DSG gear box problems with no fault codes

So I have had skoda assist out today as my car has been making some very strange noises recently. It seems to lack power and then kick down aggressively. It shakes and grinds when going up hills and seems to have a field day deciding which gear to choose or not choose. The technician drove the car and could immediately feel the shake and grinding through the pedals too. The peculiar thing is that the car may drive fine for a little while but then after about 15 mins get progressively worse.

The technician plugged it all into his computer but found no faults at all much to his surprise. He said that he had never come across a dsg gearbox do this.. apparently they either break and you don't go anywhere or they don't. I was just wondering if anyone else had come across this and what the remedy is? I'm hoping that this will be sorted under warranty as the car is only 18 months old and has done 18800 miles!!!

I'm no car expert at all. I will let you know once it's been taken in and looked at. Are you suggesting the wrong type of oil in the gearbox or not enough oil? it also makes a strange whirring grinding noise that resonates through the cockpit but this only appears after about 15 mins and under load like going up a hill. Thanks for the suggestion!

I had a main service done last weekend. To be fair it had started to have problems just before the service but the technicians couldn't find the problem at the service. Should the oil be changed in the gear box on a major service?

18 months / 19k miles is too short for DSG to fail - from normal driving - but when there is not enough oil or the oil is old/dirty - people reported similar problems.

Fingers crossed it will just be an oil issue then although I am a little concerned how the oil can have been a problem so early on... it's just my daily commute car and the occasional longer motorway journey with the wife and kids... I'm not taking it through woodland rally stages or anything like that. Thanks for the advice guys.. I hope it's a simple fix as I have been loving the car so far!

I'm not sure it will be oil at that mileage and use pattern.  Not showing fault codes, immediate thought is DMF failure but it is under warranty so report it to dealer for inspection and identification and stick with it even if they say no fault on first inspection.  Intermittent faults can be a bit challenging to convince the dealer sometimes.  Take them out and reproduce it if you have to.

Edit: Although, having re-read the post, a DMF issue shouldn't contribute to hunting gears. I don't know what it is - more likely mechatronic control unit I suppose than the DMF.  But I still don't think the oil change will fix it and I doubt the dealer will suggest that.  

Edited by TheClient

The technician who came out to me was great and he drove my car and left me a job sheet and said if they give you any trouble just call skoda assist again and they should sort it out. He said that an interesting box appeared on his laptop asking him to record ( what ever it was they record) everything once he had said it was a dsg box with intermittent shuddering without any fault codes.

Skoda Assist will help.

Insist that the car is transported to a Dealership with Qualified Technicians and a Courtesy Car left with you until the vehicle is properly repaired and fit for purpose.

Meanwhile contact the Dealership and see what they plan in the mean time, and raise a case with Skoda UK and see if they want a Trained & Qualified technician to deal with things.

The current crowd you are dealing with seem like incompetents that are happy for failures before they are prepared to act and consider Customer Safety.

Edited by Offski

Per #16 I don't think it is sufficient for Skoda Assist to say call back if it "gives you trouble" - it is causing you trouble or you wouldn't have called them out already when it was malfunctioning and wouldn't be posting here asking what it might be, or what to do!  They want it to actually strand you somewhere or fail at a critical moment before action - not the best approach IMO.

Yes, likely the mechatronic is submerged in the same oil but it is a complicated piece of equipment. There is the potential for a lot to go wrong with it beyond a reaction to dirty oil and at 18k miles, light usage, 1 driver, no towing (I am assuming there),  the oil ought not be the problem unless it has become contaminated by some other failure within the transmission.  All my opinion  of course as based on the limited written explanation of the problem and how it has been addressed so far. 

Thanks guys I will be ringing tomorrow and getting it sorted hopefully. The technician who came out seemed sure that skoda U.K. Will sort if the dealer is dragging their heels.. no towing... I don't even have a towhook. I wish I could give more accurate details but I would sound like a lunatic with all its odd quirks as it doesn't do the same thing every time but does get progressively worse the longer into a journey i.e. By the time I end my 25 min commute through the Peak District it's usually making all sorts of resonating whining noises and then grumbling at low speeds going up hill. There are never any noises going down hill. Also i noticed that it was slipping backwards at traffic lights waiting on a hill when normally as you move your foot to the accelerator it would stay still and not roll backwards... but again it is intermittent...aargh! I just hope it misbehaves quickly and shows the technicians what I'm talking about so I don't look like the resident Christmas nutter!!

If it is not being driven to be left at the Dealership then they need to get it on a transporter / Dolly even.

Leave it in their very capable hands until they get it sorted.

A nice courtesy car under your Warranty / Skoda Assist is order of the day.

Like for like, not some crappy Fabia or Citigo.   One of those Demonstrators the Sales Staff are driving.

Skoda Assist has been out, do not wait for another episode, 18 months, 18,800 miles get it in now.

They sell thousands of these engine / DSG vehicles, they know the story.