First Post & Initial Questions

cretin

Hi To Everyone Here.

Well, I'm in the position of looking at buying my first ever new car, and of course the initial question for me was 'well, which one ?' I knew as a single, disabled guy (and his crazy hound), that a small hatchback would be exactly what I need - so that's where the research begun about two months ago. I've been reading the Briskoda forums as a guest - especially over the holidays just gone, (for something to do !!) and found this forum in particular of huge interest.

Many questions were answered without ever having to ask, whilst numerous others have arisen, and with time I can get to ask. I am not going to overload my first post with them, or else it will end up more manuscript than post - and I already have a known penchant for waffling endlessly. So I promise to try and do things in bite-sized chunks :happy:

Other than my introduction..I do want to address the one MAJOR question of 'which car' to choose (I am opting for an automatic due to comfort connected to back pain no matter what car I buy). Presently I'm about 60/40 in favour of Fabia over a Fiesta. The negative points about the latter are

1. That Powershift system. From all I've read, it's simply not up to the spec of the DSG box. Yes there are always some who disagree, but as a whole opinions seem to easily favour the DSG

2. Resale value. Typically Fords will depreciate significantly more from new (especially checking that 3 year benchmark figure they use) probably because there are just so many of them out there if nothing else.

3. The Fiesta has more of that snazzy look (also catering on the high end ST range for the petrolheads and/or boy racers) - whereas Skoda seems to favour practicality over dazzling appearances. That said, the latest generation Fabias I personally think look very good. I'm 48, not into sporty cars - and for me the 1.2 SE DSG would tick all the boxes. The only Fiesta 'competitor' I've dithered over is the 1 litre Ecoboost Titanium, or Titanium X - but again comes with that poorly rated Powershift.

I'm awaiting the proceeds of a house sale in London at the moment - so time is still on my side - plus once I have the funds, my first priority will be to pay for a gated driveway and also a dropped curve which I've had approval for already by the council. No way would I buy a new car and park it on the street overnight. I'd not sleep worrying about it probably !!

In light of the above points, it 'should' make the Fabia a no-brainer. However, a few concerns I was unaware of previously..but have come to read about on these forums primarily, are giving me pause to consider. Perhaps they are only occasional glitches, which I am hoping is the case. I guess the main ones are as follows

1. Some reports of judder in the DSG box - particularly in 1st gear.

2. Some concerns I have read over the efficiency of the air-con and it's ability to heat the car to a warm temperature when needed - along with a couple of other electrical minor but annoying niggles.

3. Some bits I have read about seals and water leaking into the cabin of cars which are still pretty new.

I have not driven in 20 years, and so it's going to be a whole new adventure (?) for me, to once again own a car, and be able to enjoy the freedom it brings. I'm not one of those nervous types who feels a need to have refresher lessons, as my work meant that I spent all my days driving (before health scuppered my career.) I realise some feel tentative after long breaks - I'm not one of them though.

Initially I was set on the SE L version - until I read about road noise on 16 inch and larger wheels. So my thinking at the moment is to go for the SE, and then include almost every additional extra (minus sunroof and towbar - not for me or required), which will bring it up virtually to the same spec as an SE L - but crucially retaining the smaller 15" alloys. With my supremely damaged spine, road noise and bumps are to be minimised as much as humanly possible.

If anyone has any thoughts about my favoured car of choice - or the concerns I mentioned - I would be really grateful to hear your thoughts. And the last question that I will ask in this opening post, is regarding best way to 'own' my new car. I mean with the cash to buy outright vs a PCP plan. I have just begun to learn of PCP car finance, and not sure if it's a more sensible route than paying outright for a car. It probably sounds like a stupid question, but if you don't know..? Well ask :o

I promise not to write such long posts in the future, and I know this one was all over the place - I 'blame' it on newbie nerves...or Brexit..well anything which deflects blame away from me will do...!!

So Hi Once Again & A Belated Happy New Year To All.

Best Wishes

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry just a quick reply as on a phone and broken reception.

I have one foot and only drive automatics.

A DSG is great, 

but Powershift Boxes in Ford's are pretty damn good these days and i have driven ones recently and like them lots.

