VRS 4X4 Haldex/ transmission noise?!

Hello

Having owned a 2014 VRS estate manual for the last 2 years, I have recently swapped it for a new 4x4 VRS DSG estate.

Generally the car is an improvement over my previous one BUT, in the last 1000 miles I have noticed a whining/ humming type noise when decelerating from speed. Especially noticable at motorway speed but also audible when slowing from 30 - 0.

Is this normal for a 4X4 Haldex transmission or something which I should be concerned about?

There is also abit of a buffeting through the seats over 60 mph.

Thanks

Tom

I have done just under 7,000mls in 5 weeks with my 4x4 VRS and so far it is the quietest of the 3 VRS's I have had

No vibrations or rumbles (fingers crossed now I've opened my big mouth)

I would say a trip to a dealer asap in the new year

Maybe best to say how many miles the car has done, what servicing has it had, and what tyres are fitted, what pressures are run at etc.

It's done 6500 miles, running standard 18inch size Yokohama winter tyres at standard pressures

Really quite low mileage then.

Were the Yokohama fitted when you got the car or have you fitted them since?

What is standard about winter tyres on a vRS in the UK, are they what the car is delivered on?

Edited by Offski

Just back from my dealer having been out on a road test. The technician agrees that the noise should not be there and is going to drive another 4x4 octavia today just to confirm. So it's just a case of waiting for a call now to get the car back in.

When the car is knocked into N the noise stops, so it would appear as though it's something transmission related.

Hi Thomas 5265

I had the same issue as yourself with my vrs4x4.

Went to the dealer a number of times, and all they could say, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

But I am glad you've got a better dealer than what I had.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Please keep us informed how you get on.

We had a '15 A4 Avant Quattro black edition and had a strange noise coming from the back end turned out to be the tyres sawtoothing, changed the tyres noise was gone.

Soooooo, to give you an update.....

My car had a new diff fitted on Friday and I was told to collect it on Saturday morning. Anyway, when I got to the dealer on Saturday I was told that the car had been road tested and the initial noise had been fixed but there was now a 'new noise' at 65-70mph!!! Great!!

So they told me to go away again and they'd update me on Monday.

To say i'm angry & dissapointed is an understatement!!

I've owned the car for 6 weeks and so far this is the second issue the car has had. On collection, the steering wheel was out of alignment by a good 15 degrees.

I paid cash for the car and had planned to keep it for at least the next 4 years, but who wants a car that's having this many issues at only 6 months old!!??

Do I have any rights to request a replacement vehicle?

Hi Thomas 5265

I had the same issue as yourself with my vrs4x4.

Went to the dealer a number of times, and all they could say, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

But I am glad you've got a better dealer than what I had.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Please keep us informed how you get on.

Do you still have the car?

Soooooo, to give you an update.....

My car had a new diff fitted on Friday and I was told to collect it on Saturday morning. Anyway, when I got to the dealer on Saturday I was told that the car had been road tested and the initial noise had been fixed but there was now a 'new noise' at 65-70mph!!! Great!!

So they told me to go away again and they'd update me on Monday.

To say i'm angry & dissapointed is an understatement!!

I've owned the car for 6 weeks and so far this is the second issue the car has had. On collection, the steering wheel was out of alignment by a good 15 degrees.

I paid cash for the car and had planned to keep it for at least the next 4 years, but who wants a car that's having this many issues at only 6 months old!!??

Do I have any rights to request a replacement vehicle?

What is the new noise and where do you think its coming from?

As you are focusing on the noise from the gearbox, which is understandable, could it be somthing else, tyres, turbo howl, etc.

My car does all sorts of funny things, different road surfaces different noise.

Hi Thomas 5265

No I traded the car in

My dealer was absolute crap. Never been back to the dealership.

They have lost 5 of my family's business.

your dealer seem to be trying to fix the issue.

It's a pity, it's a great car to drive.

Like you I was planning to keep the car for a few years.

What is the new noise and where do you think its coming from?

As you are focusing on the noise from the gearbox, which is understandable, could it be somthing else, tyres, turbo howl, etc.

My car does all sorts of funny things, different road surfaces different noise.

Well I haven't had the car back to drive yet since they fitted the new diff. All I've been told is that there is now a new noise and the 'master tech' isn't happy with it

I traded in my 2014 Octavia VRS estate and my 2009 Honda S2000 for this car and am incredibly frustrated with the outcome. Having had nothing but praise for the last VRS, I have already decided this will be my last VAG product!

Hi Thomas 5265

No I traded the car in

My dealer was absolute crap. Never been back to the dealership.

They have lost 5 of my family's business.

your dealer seem to be trying to fix the issue.

It's a pity, it's a great car to drive.

Like you I was planning to keep the car for a few years.

What did you replace it with?

Well I haven't had the car back to drive yet since they fitted the new diff. All I've been told is that there is now a new noise and the 'master tech' isn't happy with it

Ah well thats half the battle, at least its them who say its not right, that imo is a good thing. Its a shame it wasent 30 days or less, i wish i gave mine back after then.

If your happy with the car not including the recent issue i would keep it otherwise your going to loose a ton of money unless you have a very nice garage who will buy it back without screwing you. They depreciate like hell as i am now discovering.

If you are realy unhappy you can refuse a car under some circumstances, but i would get legal advice to get clear and concise advice on how to do it, 100 quid well spent and they will tell you immediately if you have chance.

Edited by Alpha2110

Hi

I bought a Audi A4. New shape

3months old

Missed my vrs to much, bought a pre reg vrs est about a week ago.

Love it.

I did have a look about.before buying the vrs.

Looked at the Mazda 6, mondeo, Passat, the golf gtd est.

The reason I bought the vrs again, was I could test drive it before buying it.

So I've just spoken to the dealer. They are saying that the 'new' diff sent to them by Skoda is faulty and they are now waiting for yet another one to be sent to them. This will be the third diff fitted to my car and it's only 6 months old!!

:dull:

I'm keeping everything crossed that this sorts it out!!

The second diff didn't arrive today so they're hoping it'll be there in the morning. Really hoping that when this is fitted the problem is cured. I just get a bad feeling that I've bought a 'bad un'!