Superb III retrofitting headunit

Hi guys!

Has anyone heard of / done the retrofitting of the headunit.

The cars been out for 1 year+ and I still havent heard of the way to retrofit a better headunit.

Ive seen navigation add-ons for the Bolero headunit, but the are way more expensive than they should be.

Cheers.

Indrek.

The first MiB units appeared in the Audi range. Some customers of new Audi cars would order their car with the cheapest media system as the cost of buying the optional-extra best systems was considered "extortionate".

As had long been the case, it was cheaper to buy the best system from eBay or other discounters and retrofit it after buying the car.

With MiB came Component Protection. The VIN of the host vehicle is embedded in the MiB and has to match the vehicle's VIN or it simply won't work.

I have seen MIB units offered for sale with no Component Protection registered. This means after fitting you need to take your vehicle to an Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat dealer to have the VIN Component Protection registered before it will work.

This is where it went wrong for the Audi owners. Audi dealerships were simply not willing/able to do this for non-Audi authorised retrofits.

As well as CP you would almost certainly need to have it SWAP coded - the system used to ensure only original or certified components are used.

So yes, the MiB units are available out there, though not as prolific or as cheap as pre-MiB units. You would want to check with your local dealers whether they would be willing and able to do the CP registration before spending any money on a retrofit.

• Like 1

Horton Skoda Lincoln were selling the Kenwood nav upgrade for the Bolero radio for £120 recently.

Much more reasonable than the original £499 fitted.

Horton Skoda Lincoln were selling the Kenwood nav upgrade for the Bolero radio for £120 recently.

Much more reasonable than the original £499 fitted.

I think this is a general Skoda/Kenwood tie-in as most dealers are offering it. Certainly those in my neck of the woods.

Use the contact details on the Ebay auction to contact them, ask them if they have any more.

Think the guy is called Matt in the Parts dept. His email is in the contact ebay details.