Boot light

DensYeti

2010 Yeti 1.2 tsi.  Boot light not coming on.....have taken light out of trim and tested bulb which shows a resistance some resistance so should be ok......there is a component between bulb terminal and input terminal, terminals are a push fit into holder, which looks like a small resistor and there is no continuity across it (with meter terminals either way round).  Does anyone know what the component is?.........fusible link?

(I am retired electronics engineer) Going to be near Maplin shop tomorrow.

All the parts list shows is a W5W - 12v 5w bulb.
Has someone fitted an LED bulb and resistor, or perhaps the Superskoda LED light unit?
But that resistor should not be needed as I don't think interior lighting is on the bulb failure system.

Edit: is there power at the bulb holder terminals?

Edited by Urrell

All the parts list shows is a W5W - 12v 5w bulb.

Has someone fitted an LED bulb and resistor, or perhaps the Superskoda LED light unit?

But that resistor should not be needed as I don't think interior lighting is on the bulb failure system.

Edit: is there power at the bulb holder terminals?

The bulb is a filament one, not an LED.  Item that looks like a small resistor is 2mm diameter X 5mm long, black body with silver band on the end that pushes into bulb terminal. Unable to read what is printed on it.....will try and get it out of holder tomorrow to read.

2010 Yeti 1.2 tsi.  Boot light not coming on.....have taken light out of trim and tested bulb which shows a resistance some resistance so should be ok......there is a component between bulb terminal and input terminal, terminals are a push fit into holder, which looks like a small resistor and there is no continuity across it (with meter terminals either way round).  Does anyone know what the component is?.........fusible link?

(I am retired electronics engineer) Going to be near Maplin shop tomorrow.

It is a small diode - A device that allows power to flow in only one direction.

You will find that at one end is a coloured band (Usually white on a black diode). Power flows from the end furthest away from the band towards it. You will also find that it should have a sequence of letters & numbers. These denote the type and voltage as in "1N4001" a 1amp silicon rectifier diode. More than likely the one in situ in your Boot light. I believe it has a function connected to the Can-Bus for the time delay element in that circuit. Cost? a few pence.

Hope this helps............Tony

post-62225-0-66505800-1484001341_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I've got a similar problem but not the skills to track down the fault!

Might be linked to the rear boot catch. Does your Maxidot (if fitted) show the boot to be closed even if the boot is open?

Just a thought that I had to discount.

Mine did occasionally come on when I had all the interior trim removed (for fitting a tow bar), but hasn't been on before or since.

Service records show it to have been fixed under warranty (they replaced the bulb unit), butvibe dine the same and no joy.

Will be keen to see where this goes as it bl**dy dark up here at the moment!

No Maxidot on mine door warning light shows open when any one of 5 open and is out when all closed.

Further investigations. With digital meter.

Boot light unit unplugged and tested on bench with a 12V car battery.

+ve of battery to plug terminal connected to anode of diode and other plug terminal connected to batt -ve and light comes on; terminals reversed  and no light on (as expected because of diode).  Therefore light unit ok. 

Meter switched to DIODE and measuring across diode shows 790 one way and meter remains on 1 the other way. (i.e. forward voltage drop across diode 790 mV).

At socket in car red and blue wire, terminal 2, to earth (metal pin top of boot catch) shows 12V on meter. (boot open interior lights on).

Light unit plugged back in - no light.......-ve side of light unit connected to earth and light comes on. So problem appears to be negative (terminal 1) not connecting back to earth (via wizardry in interior light control unit??).

Still with boot open and lights on:-

Socket in car brown and blue wire, terminal 1, measuring resistance to earth (boot latch ) on 200 ohm scale (to try and check continuity to earth.......with meter red to socket and black to earth 28 ohms

........with meter black to socket and red to earth 26 ohms.    These different "continuity" readings checked a couple of times and same difference is shown.

Came back to car with all doors closed, key out of ignition, all interior lights off and boot light unplugged  - opened boot and I noticed it took a lot longer for interior lights to come on (so long I thought at first they were not going to come on).  If a door is opened lights come on strait away. (start dim and come up to full bright...going off they dim down to off).