Even if not using Motability a Skoda Dealership or a Ford Dealership can arrange test drives & any assistance needed.

(there are setting that the car can have, Steering & Brake assist etc)

Ford UK have a great set up for this so just check the websites and contact Ford and see what is available.

Registered Disabled not getting DLA HR Mobility component / PIP used to still get discounts, no idea on the current situation.

all the best.

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry just a quick reply as on a phone and broken reception.

I have one foot and only drive automatics.

A DSG is great, 

but Powershift Boxes in Ford's are pretty damn good these days and i have driven ones recently and like them lots.

Even if not using Motability a Skoda Dealership or a Ford Dealership can arrange test drives & any assistance needed.

(there are setting that the car can have, Steering & Brake assist etc)

Ford UK have a great set up for this so just check the websites and contact Ford and see what is available.

Registered Disabled not getting DLA HR Mobility component / PIP used to still get discounts, no idea on the current situation.

all the best.

Hi !!

Thanks for the reply here, much appreciated.

That's interesting to note that the Powershift units have improved these days. For all the Google searches on earth, trying to get a definitive view on that - without actually asking here - has proven more difficult than I would have thought. I know the next gen Fiesta is out in the Summer coming, but as far as I'm aware still with the same Powershift unit. It's good to know you rate the DSG as great as well - that definitely is a major plus for when decision time comes.

Re. DLA..I'm on the lower component of it, so not automatically entitled to it. If I'm honest, I won't press for any possible entitlement I could 'argue'...Financially, this property sale will secure me for life, and I'd feel a bit..I dunno..of a greedy leech trying to use the scheme when I can afford to buy the car I want easily. Plus there's hoops to jump through, and limiting factors on what you get - plus the paperwork. But mostly it's the bit about being someone who is so lucky to shortly have a secure financial future that puts me off. I didn't realise mind you that anyone on the lower rates could potentially apply for some degree of discount.

I quite like the notion btw of Carwow..and how you can literally have them get the discount for you, and even deliver the car to you. Have read many, many glowing reviews about this method of purchasing - so something I'll be considering for definite. There's also an expanding scheme here with Skoda itself I believe :

https://cars.briskoda.net/

Not sure which route would be better once I buy, but certainly if I can cut out the whole haggling part and reduce or even eliminate the need to have to go the showroom at all..? Then that would work well for me. I know it will be a few months away yet, but this is why I've registered now..to learn, ask questions and be as best informed as possible when ready to buy.

I can't offer you much help as regards to which vehicle to choose  B)  But welcome to Briskoda  :thumbup:  & I hope you find the correct vehicle to suit your needs.

Many Thanks for that. It's good to be here. I've enjoyed reading this forum for a while now - so nice to be a part of it now :-)

If Ford put a Powershift in a Fiesta ST i would order one today.

I need a hot hatch to better my Fabia Mk2 vRS & that is not a Polo GTI or a Mini Cooper S.

The Focus Estate ST Diesel Powershift is a hoot but i do not like the Focus seating etc.

If Ford put a Powershift in a Fiesta ST i would order one today.

I need a hot hatch to better my Fabia Mk2 vRS & that is not a Polo GTI or a Mini Cooper S.

The Focus Estate ST Diesel Powershift is a hoot but i do not like the Focus seating etc.

Funny enough, I picked up on that whilst on the Ford site a few weeks ago looking at the car configurator. With 3 different ST models I thought 'bound to be one which has Powershift' as an option. But as you say, not on the menu. The whole summer revamp is much talked about, with many articles and pics online..though haven't heard of any changes in this regard. Does seem a missed trick on their part I have to say.

Edited by cretin

I wonder if getting an SEL (which would include the extras you require) and then getting 15 inch wheels/tyres might be a better option than an SE and adding on all the extras? You would always have an SEL to sell on if you had to whereas optional extras tend to add virtually nothing to re-sale values. I haven't done the sums but that might be something to think about. You are likely to find a buyer for the 16 inch wheels/tyres to offset some of the purchase costs. You never know, the dealer might even do the swap for at no cost or little cost (particularly if it was deal breaker). Or someone here might be willing to swap.

