Petrol vRS owners - Real world alternatives ?

If you could fantasise about an alternative to the Octy vRS but without breaking the bank ( similar money) what would you have ?

I'm think personally similar age ( don't like the headache of older car lack of warranty etc ) so my own critera is as close in newness and mileage to the O3 ( not something thats 10 years older like a Porsche or Jaguar XKR ).

I've done this times before to ensure I made the right choice with Octy and not missing a trick.

Still think its got the bang of the buck personally. Maybe not the same special factor though in my case but I guess that in part is down to spec ( mostly missing full leather seats)

I've looked closely at a petrol Audi A4 with more or less that same engine and quattro, obviously the Golf and Seat. Thought about even stretching to an S4 but I think running costs could get interesting. Looked at the Jag XF estate too - but all would need to be second hand to compete and wife is quite sensitive to image - just don't think we are Jag or Merc people!

Interesting ideas.

Personally speaking - Diesel not for me (except my existing old oil burner /long runner lol),

also if anything more interested by non-German brands, not drawn to Audi/BMW personally as I don't really like the image that goes with them.

Jag only offer the XE on that kind of comparison point, and having looked closely at it, I think the Octy is better looking IMO.

• Like 1

Couple of year old 330d.

Similar level of kit, faster, more economical, better built. That would be my choice.

I'd have gone for a 330D in an ideal world, but ended up in a Petrol VRS. I'd have had to dig about 6k deeper to find a 330D  2-3 years old with low mileage and a decent enough spec (Xenons, Auto, Pro Nav, Leather, Heated seats etc.). Whilst the engine is fantastic - probably the only diesel I could live with (loved the N57 3.0D in my E92 LCI) - I don't really rate the F30 3 series interior. Sure it's better than the VRS, but not by as much as I'd expected, given the 10k difference in starting price (new). It also felt cheaper than the E92 LCI interior I've had previously with a BMW. The F10 5 series interior is lovely, but again we're going up the range, pricing, and significantly more running costs.

OP - I'm not really sure what I could have bought for similar money that offers more as an all round package than the VRS. I went through a similar process and kept coming back to the Petrol VRS, even though I do higher than average miles.

Edited by ahenners

Exactly.  Even the hatch has as big of bigger boot then the A6 avant (Audi boot is smaller until seats go down, then it's just larger)

Real world alternatives, instead of 'cars I'd like if space didn't matter' = Mondeo ST.  Not exciting is it.

Cars I'd like.......RS6 avant,  amg class shooting brake maybe.....I don't know really, I can't afford them so I haven't considered them, no idea if I could live with either.

The Octy has been the most suitable car for my needs for my last two cars. I simply didn't fancy anything else on the market that was within my requirements. The Mkii Diesel Estate ticked all my Work and Family requirements a the time. The Petrol vRS Hatch suits all my requirements 6 Years down the line. For looks, space, price, performance, image, it suits my needs, which makes things pretty simple! Anything else inside or outside the VAG Family just doesn't really appeal to me that much. 

Have recently been through the same thought process given the end of my 3 year lease on the VRS is approaching end Q1 2017. Many different cars have been under consideration, all within the 30-50k (euros - I live in Luxembourg) bracket. This budget opens up a huge range of options, but after the VRS it is hard to find anything that ticks so many boxes. I don't have family (yet), so mainly just for me to use for commuting to work (about 15km each way) and then long drives back from Luxembourg to Nottingham for parent visits every 3 months or so, hence the wide range in the list below, which may explain why some choices are not easy to see as direct competition.

I have considered everything below and I've listed my thoughts/musings: 

Mazda MX5, Abarth 124 (Pro - fun cars, convertible, good price, Cons - no real practicality for everyday car, not actually that quick)

Porsche 718 Cayman/Boxster (Pro - strong performance and handling, Cons - would be poverty spec at this price point and I would miss the toys in the VRS),

Ford Mustang (Pro - Looks good, 5L V8 soundtrack - Cons - back seats only for people with no legs, poor boot space given size, subjectively image is a bit "council")

Alfa Romeo Guila (Pro - Great interior and exterior styling, that "Alfa feel", really thought this would be the replacement car but the Cons - No performance petrol variant yet (unless you want the 500bhp cloverleaf which is out of budget), poor boot space, local Alfa dealer being useless (I seem to have the power of invisibility everytime I went in)

VW Golf GTI - Old hat now, and was the reason I bought the VRS in the first place, cant see where the 10k price difference is justified.

