Selector problem with DSG

CrazyCam

Hi there.

I drove my wife, in her Skoda Roomster, to the shops.... so far, so good.

Roomster in question is a 2012 model 1.2 turbo petrol, 7 speed DSG, with about 20,000 kms on clock in Australia.
Found a parking spot (eventually) then tried to switch off engine and open doors..........
No, sorry, you haven't selected park in the transmission. clear.png
Ah... but I couldn't shift into Park..... or Reverse. Now what. I also couldn't get the ignition key out of it's wee slot.
I don't actually remember how I got out of the car, but, while it was in Neutral, I pushed it backwards enough to drive it forwards and out of the shopping center and down to the nearest Skoda dealership.

So far, so good..... I parked on a bit of an up-hill so I could get back out without reverse.... fine.... but there was no way I could open the doors of the car. clear.png

So we have the windows wound down and we are waving at the mechanics passing by, shouting:"HELP!"

Eventually, a bloke came and managed to get the doors open and let Angie and I out.

He pulled apart the selector lever thingie, leaving me with a lever, with a wee bit sticking out the top and told me to pull on the wee bit at the top and that would let me then move the main selector lever into whatever possie I wanted... including Park and Reverse.

That did work, and allowed us to continue, back to the shopping, but their quote for a replacement gear selector knob was over seven hundred dollars!

The seven hundred dollar part, was, by number 5J2713 1112 according to the bloke at the dealership.

I can't find such a Skoda part, nearest seems to be 5J 2713 111F or possibly G.

If the required part does indeed end with F, I've been quoted 22 pounds 48 pence, out of England....... a far cry from $750.

Anyhow, I now have a metal tube as the main lever, with a white plastic rod inside the metal tube, which I have to pull up to allow selecting Reverse or Park.   The white plastic bit has a slot cut in it, where I expect something should be to allow it to be pulled up by the button on the side of the knob.

There is no sign of a broken bit, but I can't be certain.

Have any of you folk had cause to pull apart and then re-assemble your gear knob bits, and, if so, can you give me some hints on how to do it, please?

• 5 weeks later...

Replying to my own posting.....

Today, I drove the Roomster up to our local Skoda dealership, went into the service department office and told my story.

Firstly, I found out that the bloke who told me I needed a 750 dollar part to fix the problem had left.

Then, a helpful bloke went and had a look at the car, the parts cattledog, mumbled a bit and a mechanic appeared.

He only seemed to be carrying a pair of pliers.

"Did I want it fixed right now?"

Errr, yes, please.

He sat in the car, took almost four minutes, and there it was back, fixed, just like new....... :-)

I think, but wouldn't swear to it, that he fitted a split pin into the selector mechanism.

No charge!   :-)

It has renewed my faith in nice car dealerships.

• Like 1

Good.

While you are posting on the DSG, has yours had the Service Campaign work done for the World Wide Recall on the DQ200?

Only a Service Campaign in Europe, & called a Service Campaign in New Zealand but then they did the right thing there, & it is a Recall in Australia.

http://www.skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Edited by Offski