Yeti burning oil. Should pistons and rods be replaced as well as piston rings?

YetiSweden

They told us to drive as little as possible and drop it off with them asap. Dropping it off tomorrow. 

It just seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be related to the work they did, so I guess it's unlikely to be the Lambda sensor.

Well, after changing such major things as pistons and rods, everyone should done longer test drive before handling car to owner. This was not done obviously. Drive only to sevice, hope catalyst and other stuff stay alive.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warning-light/emissions-control-lamp

It can be anything, needs diagnostics asap. These engines are realy not simple to assemble back into working order, try to reserve/prolong with your dealer the right to give him car back in case same/similar issue appears in time of guarantee given for this fix.

Do not know usual price tag for this fix at UK or Sweden, but £5,000 I reckon as "normal" price at official VAG dealer across western Europe. So independent service surely included costs for special tools + VAG repair manual for engine...

Edited by rayx

It can be anything, needs diagnostics asap. These engines are realy not simple to assemble back into working order, try to reserve/prolong with your dealer the right to give him car back in case same/similar issue appears in time of guarantee given for this fix.

That's very good advice. I will do that. 

The crazy thing is that the Skoda garage quoted me £5000, but the seller didn't want to go with them, because he thinks they're too expensive, then it ended up being £5000 anyway, but without the Skoda-specific knowledge.

I hope this doesn't drag on too long. I really enjoyed driving the car this morning. We've just had a load of fresh snow overnight, and it doesn't bother the Yeti one bit :) The engine seems a bit quieter than I remember, and I checked the oil this morning and it's oil colour, rather than mucky-brown.

Well, oil after the change in petrol, even smokey TSI, should not be mucky brown after few miles :( Drop test on clean paper tells you more. Your note about the quote from Skoda garage is very right, not sure but I have not good feeling how it looks now. Ask dealer for copy of invoice with part numbers used to fix.

So, have you been today at the garage, have they diagnosed the car?

Edited by rayx

Well, oil after the change in petrol, even smokey TSI, should not be mucky brown after few miles :( Drop test on clean paper tells you more. Your note about the quote from Skoda garage is very right, not sure but I have not good feeling how it looks now. Ask dealer for copy of invoice with part numbers used to fix.

So, have you been today at the garage, have they diagnosed the car?

I just dropped it off at the (unmanned) drop-off point. I asked for the full paperwork the other day, and they said it'll be in the car when I get it back.

i also have a bad feeling. I was hoping someone could put my anxious mind at ease, but I guess not! *sigh* 

OK, you see next week. You have lot of info now, so let them fully answer and then make final decision. I am sure there are many nice Yetis at Sweden, you do not have to stay with this one if it should turn into something wrong ...

Good luck ;)

OK, you see next week. You have lot of info now, so let them fully answer and then make final decision. I am sure there are many nice Yetis at Sweden, you do not have to stay with this one if it should turn into something wrong ...

Good luck ;)

Thanks! 

Some oil leak!

Didn't you notice a mess wherever you parked and generally under the car as oil tends to creep everywhere?.

Nope, though I didn't have the car for very long before dropping it back off with them. The only place I parked it was in our garage, which already has a floor saturated with crap from the previous owner's car! But I will anyway have a look for an oil puddle when I get home from work.

Very strange, where has the oil leaked? Into cylinders again? Emissions control lamp has nothing to do with oil leak. It is sad they do not give you more details, do not show photos, etc. If you have swedesh speaking friend, ask him to help you to clarify with your dealer all this, so far it does not look very fair to you. Have they provided you with courtesy car for free at least?

Do not forget about the price of the whole fix, I am sure official Skoda service would not need second try with "oil leak issue" taking more then one week to fix ...

That's all the information I have regarding the oil leak/EML light. I spoke to them again this afternoon and they think it's fixed, but they said they'd rather hang on to the car for a few more days for more test driving to make sure the EML doesn't come on again. I said to keep it for another week. We cycle to work, so it's not such a big deal. It's not so cold now :)

The good thing is we will have a warranty on the engine. I don't have the full details yet so I don't know how long, but it will be covered in September, when the car has to have its equivalent of the MOT, which includes an emissions test. So that's good to know.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the car back the other day. The contact from the garage reckoned that after replacing the gasket, there haven't been any issues in his test driving, and it seems ok to me for now... we'll see. Even if there are no issues in the near future, it will be a while before I feel comfortable doing a long drive in it.  

The odd thing is I got them to send me a copy of the invoice and it had come to around £3,000 not the £5,000 that the dealer told me he paid. Not sure why he felt the need to lie about that.

OK, it is good you have warranty on the engine. Not sure too why dealer told you different price, people do often strange things ...

It will need some time to run in all new parts, so it can take a bit of oil, have they mentioned it to you? That oil level sensor mounted on the sump is not that precise to rely on it, it shows yelow oil jug at the moment when the level is much under minimum on the dipstick. I would check it first 1k km and then the same again 2-3 times. Keep oil level between 1/2 and maximum, best at the top of "file pattern" on the dipstick. Also recommend to change oil this time latest at 10k km and then continue as QG2 service, means each 15k km / one year.

So, enjoy now your Yeti without any troubles, she must serve to you and not you to her ;)

Thank you so much, that is really great advice! I made sure the trip milometer was zeroed after the piston change, so will keep an eye on that.

Fingers crossed for no more engine troubles! 

Edited by YetiSweden

• 2 months later...

An overdue update to the Yeti saga. It's been back to the garage once more and needs to go back again. The last time was a loss of coolant and I was worried it had a damaged head gasket and was burning it (instead of oil as it was doing! My husband calls it a flexifuel car), but they reckoned it was just a leak in the water pump so that was £400 for a replacement.

Now after 400km since the engine overhaul it's showing a message that it needs a service... but it isn't due a service. The local Skoda experts (not the people who did the work) suspect it's bad oil quality caused by dirt after the rebuild setting off a quality sensor, which makes sense. So i really hope that's the issue as a simple oil change will do the trick (and was even recommended by Rayx, above).

I really long for the day when I don't have to keep taking it in for work... but maybe that will never happen... it's making a chirping noise on cold days. I really want to trade it in for something that's under warranty, but I don't think we can justify the expense given how little we actually use the car. When we need it we really need it though.

43 minutes ago, YetiSweden said:

it was just a leak in the water pump so that was £400 for a replacement.

A new cambelt and water pump should be cheaper than that!

7 hours ago, Urrell said:

6 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@Urrell in the UK, from an indie, sure. The OP is in Sweden, and using a dealership there.

The 1.8TSI engine is chain driven and the water pump & housing is located on the front of the block, driven via a shaft from the timing chain on a small auxiliary belt. 

14 hours ago, Urrell said:

Sweden prices :(

14 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

YetiSweden, is the Service Indicator set on Variable / Flexible servicing and has it always been?

I actually don't know, but I suspect now that it must be on variable if it's the oil quality that's triggered the service warning

7 hours ago, Ryeman said:

The 'chirp' might just be a belt needing to be tightened.

It doesn't do it while idling, which makes me think not (?) Accelerating and turning sets it off, and it stops after 10 mins or so of driving.