres at top up, can only remember it in actual cost. Also before refilling I would normally have ran both cars down to just under 50 miles on the range.

Edited by POWYSWALES

1.4 SEL estate 105, fuel consumption info. to date...http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/fabia/2015/lcornetto/515809

Change drop down to UK as it defaults to US gallons.

Mostly motorway driving at 65 - 70 mph, was hoping for better mpg really

Hi, what does your maxi dot claim your average mpg is? As i live in rural wales a lot of my journeys are on national speed limit roads, I would drive on these mainly at around 50-60mph so I guess this is why i achieved an average of 66mpg going by the maxi dot display.

Thanks for the responses so far. It seems as though they are some way off claimed figures. I know someone's gonna pipe up and say "who takes any notice of claimed figures?" but the point is that my previous car (and most French diesels I've driven) have managed to match or come extremely close to the claimed figures - within 5mpg certainly.

I'll keep an eye on it...

My Polo 1.4TDi 75ps BMT has a 40 litre tank and I get about 480 miles on an average period of driving. Driving back from Burford to Kent today, I was getting 66mpg at a brisk rate.

What was strange, approaching the M25, the engine suddenly felt strange with a loss of power for about 10 seconds then picked up again. Was doing 2300rpm in 5th. Around 80.....Funnily enough also had a similar loss of power at similar rpm but in 3rd climbing Broadway Hill on the A44 yesterday.

Hopefully it is just a spot of fuel contamination. Was regular BP diesel from my local forecourt.

Edited by threadbear

I always lookat claimed Figures and take about 10mpg and both my petrol Fabuas have met that expectation.

Generally im getting late 30s early 40s with mixed routes and driving, if im more careful i can hit mid 40s.... and on one really challenging commute home managed to get a petrol Fabia to do 55MPG average over a 40mile trip it was hard work

I always lookat claimed Figures and take about 10mpg and both my petrol Fabuas have met that expectation.

Generally im getting late 30s early 40s with mixed routes and driving, if im more careful i can hit mid 40s.... and on one really challenging commute home managed to get a petrol Fabia to do 55MPG average over a 40mile trip it was hard work

I tend to do the same, although I think I was somewhat spoilt by my last car in this sense. I didn't even have to try - whereas with the Fabia it seems as though real effort is required to get near the claimed figures. I'll see what I'm on at the end of the week...

No idea what 'claimed figures' are or where you find them, there are EU testing figures for comparison that are published, 

but then they are not vehicles being driven on roads.

Some cars and drivers can achieve these figures on a road, some cars are unlikely to even be able to reproduce them in a temperature controlled building on a rolling road if they had to.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

Edited by Offski

Well Skoda Claim my Petrol Variant is able to do 60MPG Combined.... i once managed 55 on a commute... so i believe the engine is Capable of the figure claim IF you have the perfect situations... but with my commute being as it is and the traffic on the roads these days to be getting mid to late 40s generally hitting 50s on a good day...lower 40s if im being a little more eager... overall im not to concerned myself...but that said it all depends on the reasons for purchasing a particular car....

My personal opinion... while a the 1.4TDI would defo be the more sensible variant for me... i personally preffer the way the 1.2 petrol in monte i think it suits it better. So MPG really didnt make a massive difference for me.

If your buying a car because you looking for Max MPG and its falling well short of its figure then again i can see why youd be disappointed.

But my experience with both Fabias would suggest the petrols at least have potential to get close if not meet that figure

Many people can actually better them on a road driving outside.

As to how many have temperature controlled building, rolling roads and a 60kg driver and a basic car with no options 

and drive inside only going no place, maybe not many.

When the Yanks & Canadians caught out Hyundai / Kia they had to pay up, and issue fuel cards and the rest.

The EU is not pulling up their biggest Manufacturing Companies.

Edited by Offski