Help please strange fabia idle revs

Rob1984

Hi I'm new here I bought a fabia mk2 1.2 htp 70 07 reg done 55k a few weeks ago however whenever the engine seems to warm up the revs seem to hunt between 500 and 1000 at idle sometimes returns to normal when I press the accelerator car almost stalls and judders when it dips to the 500 mark had it tested by skoda no fault codes so they said they cleaned the throttle body soon as I drove off the forecourt it was worse then seems to just be when the engine warms up again now .

Took it to another garage tested head gasket and said there was no fault codes so I'm getting stumped been told it could be coolant temp sensor or the exhaust valves also an ecu fault or alternator or battery il drive ot to a garage when it starts hunting next time I'm driving it so they can see it doing it but just wondering if anyone has hd or solved this issue thanks

Mine did this also around 55k. When warm on long runs, releasing clutch, it would hang at around 1700 rpm then dip to almost stall then shoot up to 1700 rpm and repeat until I dabbed the accelerator.

Checked the obvious candidate, split brake vacuum hose, but that was fine.

A couple of weeks later, a coilpak went down, after changing this the problem went away for a while, but then returned.

In the end I concluded it was a dicky throttle pedal sensor. I noticed that when the hunting started, if I pulled the pedal up by hooking my foot under it, it would settle down. So in the end I "exercised" the pedal manually (engine off) by pushing the pedal down to the floor and pulling it up by hand several times. Thats seems to have fixed it.

I think its down to a bit of wear in the sensor potentiometer track at the idle end combined with the spring not quite returning the pedal fully.

Touch wood, not returned since, btw other htp owners report this behaviour on this forum.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Oh right thanks a lit for that il give it a go try the pedal trick ypu mentioned next time it does it again it did it this morning but did a 50 mile round trip yesterday and it didn't happen been at a loss as to what it is but that's a great idea that's il give it a go and let you know thanks again :)

Oh forgot to mention it normally stays jumping between 500 to 1000 revs the part in the video where it goes to around 1700 is me pressing the accelerator to get it to go back to normal so as you say it sounds like it's sticking a bit

Oh right thanks il have to look into that I've noticed a few threads latest one was 07 aswell so could be common fault I've noticed this morning that when it did it if I put my foot under the pedal and pushed the accelerator up hard from underneath then it stopped it for a bit so I've been doing that to test it at the moment

It's just confusing as to why it hunts at idle as this is only issue I have I'd understand if the revs kept going high but they seen to drop then go up between 500 and a 1000 revs would that be the throttle or a sensor issue possibly odd how it stops it when I push the pedal from underneath