speaker upgrade for skoda yeti ?

jim100jam

Hi

Just looking to find a suitable speaker upgrade kit for my skoda yeti , id like to upgrade the lower door speaker and tweeters without butchering the door panels wiring. Ive looked online but so far havent found anything suitable...any suggestions ? 

I havent checked the size in the yeti but most vw group cars are 6.5" components. Just remove a door card and measure up you may still need to make mounting ring or an adaptor as standard speakers always seem to have different mount patterns.

door tweeter speaker is knackered.,,,cant replace this as a seperate speaker so may as well upgrade all at once ...last vw golf i had had better standard speakers that skodas oem fitment so theyre not excellent 

Perhaps they weren't as good years ago but they are now.

A number of us have said how good the standard set up is in the Yeti and like me they appreciate decent sound quality.

But as you have a damaged speaker anyway you might as well fit better if you can.

VW parts bin must be worth a look. Know I have got used to them I must admit the Yetis aren't that bad, but I did not realise how good the speakers were on my 2004 Touran until I got rid of it. I think it had 10 speakers as standard though.

Colin

Thanks to the members that actually answered the OP's query.

This forum is friendly and there is quite a bit of good info but one of my pet hates about the forum is how a lot of members fail to answer people's questions if it means it's outside their comfort (beige) zone. The speakers are fine, how could you possibly think you could buy better.....OMG you want to put 18" wheels on your car......why would you put xyz on your car,oem is so much better etc etc

I'm just putting it out there for all the negative nancy's to take a breath before posting, maybe put your slippers on and go make a cup of tea and you'll soon realise that good things come from making mistakes and even greater things come from trying something new.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi

Just looking to find a suitable speaker upgrade kit for my skoda yeti , id like to upgrade the lower door speaker and tweeters without butchering the door panels wiring. Ive looked online but so far havent found anything suitable...any suggestions ? 

How about going to a reputable car audio shop, they should know about the best options.

If you want to upgrade, investigate the Focal range of speakers. We put these in our mini (which had very poor standard speakers) and without any need for a new amp or head unit the sound was transformed for quality (within the limits of the available power from the original amp).

i contacted a supplier on ebay about the focal speakers but they wanted pics of the back of the current speakers before they would confirm the correct speakers, i havent had time to take the door panels off yet 

Thanks to the members that actually answered the OP's query.

This forum is friendly and there is quite a bit of good info but one of my pet hates about the forum is how a lot of members fail to answer people's questions if it means it's outside their comfort (beige) zone. The speakers are fine, how could you possibly think you could buy better.....OMG you want to put 18" wheels on your car......why would you put xyz on your car,oem is so much better etc etc

I'm just putting it out there for all the negative nancy's to take a breath before posting, maybe put your slippers on and go make a cup of tea and you'll soon realise that good things come from making mistakes and even greater things come from trying something new.

Well that makes sense - Yes mr or mrs OP. Go ahead. Replace your speakers.

You'll spend a load of cash and be disappointed that the sound is no better and probably worse than the excellent standard fit units - but you're now a few hundred quid worse off and nobody on the forum thought to advise you against wasting your money.

Yes that seems to be the way forward.

Perhaps you should think about what you are suggesting people respond with???

• Sad 1

You'll spend a load of cash and be disappointed that the sound is no better and probably worse than the excellent standard fit units - but you're now a few hundred quid worse off and nobody on the forum thought to advise you against wasting your money.

Mate, you respond with a crappy know it all attitude that quite frankly stinks. You offer no explanation on why you are such a wealth of knowledge on car speakers or why the Yeti has the best possible speakers supplied as OEM and cannot be bettered with any amount of $$.

The way forward involves one of two ways. You explaining some facts about the speakers and/or your knowledge/experience with audio or saying nothing and moving on.

And finally, yes I did think about my suggestion....quite awesome isn't it :rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Perhaps you could consider some speaker adapters like these:- http://www.audio-work.tw/en/products/?method=listing&sid=597

I can't see prices for them, but they're probably available elsewhere also. This should throw open a greater choice of replacement speakers without resorting to butchery.

Sounds like a nice experiment, and I'd be interested in how you get on.

Update:- These should do it - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-OCTAVIA-SUPERB-YETI-MDF-SPEAKER-ADAPTORS-RINGS-SPACERS-RINGE-/201621832379?hash=item2ef19902bb:g:-S4AAOSw7XZXhLom

Edited by PaveyArk

137699 - you have the 12 speaker upgrade, do you not ?

Assuming the OP doesn't have the 12 speaker upgrade, and you say the standard speakers are "quite frankly excellent", then why did you pay for the upgrade ?

137699 - you have the 12 speaker upgrade, do you not ?

Assuming the OP doesn't have the 12 speaker upgrade, and you say the standard speakers are "quite frankly excellent", then why did you pay for the upgrade ?

Correct I do have the 12 speaker setup. And if you read my previous posts you will see that i have compared the "upgrade" with the standard 8 speaker setup on multiple occasions having driven 3 or 4 yeti with the standard speakers. The difference is simply not worth the money. The extra speakers are just midrange speakers and they are not needed.

And again if you look through my previous posts I regularly advise against paying for the 12 speaker upgrade as it's not worth it.

• Like 1

I don't have the 12 speaker system either and as I said I don't have any complaints. Many others are also happy as mentioned in other threads.

I play music (rock, popular etc.) recorded onto and played from the SD card and it is very good/excellent.

Like 137699 I also thought that dieselyetis post was out of line and had an element of trolling in it but didn't comment as I expected more of the same, which surprise, surprise we got!

Once we were made aware (not mentioned in the opening post) that an existing speaker was damaged then the type of advice changed.

If I had a damaged speaker and the OEM cost was reasonable I'd certainly stick with the standard offering.

Jim100jam - you don't say what year your Yeti is, perhaps the speakers have been improved over time?

Edited by VAGCF

Although I think in isolation the Yeti's standard Audio is good the sound in our Octavia is crisper and has tighter Bass. 

Now the speakers may well be exactly the same and this maybe down to the speaker placement and the acoustics of the Yeti's shape.

The speakers used in the Yeti and Octavia are 6.5" components and any good car audio shop/installer should be able to advise you on spacers and connectors.

VW and Skoda are pretty good with Audio now, the systems in the Mk1 Octavia were rubbish.

BMW are still a joke, on our £25k 1 Series the standard system has four 4" mids and two 6" bass (under seat) powered off the head unit and it's dire. Pay a few hundred pound more and the four mids become 5 and the 6" bass units become 8" powered by a small Amp. This is good but really should be the minimum. You need to pay another few hundred pounds more to get the addition of tweeters and a bigger amp.

Lee

I've got the Bose upgrade with separate amp in the TT and it isn't noticeably different to that in the Yeti.

TT's acoustics not helped by the enclosed space and it being a roadster though.

I'd probably notice a difference at higher volume levels but I don't like it too loud when driving.

My criteria in the car is reasonable sound levels without distortion and good sound quality which the standard system in the Yeti does for me.

I think for what you get with the standard system it's more than good enough for a car.  Let's be honest the driver position and car internals hardly make for a HiFi experience.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1