Floppy door mirror control knob

edbostan

Should the knob which controls the door mirror function be floppy when turned past its selected function? For example, if you choose the heating setting a resistance is felt when the knob selects the function but after the resistance the knob becomes floppy and imprecise. It has been like it since new and wonder if it is normal.

Ours went floppy on the Fabia - I took it apart and a tiny spring and plunger assembly inside the switch had jammed up over time as the grease had gone thick.  I stripped it, cleaned it and reassembled with new grease and it was fine thereafter.

Mine is rock solid in all positions.

Mine too.

I had initially understood OP to say that with the knob set to any of its four positions, the knob lost all resistance to movement and "flopped" about at will.

What I now believe OP is saying is that with the knob set to (say) the heat position, if the knob is then turned towards the L or R positions and released it will "flop" back to the heat position.  This (as others have said) is normal.

Apologies to Edbostan if I've still got it wrong!