Rear De-Mist Switch

• Administrators

The front comes away and you can change the bulb, but as long as it still works I wouldn't worry to much about it. As it's pushed in you can tell if it's on.

I had a similar issue with strange behaviour of the light on the demist button on a Golf but before I got to the bottom of it I had a few other power issues and ended up inspecting the brushes on the alternator and the commutator was worn really bad. Once a new alternator was fitted the problem went away.

At the time I thought it could have possibly been the heated window loading up the alternator too much for its poor output and warning me by not powering the light, although everything did still work fine but It may have also just been a coincidence.

Just food for thought I suppose. If I was you I would check the alternator output and maybe give the battery a good charge and see if it helps

Edited by SuperbTWM

As SuperbTWM suggested, do your Voltage checks on the alternator and battery to rule out the obvious stuff, failing that, you will have to pop the switch, and gently move the loom while it is switched on to check for broken wires at the connector block.

I suppose if the units were used, the possibility exists that you may have a freak load of defective units  possibly why they were put up for sale, but it does seem less likely.

Here's the circuit diagram

76DD36DD-323E-4E98-AD3C-AA0DC7CEFDBD_zps

As you can see the ON light (K10) is completely internal switched, if there is power going to the HRW & Mirrors, the ON (K10) bulb should light 

So battery Volts - 12.10V , with Engine Running - no load - 13.95V , Nav, Lights, rear demist on - 13.5V.

I read somewhere alternator op should be 14.2V to 14.7V ? and battery should be 12.6V ?

• 2 weeks later...

I've no idea why you're considering changing the alternator because one small LED light is only coming on when you tap it. You said it's only since you fitted the sat navigation in, which heavily hints at a wire being disturbed upon the fitting of that.

So battery Volts - 12.10V , with Engine Running - no load - 13.95V , Nav, Lights, rear demist on - 13.5V.

I read somewhere alternator op should be 14.2V to 14.7V ? and battery should be 12.6V ?

I said earlier on that you can rule out a power issue straight away by connecting another running car via jump leads to get the voltage up. Have you tried this?

That's a pic of it working now. Another new switch and it's good. Won't be changing the alternator , earth cable has signs of overheating at the fuse box so I will change those when I get them.

Cheers for all the help.