Sun shades

I own a Skoda Rapid, I've been following your forum from France for a while now, I would be interested to buy sun shades for my Rapid and I'd like your opinion if some people here already thought about that option. I'm hesitating between a complete kit (side windows and rear window) or only the side windows shades. The tailor-made sun shades are quite expensive so I want to choose the right option! My point is, given the already moderate rear visibility of the Rapid, are rear sun shades recommended?

I bought a complete set of German-made tailored shades for my Spaceback (rear side windows, rear quarterlights, rear window).

This set: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ClimAir-CL-78365-Screen-5-Door/dp/B00M71JCCM/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1482243900&sr=8-11&keywords=skoda+spaceback+window

Thoroughly recommend them and worth the extra cost.

Chris

• Administrators

Hi and welcome. 

I borrowed a rapid for a week, but in winter. No Sun. I was in spain a few weeks back with an astra. I mention this as it has diabolical rear visibility.  If it we're me I'd just blank them out then adjust mirrors as if I were in a van. Purchase an additional blind spot door mirror if needs be.

You could try it with some cardboard cut to block, then you'll know if you're missing out on much visibility or not.

You could then go for different options, or; unlikely, keep the cardboard.

HTH.

Why dont you just get the windows tinted ? maybe to like OEM sunset ?

I find the sunset glass provides enough protection..

I toyed with having darker tints applied to the back half of the car. But I'd be looking at £300+ to have it done professionally (not doing it myself). The shades are less than a third of the cost, and you can take them off in winter when not needed.

Thank you for your answers! Chrisgreen, this is the type of kit I'm looking at, with other manufacturers I can get either the complete kit for 115€ or only the side windows for 78€. The cardboard idea can be good to see the driving with no rear visibility..

Regarding glass tints, there are indeed more expensive, and I'm not very confident at doing it myself to reduce the cost...

For the difference in cost, I would say it's not worth only buying the side windows - get the whole kit if you get blinds like mine.

Remember, you still have some visibility with the rear blind in place, though it is greatly reduced.

Edited by chrisgreen

One of the first things I did was get the windows tinted. It cost me £180 which is about average around my way and they did a fantastic job. Can't see much at night but it does look good.

Regarding blindspot mirrors - if you adjust your mirrors correctly then you won't need them. For years I had mine adjusted so that I could see along the side of my car then I read something online about setting them wider. I can now see everything from the mirrors and if I lean forward slightly I can still see the side of my car for whatever reason I needed to originally. I still always look over my shoulder before pulling out though

20150313_135150_zpspq7utmhq.jpg

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 2

I have had tints and shades fitted to keep the 5yr old from the sun and prying eyes off the contents of the car - I don't like the vision through the shades when looking at an angle - staggered junction etc when you look through the rear passenger windows. 

Whatever I have in situ, I never treat the rear window as the side and three quarter windows make it dark enough