Corroded Alloy Wheels

zebbidy

Hi, I have a Skoda Yeti Outdoor L & K still under warranty.  Noticed marks on two of the wheels spoke to Sales manager at dealership who remarked that they would be refurbished under warranty as they have done this in the past re the laquer failing on the edges of the alloys.

Have now been told from there service dept that SKODA UK will not now refurb these wheels under warranty any more.

Can only upload one photo of a wheel.

post-23027-0-24685400-1481031869_thumb.jpg

Do not go for 'Refurbishment', go for 'Replacement'.   That same 'Service Department' can have someone get the camera working,. get the Pictures to Skoda UK the Warranty Provider, You can as well, then the Area Warranty Manager can arrange to inspect the Wheels & the White Worm Corrosion. 

No need to accept refurbishment.

The Service Department can keep that for getting done on their Sales Departments cars wheels.

Thank you for your replies

The wheels damage is not by kerbing .  Apparently pictures were sent to Skoda Warranty dept who told the service dept that this type of corrosion is not covered now under warranty whether replacement or refurbishment.

Sent email to Skoda Customer services who have said if the Warranty dept at Skoda will not replace the wheels under warranty then there is nothing they can do.

Unable to post other photo of the other wheel. file to large.

Well, the pic you have posted is obviously a case of water getting under the lacquer coat, not least because some of the corroded areas are at least adjacent to the hub area, and none of them are adjacent to or concentric with the tyre.

If Skoda are refusing to refurbish or replace, I'd suggest looking into raising a small claims action against them.

Well, the pic you have posted is obviously a case of water getting under the lacquer coat, not least because some of the corroded areas are at least adjacent to the hub area, and none of them are adjacent to or concentric with the tyre.

If Skoda are refusing to refurbish or replace, I'd suggest looking into raising a small claims action against them.

Unbelievable treatment. If all else fails definitely small claims court. You may need legal advice exactly who to sue. Without looking further, I think it is the dealer, but would check with Trading Standards or Citizens Advice [if they still exist]. If it does go to court I would carry in one of the wheels. They judge(s) love anything to brighten their boring day.

There has been lots of this 'We do not cover under warranty' since the new Brand Director of Skoda UK took over and the new Customer Services.

There has been 5 years of treating customers differently, but as they know, there were and are Manufacturing issues, and it is not 'User Failures'.

There are lots of threads, lots of members had wheels replaced and replaced wheels replaced even, reason being, Manufacturing & Sourceing issues for the VW Group.

You have to fight your case not or assume the position and let Skoda UK off the hook. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/354438-corroded-alloys

Edited by Offski

AutoExpress exposure may embarrass Skoda UK into accepting this.

I'm currently having discussions via my dealer's Brand Manager with Skoda UK refusing warranty on front suspension struts oil misting advisory on its first MOT.

Maybe 'dieselgate' is costing VAG so much that they're tightening up on warranty, in the long run it will hurt their sales. Is there a common denominator here? Also other Skoda models and VAG manufacturers ducking out of warranty for spurious reasons?

BRISKODA mod's, other threads similar to these issues?

I think, looking where the corrosion has ocurred, it's due to the design of the alloys themselves.

The edge where the corrosion starts, appears to be on a right angle, any cleaning, washing of the wheels will have a wearing effect on the edge, thus thinning the lacquer and allowing the ingress of water.

Refurbishing them will not prevent it in the future, if my theory is correct.

Most alloy wheels have neat flowing lines rounded corners, and corrosion on these starts after kerbing, stone chips or poor wheel handling during a service or tyre replacement.

Poor design of wheel is what I think, which can only be resolved by replacement by an alternative design.

So in my opinion, poor design, not fit for purpose, and should be a warranty replacement, in fact with good publicity, could be a total recall of that type of alloy on all their vehicles. Do they really want you to take this further?

You don't see much rust on cars these days, but in the 80's corrosion always started on the edges of the seams, exposed thin edges of paint. I rest my case lol.

Edited by rustic
  • Like 3

Had this sort of look on my old Mondeo alloy wheels around about 4 years old, likewise I didn't kerb my wheels either but at that age they were out of warranty so just left them alone, think the garage that bought it off me after it was written off had them redone along with the rest of the car. Definitely think Skoda should cough up for replacements in this case though, as your car is still under warranty and you would reasonably expect that if you were a careful driver and didn't kerb your wheels that they would stay in good condition for a lot longer than three years. On my current Octavia alloys, there is hardly a mark of any sort and thus far the varnish is still intact, not that I'm too bothered as it will be off to pastures new sometime in January!