Recommend me a front light

Gaz

Back lights are fine (Cateye and a Mars Blackburn 3), but on the way in to work this morning, my four year old Hope Vision II went off without warning.  Up until now, it would flash slowly for a few minutes before giving up, which is what it's supposed to do.

The Hope's a good light, although to be fair I'm not particularly enamoured with a separate battery pack any more as it's a bit of a faff plugging, unplugging and wrapping the velcro around it to tie it to the handlebars.  The battery has always rattled inside the pack over rough ground too (minor irritation).

So what have you got and what do you recommend?

I'd prefer rechargeable to taking batteries out to recharge them.

All in one unit preferred rather than separates.

The Hope's 480 lumen on max, don't really want to go below that.  30 mins run time minimum.

Would quite like something that's more of a fixture rather than held on with rubber loops.  That's just me trying to avoid the light fingered scrotes.

Ideally (but not necessarily) under £100.

All thoughts and advice gratefully received.

Ta

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

Is your Bike Yellow  Gaz ?    :think:  

Nah, Meteor Grey mate  ;)

Sprint Yellow seems to be an NIP magnet  :'(  :'(

Back OT, the Cateye Volt 1200 looks pretty decent?

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

Is it to see or be seen? I have a magicshine MJ908 set, a leyzene super drive xl and a leyzene strip drive pro. The front leyzene is in budget and I'd say is more of a be seen light and the magicshine a seeing. The 908 set is more than £100 but they do a 2000lm set for less than £100. Both my fronts are great, I'm on my second magicshine set after giving my old set to my daughter and I'd recommend them.

• Like 1

Is it to see or be seen?

:yes: very good point .............I wonder how many people would ask 'what do you mean'. :think:

I swear by an LED torch using an 18650 battery. Small, but very powerful, but I suspect the Op wants something more original.

I use it on SOS, mostly to be seen in the daytime.

Is it to see or be seen? I have a magicshine MJ908 set, a leyzene super drive xl and a leyzene strip drive pro. The front leyzene is in budget and I'd say is more of a be seen light and the magicshine a seeing. The 908 set is more than £100 but they do a 2000lm set for less than £100. Both my fronts are great, I'm on my second magicshine set after giving my old set to my daughter and I'd recommend them.

Cheers John - it's more to be seen as most of my cycling is in lit areas.  I've looked already at the ones you've mentioned and they're all on my radar, so as to speak  :thumbup:

I swear by an LED torch using an 18650 battery. Small, but very powerful, but I suspect the Op wants something more original.

Not at all - my son uses a Fenix LD20 for the very purpose and it's a good little light :yes:

Gaz

Not at all - my son uses a Fenix LD20 for the very purpose and it's a good little light :yes:

Gaz

Mine cost about £7 with a battery from my old laptop. And it has a charging port.

post-70322-0-06462600-1481133456_thumb.jpg

The very top one. It is 115mm long, better lighting (on full) than a single car headlight IMO and a good run time with a good battery. It doesn't get particularly hot either, even on full power.

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 1

Cheers John - it's more to be seen as most of my cycling is in lit areas.  I've looked already at the ones you've mentioned and they're all on my radar, so as to speak  :thumbup:

Gaz

They've made a new model now; a Power Drive XL. I've had mine a few years and I got the "loaded" version which comes with a spare battery and helmet mount(I've never used it). The batteries are OK, they last a couple of days of commuting (which in terms of hours is about 4-6 hours on flash) before the light turns red but this is after years of use and I don't store them properly either :no: . They used to last longer. I've only just got the rear Leyzene though and it is really good, its bright, has loads of modes and it plugs straight into a USB port. I suspect the new fronts will be a lot better than mine based on this.

A mate has Exposure lights and they're really good too, so they might be worth considering. 

The magicshine does have a flash mode that kicks out the full (claimed) 8,000 lumens that I occasionally use in traffic if I think someone won't see me. I try and avoid it though as the beam pattern is huge and dazzles so mainly if approaching a junction full of cars or crossing busy roundabouts. The Leyzene is much more refined in terms of pattern and is ideal in built up areas. 

• Like 1

Have a look on Evan cycles mate, the fwe own brand lights are decent enough for around 30-40 quid. Can't go wrong with a Cateye volt either in my opinion for 50 quid, or the garmin varia if you run a Garmin computer and have the cash (140 quid)

I'm a fan of the Niterider & Moon ranges & have been using a variation of their ranges for the last 6-7 years.

If any of the Moon range takes your fancy, I'm a Moon re-seller so will do what I can on price for Freedom members. I've just bought myself the Moon Meteor Storm Pro), what a fantastic bit of kit but it's certainly a light to see with

• Like 2

I've bought a lezyne MacroDrive 600XL and Im happy with its ease at charging and removing it. Happy with all the modes from flashing to brighter modes on unlight roads. If you're looking to be seen more in an urban environment I'd also look at Proviz 360 gilet and a fibre flare for a bit of something different that will make you more visible.

• Like 1

Please do not do what one 'sole I encountered last night was doing, and using a head torch as his sole front light or reflector!

