Driver's Door Lock in Left Hand Drive

stratosg

My dearest briskodians.

A week ago my driver's door lock played off for good. My car is a 07 / 2010 1.2Tsi 77Kw Roomster left hand drive (Style is the equipment name in Greece). What she does since then is :

When trying to lock the car using the remote fob all doors are locking except driver's.

When trying to unlock the car using the remote fob all doors are unlocking except driver's door.

Using the remote key fob, windows are going up and down as should.

Using the key in order to lock / unlock the car, everything works fine as should. Windows comfort function also works fine.

My problem is that I do not want to go to dealer's place in order to fix / change the lock as they are too expensive. My electrician informed me that his suppliers are not sure about the lock's part number and if their aftermarket locks will do the job. So you are kindly requested, if any of you knows for sure, if using a Fabia lock will be ok.

Thanks in advance for your time and your kindness.

Edited by stratosg

I had the car scanned and the scanner showed "Intermittent driver's door lock signal" or something like that. Well I'm going to try my spare key. Yet I did the syncing steps but no luck at all.

Well I went to the car and tried the second key. No luck. It works the same way. 

What I noticed trying the spare key. If I insert the key to keyhole and give it a slight / half turn, either to lock or unlock the car, then the electromagnetic system gets activated and works alike as I pressed the remote buttons. Then another half turn of the key and I can surely feel the lock. This is the time when my car gets locked or / and unlocked.

So, my primary question to any of you that can provide me an answer remains. Does the Fabia II Facelift or some other's VAG car driver's door lock fits in and can replace my own?

I am really sorry I cannot provide you my part number as this requires to strip down the door panel and this comes up to 30 euros. 

So any opinions are very welcome. 

I'd bet it's the wiring between door and car.

KALA XRONIA

It is certainly worth a look in the very common area where the wiring loom breaks. Between the car and the door, where the door hinges are, the wiring is in the black concertina gaiter. Push down gently in the middle top of the gaiter where it attaches to the car body. As you push down pull the gaiter away from the car, the gaiter will come away from the car body at the top. Once free at the top the rest just comes away from the car body side. Push the gaiter back towards the door as best you can and look inside for any broken wires. 

• Like 1

I'd bet it's the wiring between door and car.

KALA XRONIA

Well I've been told so and this is what I am going to check next. Yet it is very strange that I drove the car to a Bosch Service Center in order to check it and he never mentioned it. By the way thank you very much for your wishes in Greek. I wish you merry Christmas and a happy new year.

It is certainly worth a look in the very common area where the wiring loom breaks. Between the car and the door, where the door hinges are, the wiring is in the black concertina gaiter. Push down gently in the middle top of the gaiter where it attaches to the car body. As you push down pull the gaiter away from the car, the gaiter will come away from the car body at the top. Once free at the top the rest just comes away from the car body side. Push the gaiter back towards the door as best you can and look inside for any broken wires. 

Ah!! I was looking for that piece of information for hours and hours. Bless you mate. I was stuck and afraid of braking or traumatizing the gaiter. Then I guess if it is indeed broken cables there, could they be soldered?

Well as I am not the luckiest man on this planet, I am going to give it a try after 27 of December just to be sure that I will be able to find a technician if needed as I will be in parents in law place where no internet connection exists in the house as they are too old and I have to be sure about the village's Bosch service center is open (this is a different one).

Merry Christmas to all of you and may 2017 will be a year without pain, illnesses, war, poverty, unemployment, accidents but a year of health, joy, creativity, health, prosperity, wealth, health, health and health.

Then I guess if it is indeed broken cables there, could they be soldered?

I have done a similar repair by soldering in a new length of wire. (It was the tailgate) I opened the loom inside the gaiter to identify which colour wires were broken. Then I threaded a new wire (about 1 meter) inside the gaiter one end towards the car, other end towards the door. I cut the wire that was broken inside the car also inside the door. I then soldered in the new length to bridge the gap. I left the old broken wire in place and taped where I had cut the wrapping of the loom. Leave a little slack to prevent it happening again. Good luck!