It therefore looks as if there is a fault in the 'interior light' control circuit........I haven't a clue where that circuit lives or whether it can be got at easily or if it can be measured around to find any faulty component. 

Looks like I must invest in a bag of carrots or remember to always have a torch in pocket for using boot at night.

• Like 1

I haven't been able to find the schematics for the Yeti, but the following link is to the schematics for the Fabia interior lighting. It could well be totally different BUT the boot light does contain a diode. It looks from your diagnostic measurements - and if the wiring is similar on the Yeti - that the fault could simply be a a resistive boot open switch or it's earth connection?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/114422-how-to-retro-fit-coming-home-lights/page-2#entry1858921

Jim

• Like 1

......that the fault could simply be a a resistive boot open switch or it's earth connection?....

The wiring colours are different for Yeti, but that looks to be the problem in the boot switch.....no idea where the sw is?

I assume when boot closed so earth switch open then light is earthed for a while via a timer circuit on the other wire that goes to the control unit??

Edited by DensYeti

I assume when boot closed so earth switch open then light is earthed for a while via a timer circuit on the other wire that goes to the control unit??

I suspect that when the boot is open the switch earths the bulb so it lights, and the connection from the switch to the control unit is so that the system knows the boot is open and flags the 'boot open' message and disables the rear wiper etc.

Jim

my use of timer circuits in r/c boat models places timer on the supply side of any timed item, hence a simple earth worth a try with a pin thro the earth wire then wrapped with a wire to independant earth!

Looking at Fabia cct.  Boot closed = switch open = no earth for lamp to light even if power still applied via a timer? so lamp must still have a means of being connected to earth other than boot switch?.

That is the trouble with modern car electric cct diags.  They don't show all components and connections.  I am more used to large complex full diags that show all components where you can work out what does what where and how.

so lamp must still have a means of being connected to earth other than boot switch?.

I'm missing something here; are you saying that the boot light can be lit even when the boot is shut? - I can't say I've ever noticed on mine.

Jim

I am thinking of boot light as acting same as all other interior lights in that when door closed they do not go out strait away but stay on for some time then slowly dim to zero.  Perhaps not. Perhaps it acts differently and is either on or off according to the tailgate switch?

Can anyone with the basic 1.2 TSI S say what happens with their boot light..........(.mine has never worked since I have had it so don't know what is normal).

I know that when I get out and shut all doors the lights stay on for a while then dim to out - if I central lock with the key button they go out quicker.  

However looking at Fabia diag rear interior lights on as long as there is 12 V on 3 from fuse F4 and  switch to position 1 and light on, switch to position 2 and?......suspect Fabia too different to Yeti?

Dennis

Edited by DensYeti

does anyone on here have access to the Yeti circuit diag?

Anyone know where the tailgate switch is and how to get at it?

I am guessing switch is by the boot catch in tailgate which leads to how does the trim come off.  I don't want to break any flimsy plastic clips and add to the rattle already coming from the rear!

Dennis

OK - I've had a look at mine;

I can confirm (pre F/L elegance) that the boot light is only on when the boot is unlatched, and it switches straight on and off (no fading) when boot is opened and closed.

The switch is in the latch mechanism because when the boot is open I can rapidly switch the light off and on by operating a spring loaded lever on the catch in the tailgate.

HTH

Jim

Muddyjim

You are not wrong, but......Try leaving the tailgate open. The light will eventually dim and go off. You will notice that the interior lights do exactly the same, and at the same time..............it is timed. Quite possible via the Cam-Bus somehow.....Tony

Yes I agree that does happen - but I imagine that feature is simply performed by the timer slowly turning off the +12v supply to the 'live' side of all the lights (as shown by relay in item #10 at the top of the fabia circuit diagram)

Jim

Edited by muddyjim

^ Ah ok, must be another thread, I have a memory the prob is mechanical, maybe a micro switch in the closing mech, perhaps a squirt of penetrating oil or switch cleaner may work, who knows!!

Correct. I have not found a solution and when it got into taking readings with a meter (way beyond my comprehension) I gave up and accepted it.

However, if a solution appears on here, I'll certainly be trying it as it's rather dark in Scotland during the winter!