VW Tiguan biturbo diesel R-Line - (Pro - a bit different, bi-turbo diesel a strong engine, higher driving position, Cons - its a SUV, its a diesel, its expensive when brought to VRS spec

Mercedes CLA - (Pro - like the looks, a bit different, strong diesel engines, good build quality, Cons - stupid stupid sat nav screen looking like a cheap tablet superglued to the dash, expensive when kitted out to VRS spec)

BMW - nothing really floats my boat in current range, 1/2 series not really big enough, 3/4 series expensive when kitted out and not as practical as Octavia. Build quality on ones I looked at didn't completely impress either

And now the two runner up positions:

Audi S3 saloon - (Pro - Looks good, interior quality, performance, 4x4, Matrix LED headlights, Cons - stupid Sat Nav screen appearing out of top of dashboard (sorry these are a pet hate :) , cost with all options (top end of 50k budget), boot space given its a proper saloon rather than hatchback, felt slightly old hat compared with TT)

Audi TTS - (Pro - Interior is amazing, definitely the best I have sat in in these tests, Virtual cockpit is great and little things like the LED displays within the heater dials look and feel great, performance, solidly built, Cons - Very expensive when kitted out (approx. 53k), back seats essentially useless, boot space only ok when rear seats folded.

And the winner that got my order was:

Skoda Superb L&K 280 (Pro - Everything my VRS has but with a load of new toys too, faster, 4x4, loads of space, good modern looks (sharper than O3, much better than facelift O3), interior build quality seems a step up from O3, Great comfortable cruising ability for long distances, Cons - it's a bit big, interior not perhaps as adventurous as could be, not got the latest VW Group kit like virtual cockpit and Matrix LED lights.

So, I have stayed within the Skoda family, and can't wait until April when my Superb arrives.

Of course, if they had made the Octavia Vrs 4x4, and with the 280 bhp engine, then the chances are I would have replaced it with one of those without hesitation........

• Like 1

As above, i only recently got my 230 vRS but looked at:

Leon Cupra ST (quicker than vrs but interior not as nice, and more £, has an image problem i think)

Focus ST estate (interior not as nice, small boot. shame they don't do a RS estate really)

328 touring (small boot, too expensive, its not a 2.8)

Golf R estate (don't like dsg but i'd love to have had one, too much money though vs. the 230. maybe next time?)

VXR estate (expensive, lousy interior, small boot, image problem)

WRX STI (cheap interior, tiny boot, saloon only, not comfortable family transport)

Megane sport tourer GT (interesting, but i don't think they sell the 220hp version any more here though)

Merc C350e PHEV for tax reasons - way expensive and ugly as f*ck.

What the vRS does is to really nail the triple combo of Price, performance and boot space.

you can get cars faster but they'll have smaller boots and/or cost more. More space? yes but they'll be slower. Cheaper? yes but won't have the performance etc.

• Like 1

I would still look at other VAG options firstly, I understand the vehicles so well now after 11 years of owning them.

Only one option stopped me getting a Golf R Estate or the Seat Leon ST Cupra 290 - sounds crazy but the removable towbar, a non option for either vehicle.  It is brilliant on my Octy petrol and became a deal breaker due to the amount of time I lug bicycles around and use a trailer.

Octy is a proper mans car so you don't get that hairdressiness of the mentioned cars like the Mazda and Abarth though would be happy with something more like that along the lines of Nissan 370z etc.

I just wish it was a tad smaller as I'd be quite happy with something a tad more sports coupe. I'd happily trade mine up and pay a few more quids for something that would be a daily dream.

I guess the Focus ST or Seat Cupra would tick that box a bit moreso than the Octy currently does, but considerably more expensive for same age/miles as my car was in my past research. And I could go down my considered routes of seat refurb to really special it up.

So net of this is yep sanity checks, still here no serious contenders in my bracket unless I really break open the wallet hard :)

When i got the car i was looking at the focus ST estate and leon cupra but having come from the impreza 330s was trying to slowly pry myself away from performance that i never get to use. I always prefer an estate for practicality sake.

Now that i am in the motor trade after a move south i have access to some cracking deals that if it wasn't for the negative equity i would snap their hands off for. 335d xdrive msport for 360 a month (18 month lease with 1 months deposit). or an E class 220d amg line premium for the same money. Probably go the route of the E class as it would make the 800 mile round trip to visit family a lot more relaxing. It is a little bit depressing to think i put a reasonable amount of money up front and am paying more than i would be for a brand new 335d which lists a good £10k above.

Will see what the future holds once i don't have 4 grand of negative equity and if i still have access to good deals.

What i would really love is a 4x4 diesel vrs now that my mileage is higher on a daily basis. I get the purpose of the scout but i prefer the looks of what i already have (inside and outside). 

my key points for a car:

• Practicality 
  • Comfort
  • Heated seats (for the wife)
  • Good traction in the wet
  • Enough poke to make a safe overtake/merge onto motorway.

The current car nails everything but the traction issue :)

Edited by Rahr85