I wonder if getting an SEL (which would include the extras you require) and then getting 15 inch wheels/tyres might be a better option than an SE and adding on all the extras? You would always have an SEL to sell on if you had to whereas optional extras tend to add virtually nothing to re-sale values. I haven't done the sums but that might be something to think about. You are likely to find a buyer for the 16 inch wheels/tyres to offset some of the purchase costs. You never know, the dealer might even do the swap for at no cost or little cost (particularly if it was deal breaker). Or someone here might be willing to swap.

Thanks George. I had a quick look at the configurator and that obviously doesn't give you the option to select the 15" wheels. But interesting idea - ask at the time *IF* they would be willing to supply the SE L with them (I'd happily pay the same price exchanging them - or even a small fee if needed for such a replacement onto the SE L) As for the sums, going through the configurator I recall (I'm 90% sure) that it was actually marginally more expensive to buy and kit out the SE, than to buy the SE L and add the much fewer options available due to it's spec.

PS

If i was paying my money to buy a Keeper from the VW Group it would probably be a SEAT Leon Hatch or Estate 1.8TSI DSG with Multilink rear suspension.

Bought as an Ex Demonstrator with near no miles and a huge discount over new.

Comfortable, handles, space and good performance.

Worth a test drive.

If i wanted the worst Auto or actually Automated Manual gearbox in any vehicle offered for sale in the past 5 years it would be a Up!MiiCitigo ASG.

That is just sad.

PPS.

MK3 Fabia Facelifts coming out sometimes and hopefully snagging faults are rectified and a 1.0TSI engine with DSG would be good,

a 1.5TSI would be even better.

Edited by Offski

cretin, the only other point I would make is that Fiesta's do have a harsher ride than the Fabia's with 15" wheels. My wife and I have had 4 Fiesta's and can confirm this to be the case.There are several comparison tests on line comparing the two cars. Ride comfort on the Fabia is regarded as much better, as long as you have the 15" wheels, but the Fabia, even with the 16" wheels rides better than the Fiesta.

Here's a comparison for you to look at:  

Of course, any new Fiesta is an unknown quantity. I personally would steer clear of buying any new model Ford until it's been out for 18 months or more. Ford tend to use the public as guinea pigs rather than do a proper development and testing job themselves. Don't ask me how I know! They do this across the board with cars and vans, both of which my wife and I have bought loads of and been caught with loads of trouble over the years. Never again. Look at the turbo charger debacle on the last 1 litre eco boost engines, and the cylinder head and valve problems. Ride comfort on any new car they produce will be a very unknown factor until you can try one, but Ford always has produced cars that ride very firmly over bumps. 

Apologies for the delay in returning to my own post. Been racing to keep up with things here. I wanted to thank you all for the replies, and they are definitely helping to make up my mind in relation to which car I choose, along with how to configure it and what to ask when placing my order.

PS

If i was paying my money to buy a Keeper from the VW Group it would probably be a SEAT Leon Hatch or Estate 1.8TSI DSG with Multilink rear suspension.

Bought as an Ex Demonstrator with near no miles and a huge discount over new.

Comfortable, handles, space and good performance.

Worth a test drive.

If i wanted the worst Auto or actually Automated Manual gearbox in any vehicle offered for sale in the past 5 years it would be a Up!MiiCitigo ASG.

That is just sad.

PPS.

MK3 Fabia Facelifts coming out sometimes and hopefully snagging faults are rectified and a 1.0TSI engine with DSG would be good,

a 1.5TSI would be even better.

Thanks Offski. Over the past few months before joining here, the Seat Leon did come into the last few that I would ultimately have picked. The only thing that took off my list - wasn't a criticism..it was just what individually 'appeals' I guess is the word in terms of looks. I'm not generally over fussy in this regard, but for some reason just couldn't take to the look of the Leon, and lame as a reason it may sound - was the only one which meant I cut it from my possible choices. You've got an immense passion for all things 'car' related, so please believe I appreciated the suggestion. Thank You :-)

If road noise is a problem to you (it is with me) - if you order a new Fabia, make sure it does NOT have Bridgestone Turanza ER300 tyres.

