Light wattage

Aspman

Mentioned in another thread that as part of upgrading my kitchen I was planning on changing the downlighters. At the moment they are brass look with large traditional reflector bulbs. Not nice, very dated.

To switch to LED downlighters looks like it'll be a hassle because they are so much smaller and I'd need to bore new holes and patch the old or use some sort of adapter kit.

But then.... I've found these new fangled flat panel LEDs. They're very thin but wider then LED spots. They should actually fit directly into the holes of the old lights.

This sort of thing. They all come with individual drivers so I can wire them straight to the old cables.

led-flat-panel-light-6-watt-round-120mm-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recessed-Ceiling-Downlight-Transformer-Equivalent-x/dp/B019O4FMC8/

All good but any idea over what wattage?

There will be ten of them in the room to replace what is there. They're not dimmable so I need to get it right.

I'm assuming 9W from an LED panel will be quite a lot. But I'm guessing?

Edited by Aspman

I'm guessing these should be quite diffuse,the LEDs are covered with a....cover. And it's 6 of them not 10. Can't count.

Switching the minging central lamp for some more LED lights too. These will sit over the breakfast bar. Separate switch so doesn't mater if they're a bit bright.

Just about to order along with some other bits and bobs.

Pulled some of the of the ceiling paper away. It's feckin embossed as well like every other surface in the house, under it....they painted the ceiling magnolia  :peek: . Why?!

The LED bulbs I have bought recently have been VERY bright, well above the 1w =10W incandescent level.

9W LED is going to give you somewhere between 100-150W equivalent.

Cant you just buy LED replacements for what you have?? Thats what I did for my bathroom when a bulb blew a few weeks ago, a 3.5W LED from Lidl replacing a 30W Halogen, the colour is slightly different, but the brightness level is exactly the same..

I've recently fitted 12 new 10w dimmable LEDs in the kitchen and part from being exceptionally bright, they were also colour switchable to suit how 'harsh' you felt the light needed to be. The colour temperature (and magnetic faceplates) were a big factor in deciding to get the ones I did.

Could a hole 'repair' give you a bigger choice of lights to pick from or does the wallpapered ceiling rule that out?

The LED bulbs I have bought recently have been VERY bright, well above the 1w =10W incandescent level.

9W LED is going to give you somewhere between 100-150W equivalent.

Cant you just buy LED replacements for what you have?? Thats what I did for my bathroom when a bulb blew a few weeks ago, a 3.5W LED from Lidl replacing a 30W Halogen, the colour is slightly different, but the brightness level is exactly the same..

The ones I've ordered are 6W 450Lum allegedly ~40W equivalent.

The reason for changing the fittings and not just the bulbs is that they are very old fashioned brass look. They're just pretty nasty. The people in the house before me were in their 70s and it shows in their taste.

My new kitchen is contemporary handle-less gloss. Which clashes with the bits of the house that are stuck in 1977.

The main ceiling light is so ghastly it's become a bit of a talking point. The first thing anyone says about the house is "do you still have.....the light"  It's like a big glass green lilly about 14" square on a faux antique brass chain. Like a big hideous bucket hanging from the hideous embossed ceiling.

Got two through today in separate packages. 4 more lights and 4 more parcels then amazon?

Wire one up to an old plug to get an idea how bright. Much brighter than a 40W bulb, closer to 60W I'd say.

It'll be bright but ok.

The main ceiling light is so ghastly it's become a bit of a talking point. The first thing anyone says about the house is "do you still have.....the light"  It's like a big glass green lilly about 14" square on a faux antique brass chain. Like a big hideous bucket hanging from the hideous embossed ceiling.

I'd keep a hold of it and see what it fetches on ebay. Might be some other '70s tat you could fetch a few bob from.

I'd keep a hold of it and see what it fetches on ebay. Might be some other '70s tat you could fetch a few bob from.

You reckon?

I think I might need an exorcist to get rid of it properly

post-18480-0-36357100-1483639192_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm scared to dust it just in case it's like a fly-trap plant or something and takes my hand off

vaONgYlW6zByMFkZ6v2RLXzfxLt.jpg

• Like 2

Thats a level of spectacular awfulness that should be preserved :D

Hang it from something in a tv room and use it for storing m&ms for during movies :)

Other issue I have is colour temperature, along with being blinded.

Some people's kitchens are now more akin to laboratories, such is the blue 'coldness' of the light output.

• Like 1

Indeed.

At least I now know, that if it mentions 'cool' anywhere on a lighting product now, to run a mile.... whilst trying to not look it in the eye ;)