Auto lights

As above, needs light sensor on windscreen near rear view mirror. I believe it can be retrofitted, but it's a fair bit of work.

See here, post #38: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/341794-new-feature-simply-clever/?hl=%20new%20%20feature,%20%20simply%20%20clever

Not sure if that was for auto lights, but it mentions retrofitting the sensor.

In my mk2 Octavia all you had to do was retrofit the switch......dunno about the mk3 though

Without a sensor, how would it detect whether it was dark enough to require the lights to be on or not?

Retroffiting a sensor and a proper light swicth ain't that much of a work on Octavia 3. I did it - for me one of easier retrofits.

You'll need:

- RLFS sensor (I suggest 8U0955559B which also suppoorts rain closing, e.g. this one) which is a one-for-one replacement for the humidity sensor already installed (behind rear-view mirror). You just replace the existing humidity sensor with new rain-light-humidity sensor, no new or additional wiring needed.

- New shiwttch with auto function. I got this one, works like a charm.

You need to check connector on your current light switch. If it has only 8 wires, you will need to run additional wire from switch to BCM. If it has 9 wires, you're good to go.

Last you need VCDS15.7.4. or later) to properly code the BCM and also the sensor.

Come back for more info if U decide to do it, or just Google it, there's plenty of guides out there for Octavia III or Golf 7 (which is basicly the same).

Br.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2016 at 19:01, pist0nbr0ke said:

As above, needs light sensor on windscreen near rear view mirror. I believe it can be retrofitted, but it's a fair bit of work.

See here, post #38: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/341794-new-feature-simply-clever/?hl=%20new%20%20feature,%20%20simply%20%20clever

Not sure if that was for auto lights, but it mentions retrofitting the sensor.

hi, i am stuck..

i tried to access the BCM to run the auto light cable. i ave removed the glovebox. i see the fuse box. but can't seem to find the BCM.

what should i do next? where exactly is the BCM and how does it look like?

what's the best way to route the cable from the light switch on the Right side of the dash to the BCM which i presume is behind the glovebox.. any help appreciated thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 24/01/2017 at 11:36, lab4games said:

hi, i am stuck..

i tried to access the BCM to run the auto light cable. i ave removed the glovebox. i see the fuse box. but can't seem to find the BCM.

what should i do next? where exactly is the BCM and how does it look like?

what's the best way to route the cable from the light switch on the Right side of the dash to the BCM which i presume is behind the glovebox.. any help appreciated thanks.

Did you get any information about this I have the new light switch and sensor but all the guides I have found or watched the cars are left hand drive and the BCM is mounted differently to a right hand drive car so do you know what one of the plugs on the BCM needs to be unplugged to add the new wire? 

• 1 year later...
On 07/12/2016 at 13:44, milanj said:

Retroffiting a sensor and a proper light swicth ain't that much of a work on Octavia 3. I did it - for me one of easier retrofits.

You'll need:

- RLFS sensor (I suggest 8U0955559B which also suppoorts rain closing, e.g. this one) which is a one-for-one replacement for the humidity sensor already installed (behind rear-view mirror). You just replace the existing humidity sensor with new rain-light-humidity sensor, no new or additional wiring needed.

- New shiwttch with auto function. I got this one, works like a charm.

You need to check connector on your current light switch. If it has only 8 wires, you will need to run additional wire from switch to BCM. If it has 9 wires, you're good to go.

Last you need VCDS15.7.4. or later) to properly code the BCM and also the sensor.

Come back for more info if U decide to do it, or just Google it, there's plenty of guides out there for Octavia III or Golf 7 (which is basicly the same).

Br.

Hi sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am looking into adding the auto headlights. I had looked at the kits which are quite expensive or the aftermarket light dial with a light sensor built in but wanted to get a bit more info about doing a proper job.

I have the humidity sensor so as far as i understand I can just swap this out with a new rain / light / humidity sensor. 

But before this I should check the light switch to see if it has 8 or 9 cables. assuming im out of luck and only have 8 has anyone found a good guide that shows how to fit the new cable ie what connector numbers need to be wired up etc.

Then I don't suppose there is anyone in the gatwick area that would know how to do the VCDS coding for such an operation?

I was considering that whilst im fiddling around in the area of the sensor I might swap out the manual review mirror for an auto one. 

Thanks all in advance!

On the same topic, i'm currently looking at something like this. Apparently it is a straight replacement of the switch.

There are several kind of switches like this, with integrated sensor, or with a wired sensor that has to be installed near the windshield. Additionally, there are three types of connectors and two types of backlight (red/white for Golf and green for Škoda)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967668367.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32841126290.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32918809570.html

I have seen some that have Bluetooth so that you can connect with your phone to set up sensitivity, delay and other things. Not sure if anyone has had any experience with them. As it would be a very easy and simple / cheap job to just swap out the switch.

I haven't ordered one yet. No Aliexpress seller could answer the following:

• Are these switches compatible with factory fitted DRLs? They should be, but still...
  • How do they work with auto start-stop? Most of these advertise a feature that shuts the main lights when starting the car, to preserve the health of the battery. With auto start-stop, these events  happen often.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FQY1ZSC/?coliid=I9D1T2L4M0XU2&colid=2ORQ03IT9NKXU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Alas the el3 or el4 that would fit Octavia are out of stock.  Bluetooth so you could change settings like that so that you could do welcome lights etc on unlock. Good point about stop / start but wouldn't that be linked to taking the key out the ignition rather than stop/start?

12 minutes ago, HeavyD said:

Alas the el3 or el4 that would fit Octavia are out of stock.  Bluetooth so you could change settings like that so that you could do welcome lights etc on unlock. Good point about stop / start but wouldn't that be linked to taking the key out the ignition rather than stop/start?

I wouldn't know if the switch can make a difference if it is a cold start or a re-start. I guess it measures the voltage drop caused by the starter motor.

6 minutes ago, damjanev said:

I wouldn't know if the switch can make a difference if it is a cold start or a re-start. I guess it measures the voltage drop caused by the starter motor.

I could be giving this 3rd party switch more credit than is due. But I would have assumed perhaps incorrectly as I haven't bought one, that just like the OEM switch doesn't turn everything off with stop / start. This shouldn't also. Saying that tbh I haven't had my car long enough to notice at night if the stop/start affects the lights like it would when you turn off the ignition.

1 hour ago, HeavyD said:

Saying that tbh I haven't had my car long enough to notice at night if the stop/start affects the lights like it would when you turn off the ignition.

My MK3FL (factory default) does not turn off the main lights on starting, just dims them a bit, sometimes.

Is anyone able to provide a link to or the instruction for the auto light coding. I have looked on VCDS page and couldn't find it. 

I have found all the parts, new switch and sensor and additional and found the instruction on how to do the wiring addition from pin 2 on the light switch plug to BCM pin 16. 

However before I start pulling trim apart it would be great if someone had VCDS pointers so I dont go poking around in the dark lol.

• 4 months later...
On 02/10/2019 at 16:52, HeavyD said:

Is anyone able to provide a link to or the instruction for the auto light coding. I have looked on VCDS page and couldn't find it. 

I have found all the parts, new switch and sensor and additional and found the instruction on how to do the wiring addition from pin 2 on the light switch plug to BCM pin 16. 

However before I start pulling trim apart it would be great if someone had VCDS pointers so I dont go poking around in the dark lol.

Hi!

I'm in the same situation as you are. Could you please share the instructions for the additional wire from pin 2 on the switch to BCM pin 16?

I think you'll just have to activate the sensor from VCDS.

Thanks!