Scout Gearbox Oil

2008 Scout 2.0l TDI, bought when 10 months old (saved lots !)

The gearbox has never been all that good, rather agricultural !! seems solid but clunky. Have driven many cars but this is the worst.

Has a habit, from time to time, of baulking (just when you don't need it !) Sometimes you can't find the gear you want.

Only done 73k would changing the oil help ? Does oil level get checked in service ? Hasn't got any leaks.

It's definately worth changing at your mileage. Skoda says the gear oil doesn't need changed due to the box being a sealed unit therefore not being exposed to the elements that engine oil is. But that's another debate. I personally think it should be changed every 5 years or so. I've just dropped the box oil out of my now ex Seat Leon and that oil looked like new at only 55k miles. But it did improve the change made it a lot smoother. As for the oil itself, almost everyone will tell you to use the genuine vag gear oil. However, i have used Fuchs a few years ago and the box with that in was lovely. And that car is still alive and kicking (Mk1 Octavia vrs )

Some mkII octavia have angled gearboxes so they are not straightforward to fill. You have to measure what comes out and then replace the same amount. If you fill until it comes back out the fill hole you will have overfilled it.

My BMM engined mkII 4x4 had such a gearbox.

you will need to check which box first, the tilted one needs the shift mechanism bearing dropping to drain properly,  my 09 FL2  4x4 (petrol) didn't need it,  the oil was changed @15-16K  and whilst very little swarf came out it looked like dirty water and smelled burnt (yes @ only 16K :thumbdown: )   I too have lost patience with VW oil codes and will now only use Fuchs,   good stuff and they are very helpful if you need advise,  I guess it's time too for the haldex "again?"  so it may be useful to do the lot--double check but here's a starter,   front and rear diff's   .9-.925ltr   titan sintopoid FE 75w-85    and g/box 2.3ltrs titan sintofluid fe75w  api=GL4     Haldex oil/fluid your stuck with VAG       my g/box type was W04---02Q301. 107    hope this helps

• Like 1

Fuchs is very good oil. Out of all the gearbox oil changes I've done, my old Mk1 Octavia changed the best with that oil. I'm surprised more people on here don't use it. But i will admit it is a lot easier just ordering from Skoda or TPS as you know your getting exactly what the car needs. The confusion is synthetic semi i suppose.

Is my lumpy gearbox common ? it rather spoils what is a nice car. Have a couple of other issues, but will need an expert to have a listen !

Will have a ring around, dealers & independants (got a couple of good ones in the area) to get some costs. My days of changing oils & a lot of other things are past ! though I did manage to swap the battery (Varta).

From what has been said, seems it would be a good idea to stick to someone that knows the car rather than try & save a couple of quid.

Thanks for your help.

Is my lumpy gearbox common ? it rather spoils what is a nice car. Have a couple of other issues, but will need an expert to have a listen !

Will have a ring around, dealers & independants (got a couple of good ones in the area) to get some costs. My days of changing oils & a lot of other things are past ! though I did manage to swap the battery (Varta).

From what has been said, seems it would be a good idea to stick to someone that knows the car rather than try & save a couple of quid.

Thanks for your help.

and put the right stuff in the wrong hole especially on the Haldex :sweat: