• Announcements

• ColinD

2017 EMail Issues - Post Upgrade   23/01/17

Hi,   Following a successful upgrade of our old code; being out of support we had to upgrade, we've encountered an unforeseen in preview and testing issue with our production email.   This means that email isn't sending as well as it should. You might ask for the email and we might send it, it also might get blocked by your ISP. Btinternet, AOL and Yahoo are well known for blocking.   We're working on it and I hope to have an solution working shortly.    Out of all that could of gone wrong, this isn't the worst case   As to other issues and 'change' as I said, it's forced upon us. To not change is irresponsible. More updates to follow once we're past our initial snag list.   There's only one working on it though; me, so please be patient, read the support topics, spend a few minutes, it's not that different once you get over the shock.   Cheers,   Colin   Snag List Topic >>       

2017 Website Upgrade

44 posts in this topic

I'm pushing back to the 23rd as I'm behind this week and whilst it would be ok... well you know one more check to be sure.

...and typically the problem I was fighting with all of yesterday has evaporated in this mornings testing. Them's the days you love to hate.

Some thoughts on the new demo site:

• Frame on left hand side is too wide IMO - will there be a way to hide it or minimise?
  • Like the pinned announcement section at the top (currently with Test It)
  • Sub forum titles too big IMO
  • Like the cover photo option in the profile

The text sizing looks very big when compared to current Briskoda 

Super, thank you for taking a look.

Text size is bigger and the title bars is definitely oversized to the point of busting it's seams :D It will come down a tiny bit. You'll be amazed at how many cannot find things. Partly down to the evolved nature of organising :S. New site also has a revised take on that. I was also going for a title look and feel and trimmed away a lot of shadow boxes and space... I like it, but then... I'm not a good judge of my own likes.

Frame on the left is wide, but it's also a 'standard width'. At best I can make it 53% of it's width but the most elements wrap like crazy then.

There is a config switch to hide it. This will probably be on, as in you can toggle it. I'll check this as I might be confused...long old day.

It's not shown if you drop the res, so depending on what device etc, or just shrink the browser horizontally, below 979px. You'll invoke tablet mode to see the width in effect... bah so from a mobile you see less, but need to see less because you're mobile. As it gets bigger we can show you the same stuff, but fit more in around it keeping a 979ish width view of the forum content and so on. If you have a 5k screen and viewing native at full screen then the column should not be an issue, but it is new and omnipresent. If you view this site -> forum index is the column too wide? It's  similar, but on the RHS and not present everywhere.

I've typed all this to try and dump some thoughts/discussion. :)

1 person likes this

Thanks.

Viewing both Brisky Old and Brisky New on same screen (different windows), same resolution, same zoom etc and it is noticeable that Brisky New "looks" larger.

The trend for stuff is to be more spaced, flatter and that scrolling is more acceptable than say 10years ago. I'm sure the physios will be loving the increased work.

That said I put the fonts and a few other gremlins to rest yesterday. So the design has been tweaked. It's still 'bigger'. 

The header is still what I'm experimenting with, image versus black, fat versus thin. Both work, I'll have decided by tonight I think :) Doing final test builds this week now.

By way of a rolling bump, so people see this topic...

Satellite database extractions done - this removes the dependency on the core db server for our other applications.

In other words, I can mess this box up and not loose too much other stuff :D

Next up is new db server build :D just in case ;)

Is there any way to update/edit/delete an event once added to the calendar?

Has the events/calendar issue been resolved yet. I added an event as just a normal member but it refuses to let me edit or delete the event as it only allows moderators this permission?

P.S. I have now upgraded to Windows7 so XP is no longer an issue.

Sadly from digging it's a no. From the permissions panel on the calendar it's not something that is possible for any custom/default group. 

There is no edit option for any group, other than moderators by way of an assumed right. As such edits will have to be made via reports or as I tend to do, just link the entry to a post.

I'll have a dig over the bug list on the dev's site. Its still huge! That's why I've waited soooo long, then ran out of road on the cliff edge.

dammit... yes you can.

but it's done on the same forum content editing timer.

ack well every day is a school day.

What will probably occur is a longer window on edits, 60mins for users, 5mins for new users but no silent edits; that is edits are logged and reasoned, currently just reasoned. Freedom will carry over as per. The exact time escapes my memory at the moment... Got a day of setting A to setting B logging set aside.

2 people like this

A few subtle updates in place today.

Dropped the sidebar on post view/ moved similar content ( primary reason ) to below the post content. This now enables similar content to be visible on mobile : Win

Migrated to a CDN, so all 'fluffy' images, stuff like that are being served by a global cdn : Faster > https://gtmetrix.com/reports/ipbtest.densleighdesigns.co.uk/lrqydS0k

Today I'll be removing the header image and working on the footer.

Please go and have a play, the more you play now, the less of a change it will be and gremlins can be worked out now, rather than watching a maintenance screen :D

Happy days.

http://ipbtest.densleighdesigns.co.uk 

Following is the replacement for friends.  It's a choice the vendors made based on social network trends.

Can you expand on the @username issue?

ok, slow day... test forum is up from backups on a new server. License is all sorted.

Beginning upgrade of test.

When complete I'll release the test url, this is a full site test as of the 16th of this month. Should give us a feel over the next day or two of gremlins over and above those from the test site above...

More updates soon.

Test migration done - which is the first half of the migration. The second; although it's not really an even half split, is the post migration config, updates etc.

I'll have the bulk of these out of the way in the next hour or so.

While these are running I'm also taking to some preparatory work on this site. So some forums will be appearing/moving.