Edited by bryanb
  • Like 1

I have done a similar repair by soldering in a new length of wire. (It was the tailgate) I opened the loom inside the gaiter to identify which colour wires were broken. Then I threaded a new wire (about 1 meter) inside the gaiter one end towards the car, other end towards the door. I cut the wire that was broken inside the car also inside the door. I then soldered in the new length to bridge the gap. I left the old broken wire in place and taped where I had cut the wrapping of the loom. Leave a little slack to prevent it happening again. Good luck!

That's great! My problem at the moment remains the gaiter. I cannot un-clip it from the pillar. I tied gently, I tried a bit harder but with no luck. 

By the way just in case it is not the cables in the gaiter and it is the lock, is it possible to replace it with a Fabia one, or one from other VAG cars? If anyone knows please contribute.

It does not unclip from the door. It only unclips from the A Piller. You push down in the middle at the top of the gaiter. Push down on the black rubber directly where it joins the A Piller. There is a clip that hooks under the metal of the A Piller hole. Push the clip down and the gaiter will come away at the top.

As you see in the photo I broke my plastic clip. But I then changed the whole loom anyway, so all was replaced.

However I have checked other doors. Try slipping a thin flat screwdriver between A Piller and Gaiter. As said top of gaiter in the middle. Push down gently and lift gaiter away.

post-23406-0-84653900-1482612959_thumb.jpg

post-23406-0-64025100-1482613587_thumb.jpg

post-23406-0-97157100-1482614177_thumb.jpg

Edited by aubrey
  • Like 2

It does not unclip from the door. It only unclips from the A Piller. You push down in the middle at the top of the gaiter. Push down on the black rubber directly where it joins the A Piller. There is a clip that hooks under the metal of the A Piller hole. Push the clip down and the gaiter will come away at the top.

As you see in the photo I broke my plastic clip. But I then changed the whole loom anyway, so all was replaced.

However I have checked other doors. Try slipping a thin flat screwdriver between A Piller and Gaiter. As said top of gaiter in the middle. Push down gently and lift gaiter away.

Thanks Aubrey, this is what I am afraid of, breaking gaiter's clip. I 'll give it a couple of tries. If I will not make it, I will leave it for an electrician or a body shop worker to do it.

How much was the cost of the loom?

Season's greetings to all.

Edited by stratosg

The whole door loom was about £90. To replace that you need to remove door handle, then door card, drill off 4 speaker rivets and carefully pull off a piece of thin foam allowing access to the door lock connection.

Then threading the new loom is quite simple, I glued the foam panel back.

Buy new door card clips and 4 new speaker rivets. Also get the exact part number of the door loom from the label on the loom in the door. There are few different variants and you want to order the correct one.

The door card clips always snap on pulling off the door card.

• Like 1

The whole door loom was about £90. To replace that you need to remove door handle, then door card, drill off 4 speaker rivets and carefully pull off a piece of thin foam allowing access to the door lock connection.

Then threading the new loom is quite simple, I glued the foam panel back.

Buy new door card clips and 4 new speaker rivets. Also get the exact part number of the door loom from the label on the loom in the door. There are few different variants and you want to order the correct one.

The door card clips always snap on pulling off the door card.

Ok! Price seems to be fair enough, but I am not sure about that fairness in Greek market as most of the cases prices are sky high here. That is why I am looking to know if Fabia's door lock is compatible with Roomster.

I got a quote for 160 euros for the lock and 40 euros for fitting it. So I am guessing that loom will cost me around 200euros.

• 7 months later...

Well after about a year, i made the descision. I grabed an old cloth and a flat screwdriver and with a bit of agony i managed to unclip the gaiter. 

And... Tadah... two wires cut and one more ready to.

A bit of cutting, extending , soldering and covering tightly with duct tape and finally i got back my remote door locking and unlocking.

I would like to thank all of you who responded to my thread/problem, giving me the directions to fix my car.

I know i was too slow, but now i had the time and the nerves to play with this.

THANK YOU BRIDKODIANS, THANK YOU BRISKODA. You are my skoda e-family.

YUCK FOU VAG, for being so skimpy on cheap wires. 

Edited by stratosg
  • Like 2