Morning Skoda afficionados! I want to modify my Fav, but I don't want to go down the "supermarket carpark" style mods; I love what the Czechs and Hungarians are doing, namely keeping stock but lowering significantly and putting banded steels on instead of alloys. Now, does anyone have any advice for me when it comes to steels? What would be a good donor wheel set to modify? 15" or 16"? Many thanks, Wezzlers

I don't know. Effects on the steering will depend on how wide you go, and how much (if at all) you intend changing the standard offset.

If you can give me the standard width and offset, and how much you intend adding to the width and changing the offset, I can give you an idea of what the effects will be, but possibly not how severe they will be.

I wouldnt go any bigger than 15" on my felicia as personally i think it would be a bit big on a hatchback. Im on 15 x 6 BBS's (195/45/15) with 15mm spacers on the front and I modded my HP sporting coilovers to 50mm lower than the lowest setting because it was way too high when first fitted.

32131252831_8b9aa595bc_c.jpg1936 by Joe Jeggo, on Flickr

I know im talking about a felicia but i reckon 14/15" steels that are wider looks pretty tidy on favorit or felica. Just scourer ebay and gumtree and see if you can find wheels already banded or ones you can get done yourself

Edited by Jeggo

You could get a set of VW G60 steels and not have to band them. There are pictures somewhere on here of Teflon Toms Felicia with them on. They look standard and I think you'll even get the Skoda centre caps on.

I've got 195/50 15s on mine, I think they'll give you all the grip you'll ever need on a 1.3 Favorit, though I,and I suspect Joe above (as it's a facelift), have power steering so I don't know how heavy the steering will be.

I've got 195/50 15s on mine, I think they'll give you all the grip you'll ever need on a 1.3 Favorit, though I,and I suspect Joe above (as it's a facelift), have power steering so I don't know how heavy the steering will be.

No power steering on this Bessie. Steering was significantly lighter with these wheels and lower profile tyres on. Lowering also made it a lot easier to turn so unless you get some heavy wheels you should be alright :D

Ok,I'll bear that in mind if I get another Favorit! I think my Ronal Turbos would look good on one being quite sharp an angular.

Ricardo - I feel the urge to fit wide wheels and tyres because that's what I like :-)

Don't you think there are enough Favorits out there owned by boys thinking they have rally cars with powerful engines?

Edited by RicardoM

Ricardo - I feel the urge to fit wide wheels and tyres because that's what I like :-)

Ken, I was looking at 4x100 wheels.

That's the PCD; The data I need will be more like, say, 5.5x13ET40 as standard, being banded out to 6.5 wide (by, say adding 1" to the outside).

This was Tom's car when he first did it. Very understated. Though I've just been looking for these on eBay and there's only one set on there and that's £350!. Although they do have tyres on them. Still seems rather steep though, I'm sure Tom got his for about £40 each new. Paying extra for VW scene tax I guess.

post-98319-0-72095600-1484235715_thumb.jpg

Actually, just thought, Tom's car passed to a guy called Bete Noir on here and I see in the more recent pictures he's running different wheels. Might be worth giving him a PM. See the 1.8 transplant thread in the classic project section.