AC not cool down well

Moisesm

02 January 2017 - 00:33

I have a felicia 1.3 97. I live in Dr where is very hot the whole year long. I took my car to the technitian to check on the air conditioner. He checked the system and end up completing the refrigerant gas. The problem is when it is very hot outside it does not cool down well, but if it is raining or it is in the evening time it works a bit better. I noticed that it taking in the air from outside (bonnet)and not recirculating the air. The recirculation button is stock in. What should I do? Please advice

Note: I read the skoda manual, so i can deal the AC more efectively

Your description is very vague. Words like "very hot outside", "not cool down well", "in the evening", "it works a bit better" are irrelevant.

In order to appreciate the performance of the A/C system, we need to know 2 temperatures:

1. the outside temperature
  2. the temperature at the central grill vents with A/C on and the blower at full speed

88dR9Nd.jpg

The recirculation button is stock in. What should I do? Please advice

Well, unstuck it, obviously, or replace it.

You say that you have the Skoda (service) manual. So read how to disassemble the A/C control panel.

Edited by RicardoM

Might I suggest that the place to start is with unsticking the recirculation button, because if it's stuck in recirc mode the amount of new air that the air con will draw is limited at best and possibly 0. This will certainly impact negatively on the overall effectiveness of the aircon.

Might I suggest that the place to start is with unsticking the recirculation button, because if it's stuck in recirc mode the amount of new air that the air con will draw is limited at best and possibly 0. This will certainly impact negatively on the overall effectiveness of the aircon.

Wrong. Re-circulating air already inside a vehicle's cabin is the fastest way to cool down a car - far faster than fresh air pulled into the cabin.

Unsticking the recirculation button is a priority not because there is no A/C efficiency. It's about a health risk. If you run your car's A/C system on the re-circulate mode for too long, you breathe air already been breathed in and out by other occupants riding along with you. That combination can make you groggy, which can hinder your concentration and safe driving ability.

A good A/C system should be able to lower the temperature by 15 deg. Celsius (30 deg. Fahrenheit). Humidity plays a major role. The higher the humidity, the lower the efficiency.

The main causes of A/C low efficiency are:

• compressor clutch not engaging properly
  • condenser fan not working properly
  • debris in front of the condenser

That is all you can check and try to fix. More diagnose should be performed only by A/C technicians.

Your description is very vague. Words like "very hot outside", "not cool down well", "in the evening", "it works a bit better" are irrelevant.

ok,  thank for your support. let me try to fix it now.

In order to appreciate the performance of the A/C system, we need to know 2 temperatures:

1. the outside temperature
  2. the temperature at the central grill vents with A/C on and the blower at full speed

Well, unstuck it, obviously, or replace it.

You say that you have the Skoda (service) manual. So read how to disassemble the A/C control panel.

The  temperatures outside is 32 degrees Celsius  and  with the A/C blowing at full speed is  between 25 and 26 degrees Celsius.

as for the manual it only contains instructions and guidance about the car in general, in other words. it explains certain procedure how use  the car more effectively, but nothing too deep.

A good A/C system should be able to lower the temperature by 15 deg. Celsius (30 deg. Fahrenheit). Humidity plays a major role. The higher the humidity, the lower the efficiency.

The main causes of A/C low efficiency are:

• compressor clutch not engaging properly
  • condenser fan not working properly
  • debris in front of the condenser

That is all you can check and try to fix. More diagnose should be performed only by A/C technicians.

the technician told that Compressor is engaging very well.

the front of the condenser  has  been cleaned really carefully

I guess radiator  fan is  not problem  it kicks in as soon as the A/C is turns on and it changes speed base on the heat.

I have few concerns on this topic.

1. when I bought the car I noticed that little lever  was preventing the other one from moving by using  a short  wire at the bottom of the A/C console.  here is the picture

post-144537-0-48975700-1483575118_thumb.jpg

can you guys please tell me what those lever are for?

Might I suggest that the place to start is with unsticking the recirculation button,

2.is there way you can share some pictures, document or guidance on how to unstick this button please?

Frankly, even though the recirculation button is stuck that does not necessarily means that is currently working, Why?

because I can feel and hear that A/C is sucking the air through the Bonnet (I do not know the name of the part)

post-144537-0-83851500-1483575830_thumb.jpg

3.Relay j229 gets extremely hot and it  makes the fan kick in as soon as I start the car. ironically if I remove it  everything work  seemingly fine.  

Sorry, I can't help with unsticking an individual control.

Hopefully I can explain clearly how an aircon system works, and what it adds to a normal "car heater".

Some people, and Ricardo is clearly one of them, think that all aircon does is give you "cold air". This is wrong!! Aircon gives you cooler air at about 70% relative humidity, when it's working at full efficiency and drawing outside air.

It does this by adding a system like a domestic refrigerator, and an air drier, to the car heater.

When the ventilation system is in recirc mode, as he correctly states, the chilling effect is greater (because the same air goes through the car and the chiller over and over): The dehumidifying effect is non-existent, because the cabin air never passed through the drier, only the chiller.

What you're hearing and feeling is the radiator fan drawing air through the aircon radiator part of the chiller.