That is definitely now on my list of things to check when I am ready to order. Excellent tip. I don't know if there a set standard tyre upon ordering, or if it varies from dealership to dealership - but I will certainly be asking about the make of tyres, and requesting that ER300s are *NOT* for me. If you have a tyre of choice re. comfort, I would love to know, and so ask for that (again a bit of extra expense if need be..is worth it to me). Thanks to you also for this.

cretin, the only other point I would make is that Fiesta's do have a harsher ride than the Fabia's with 15" wheels. My wife and I have had 4 Fiesta's and can confirm this to be the case.There are several comparison tests on line comparing the two cars. Ride comfort on the Fabia is regarded as much better, as long as you have the 15" wheels, but the Fabia, even with the 16" wheels rides better than the Fiesta.

Here's a comparison for you to look at:  

Of course, any new Fiesta is an unknown quantity. I personally would steer clear of buying any new model Ford until it's been out for 18 months or more. Ford tend to use the public as guinea pigs rather than do a proper development and testing job themselves. Don't ask me how I know! They do this across the board with cars and vans, both of which my wife and I have bought loads of and been caught with loads of trouble over the years. Never again. Look at the turbo charger debacle on the last 1 litre eco boost engines, and the cylinder head and valve problems. Ride comfort on any new car they produce will be a very unknown factor until you can try one, but Ford always has produced cars that ride very firmly over bumps. 

Hi Estate Man. Thanks for this. Your post has tipped the scales for me now regarding which of the two cars to go for. In terms of the Fiesta, I had indeed been of a mind to wait until the summer release - if going for one. The thought of being a part of a the 'guinea pig group' for my first ever new car ? No that idea does not sit well with me. I appreciate someone has to do it..I just don't want to be the one to take that risk. It was not something I had even stopped to think about - hence very grateful for that. And I promise not to ask how you know  :happy:

One of the negative points about the existing Fiesta - for me - is that awful array of Nokia like buttons spread across the dash. I know that's due to be more than halved, and completely updated in the next gen model..BUT..not nearly good enough a reason to choose it in light of the above and what you told me here.

And then onto the ride comfort you mention. From the sound of it, I may well find the Fabia SE L with it's standard 16" wheels plenty comfortable, without needing to downsize to the 15" This will be something to bear in mind when I finally go for a test drive. I've also considered renting a Fabia auto (I've located a firm here in Nottingham that have them on their fleet to book) and maybe rent one for 3 - 5 days when I know I've got plenty of time on my hands to get out there and do some driving in all different kinds of environments. That's a back burner idea for now - as still a fair while before I can proceed to purchasing my new car.

So. I think the Fiesta has slipped out of contention, and I'll be focusing my research exclusively to the Fabia - which I did kind of prefer from the start to begin with !! Again my thanks for this, and the video link. It was interesting to see how ultimately in that review, the Fabia pipped the Fiesta at the post..something I've seen in several other videos and articles comparing the two.

Many Thanks to you for this useful information.

To add a few more nails into the Fiesta coffin, I also looked at it prior to buying the Fabia, the rearward vision through the car is appalling, what looks like a reasonable size rear window is tiny from the inside and the way the bodywork curves in means that the boot space is not very practical either.

Another point in favour of 15" over 16" is the weight - a 15" wheel and tyre is lighter than a 16" wheel and tyre. I'm not a 7 stoner weakling, but the 16" wheels on my Touran are approaching the limit of what I cansafely lift, carry and fit, the Fabia'a 15" wheels are much easy to handle. VAG wheels use bolts rather than nuts - which means the wheel has to be lifted and held in palce while trying to fit the first retaining bolt, much harder than with hubs with fixed studs and wheel nuts!

Assuming you get a spare wheel or opt for one.

You can buy a very handy helper,  you screw it in like a bolt and lift the wheel onto that, then put in bolts, and remove the helper.

Have you looked at a Skoda Yeti to see what is on offer now, or will be as run out models?

Easy in and out and a very good model before Skoda go and spoil it.

PS

When i weigh a Skoda / VW Steel Spare wheel with 15" tyre they virtually are the same weight as a 17" alloy and tyre.