I have an 11 mile cycle path near me called the Cuckoo Trail.  It's great when it's dark as it's mostly unlit and there'll be virtually no one on it.  I use a 500 lumen head torch on that for distance due to a near miss with a cow (the bovine style that produces milk) who was stood in the middle of the cycle path in the dark with no lights on!

Wouldn't use a head torch on the road as it's too easy to look around (like at junctions) and blind people if you're not careful.

Gaz

• Like 1

I have an 11 mile cycle path near me called the Cuckoo Trail.  It's great when it's dark as it's mostly unlit and there'll be virtually no one on it.  I use a 500 lumen head torch on that for distance due to a near miss with a cow (the bovine style that produces milk) who was stood in the middle of the cycle path in the dark with no lights on!

Wouldn't use a head torch on the road as it's too easy to look around (like at junctions) and blind people if you're not careful.

Gaz

That was on road, and he literally vanished aside from the light that kept flicking around until he got close enough to give a reflective return from my headlights. So I didn't actually know what or for certain where he was until I was close.

I've gone for one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151886495410?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

on the recommendation of several people over on the Pedelecs forum.  Worth a punt and cheap as chips.

Will see how I get on with it, and will buy something proper if I don't.

Gaz

I've gone for one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151886495410?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

on the recommendation of several people over on the Pedelecs forum.  Worth a punt and cheap as chips.

Will see how I get on with it, and will buy something proper if I don't.

Gaz

Looks decent, but still held on to the bars using a band. It could twist forward at the most inopportune moment leaving you in a mess.

If road riding then probably not an issue, but for off road I wouldn't be confident.

I have utilised an old magicshine (Owlet) bar clamp and strap the torch to that so it cannot twist, rather than the other way around as in the linked one. The clamp on mine is solid.

Probably similar output to my torch, too. Single led probably max 1000 Lumens, but plenty anyway.

I use the Mars 3.0 as my rear, too. Very good light considering only 2x AAA batteries powering it.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the Niterider & Moon ranges & have been using a variation of their ranges for the last 6-7 years.

If any of the Moon range takes your fancy, I'm a Moon re-seller so will do what I can on price for Freedom members. I've just bought myself the Moon Meteor Storm Pro), what a fantastic bit of kit but it's certainly a light to see with

I'm awaiting delivery one this... Nite Rider Lumina 950 boost. 

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nite-rider-lumina-950-combo-solas-100-combo-set-2016/rp-prod153137

Should arrive tomorrow so i'll update with what i think of it. 

Keen to get back out on the mountain bike but struggle to get any daylight hours because of work.. so im hoping this is the solution. Just to go out on a few off road routes around here and get out again. 

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 2

I'm awaiting delivery one this... Nite Rider Lumina 950 boost. 

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nite-rider-lumina-950-combo-solas-100-combo-set-2016/rp-prod153137

Should arrive tomorrow so i'll update with what i think of it. 

Keen to get back out on the mountain bike but struggle to get any daylight hours because of work.. so im hoping this is the solution. Just to go out on a few off road routes around here and get out again. 

I have the older 650 Nite Rider Lumina, its now around 2-3yrs old, nice and light, good spread of light, still holds charge & runtime hasn't deteriorated, I use mine on my helmet when mountain biking & around 1hr per day for dog walking.

• Like 1

Watch your run time on the Lumina 950. Only 40 minutes on max. Don't want you to end up in the dark.

One problem with the likes is you cannot take spare batteries.

Edited by Tilt

Watch your run time on the Lumina 950. Only 40 minutes on max. Don't want you to end up in the dark.

One problem with the likes is you cannot take spare batteries.

Somewhat longer on the lower settings. I was going off using it on 200-400.

See how it goes. Its got an OLED display to show things like the output and battery remaining anyway so should be okay

Depends on the type of 'off road' you will be riding.

400 on cycle paths and canal paths would be plenty, but 'proper' off road, ie single track in the woods or more technical terrain will probably require upwards of 700.

Lovely bit of kit though. Enjoy, but maybe take a spare light first time just to be safe. ;) ,

Depends on the type of 'off road' you will be riding.

400 on cycle paths and canal paths would be plenty, but 'proper' off road, ie single track in the woods or more technical terrain will probably require upwards of 700.

Lovely bit of kit though. Enjoy, but maybe take a spare light first time just to be safe. ;) ,

Ah dont worry about it. Ive got a Fenix PD32 running off a 18560 battery aswel, ive got a few spare batteries for that too.

Output depends on the beam pattern so much imo. Also the manufacturers claims often arent what it really is, usually less than they say.

800 lumens is rated at 90 mins n you can always turn it down when not needed.

I think itll be fine (:

I've got one of those too - very solidly built, and like you say, lasts ages. Fine for unlit easy trails/paths etc. Got another one for the Mrs' bike last week for £27.

On trickier stuff I use a 3000 lumens C&B Seen light - did a battery test on it recently lasted over 4h15m on maximum brightness, plus it's got a wireless remote/dipswitch to quickly dip when cars or other cyclists are oncoming.