Some people, and Ricardo is clearly one of them, think that all aircon does is give you "cold air".

I am telling you once and for all. Quit putting words in my mouth! Your knowledge about Skoda Felicia is based entirely on Google and Wikipedia and it shows with every reply. I can understand you have too much free time on your hands and you want to beat the unofficial record of the highest number of generic replies in this forum. But I can't understand why you keep thinking you're helping people by teaching them generic theory about generic cars. Because you're not! On the contrary.

Sorry, I can't help with unsticking an individual control.

You see? That says all. In fact you should start all your replies like this: "I can't help you with... whatever... But I can copy/paste for you what I've learned from Google..."

If you want to see how a helpful reply looks like, read below.

Here are some illustrations that show how the fresh air / recirculating flaps work.

0U69hnj.jpg

n0OcNrX.jpg

As you can see, the sector gears you asked about are part of the recirculation flaps mechanism. Yours is blocked. By unblocking it, the recirculation button should restore its function. Of course this is true if the vacuum damper and the vacuum circuit that operates the flaps are intact.

Re. relay J229. See electrical diagram below. Compare the wiring and restore it to original. Previous owners of the car tampered with it.

Z72LgvV.jpg

OFBWsRI.jpg

Edited by RicardoM

• 2 weeks later...

Some people, and Ricardo is clearly one of them, think that all aircon does is give you "cold air". This is wrong!! Aircon gives you cooler air at about 70% relative humidity, when it's working at full efficiency and drawing outside air.

It does this by adding a system like a domestic refrigerator, and an air drier, to the car heater.

When the ventilation system is in recirc mode, as he correctly states, the chilling effect is greater (because the same air goes through the car and the chiller over and over): The dehumidifying effect is non-existent, because the cabin air never passed through the drier, only the chiller.

What you're hearing and feeling is the radiator fan drawing air through the aircon radiator part of the chiller.

This is stupid, what you've said. There's no dehumidifier in aircon, it's only side effect of AC - humidity condenses on evaporator, becuse of it's low temperature...

This is stupid, what you've said. There's no dehumidifier in aircon, it's only side effect of AC - humidity condenses on evaporator, becuse of it's low temperature...

And the only thing that goes through the drier is the air con refrigerant, not the air.

Sorry to go off topic but hello Papez it's good to see someone on here from Czech Republic (and with a Felicia Sportline too!).

• Like 1

Hello there,

Vacuum circuit that operates the flaps are not intact, but I managed to fixed  by sealing the top flap with some chemical, so it is recirculating the air all the time  and Air Condition is working a lot better. I also came across with a few leakages in the radiator area, specially where hose are. I bought some pipe clamps and tightened them. A/C is performing well. I need to measure  the temperature soon.

As for the Relay issue. Frankly, I need to learn how to read the wiring diagram. I will try to find someone who can help me on that. I really appreciate  your support and commitment  to help others.

I really interested to open another topics about car suspension soon.

thank you again guys!!!

I would try to check coolant again and make sure, there's enough of it in system. From what I've read on czech forum, difference between almost empty and properly filled system is pretty big. Empty system had similar symptoms you're describing, properly working one was able to make ~15°C output in 30° weather

Yoss: thanks :D Well, sportline is not good name, theres's nothing "sporty" on 1.3l estate :D But I'm trying my best to make that car better :)

I would try to check coolant again and make sure, there's enough of it in system. From what I've read on czech forum, difference between almost empty and properly filled system is pretty big. Empty system had similar symptoms you're describing, properly working one was able to make ~15°C output in 30° weather

If you read carefully his first message you'll see that he went to an A/C technician. He refilled the system with refrigerant gas. Nothing changed. Then he got some advice in here from me and now the A/C "is working a lot better". Problem solved.

• 3 years later...
On 05/01/2017 at 02:36, Moisesm said:

1. when I bought the car I noticed that little lever  was preventing the other one from moving by using  a short  wire at the bottom of the A/C console.  here is the picture

post-144537-0-48975700-1483575118_thumb.jpg

can you guys please tell me what those lever are for?

Ha something to do with this?

Bosch 0390721002

A/C air conditioning regulator motor

Edited by D.FYLAKTOS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I recently acquired an AC unit from a 1.3 Mpi powered felicia but some parts are missing (obviously since its from a wrecking yard). Anyway, does anyone know how the vacuum reservoir locks from inside, is there any replacement alternatives or at least how should it operate and how it is connected to the 1.3 MPI's vacuum line?

Thanks in advance.

The vacuum reservoir is intended to store enough vacuum so that the air recirculation flap can operate even with the engine stopped.

16 hours ago, eugenwolf said:

how the vacuum reservoir locks from inside

What do you mean?

8 hours ago, RicardoM said:

The vacuum reservoir is intended to store enough vacuum so that the air recirculation flap can operate even with the engine stopped.

What do you mean?

Well, I guess I should build one since I think I won't be able to buy it so I was just wondering if there is a sketch or blueprint I could use. We got this expression "looking from inside" which basically means what it has inside or sth like that .

2 hours ago, eugenwolf said:

We got this expression "looking from inside" which basically means what it has inside or sth like that .

Yes but you wrote LOCKING not LOOKING.