Edited by Offski

As ever, the best bet is to test drive the different cars and see how you like them. I do agree with the visibility from the Fiestas- and if you have spine/back problems, then that's a major drawback if you can't move around so much to see out safely. The Fabia also has standard rear parking sensors, which help too if it's hard to look back over your shoulder when parking.

It's £500 more to spec up an SE to SEL (apart from the bigger wheels), so the SEL spec represents a fair bit of a saving. If the larger wheels don't suit, I'm sure you'd be able to find a dealer happy to swap them for the wheels on an SE. 

Again, my apologies for the time delay in replying. I assure you it's not indifference..rather juggling the real world single-handedly, as events here outpace my limited noodle's ability to keep up. A hectic time without doubt.

To add a few more nails into the Fiesta coffin, I also looked at it prior to buying the Fabia, the rearward vision through the car is appalling, what looks like a reasonable size rear window is tiny from the inside and the way the bodywork curves in means that the boot space is not very practical either.

Another point in favour of 15" over 16" is the weight - a 15" wheel and tyre is lighter than a 16" wheel and tyre. I'm not a 7 stoner weakling, but the 16" wheels on my Touran are approaching the limit of what I cansafely lift, carry and fit, the Fabia'a 15" wheels are much easy to handle. VAG wheels use bolts rather than nuts - which means the wheel has to be lifted and held in palce while trying to fit the first retaining bolt, much harder than with hubs with fixed studs and wheel nuts!

Thanks for this thamestrader. As you said a 'few more nails.' Very big nails indeed. The ability to have maximum view with a dodgy back, ranks very high for me. I had started to get the idea from so many vids I watched online, that this was indeed one area kind of glossed over, or not really addressed. So I did have my doubts on this score - which you have confirmed with this. The Fiesta 'might' be fine for me 25 years ago, but today ? It's all about simplicity, safety and unobtrusive convenience. I really have no major reasons to consider any other car (for me and my personal needs/tastes) than the Fabia. Thanks for this.

Re. The wheels issue. I have been somewhat reassured by earlier posts that the 16" on the SE L still make for a markedly more comfortable ride than that which can be offered by any Fiesta. Perhaps I should just test drive the SE L 'as is' so to speak, with the 16" wheels, and see what I make of it, before committing myself to a decision re. downsizing.

Much appreciated for this.

Assuming you get a spare wheel or opt for one.

You can buy a very handy helper,  you screw it in like a bolt and lift the wheel onto that, then put in bolts, and remove the helper.

Have you looked at a Skoda Yeti to see what is on offer now, or will be as run out models?

Easy in and out and a very good model before Skoda go and spoil it.

PS

When i weigh a Skoda / VW Steel Spare wheel with 15" tyre they virtually are the same weight as a 17" alloy and tyre.

Hi again Offski :-)

I did look at the Yeti...after you suggested it here. Looks like a very nice car, but ultimately not quite the one for me. The reasons for this are two fold. I'm a single man, and mad mutt as a non-optional but highly delightful extra - and it's somewhat larger than I truely would ever need. The second reason is, I used the configurator as ever. To spec it up to my satisfaction (God, that sounds poncey..!!) would add on several K to the final price. Because this inheritance is set to last me for life, I sort of set the benchmark 'to pay' figure at up to a max of 22k

Maybe a third reason as well. After returning to driving after more than 20 years, a hatchback will be me resuming where I left off..and so more likely to quickly and safely adapt to. If I had family of any kind, then the Yeti could well have had me stopping to truely consider it. Please don't think your suggestions are not useful..quite the opposite - everything suggested keeps my head in the game, and I really want to be sure that I make the right choices when the time comes - so again, my thanks to you !!.

As ever, the best bet is to test drive the different cars and see how you like them. I do agree with the visibility from the Fiestas- and if you have spine/back problems, then that's a major drawback if you can't move around so much to see out safely. The Fabia also has standard rear parking sensors, which help too if it's hard to look back over your shoulder when parking.

It's £500 more to spec up an SE to SEL (apart from the bigger wheels), so the SEL spec represents a fair bit of a saving. If the larger wheels don't suit, I'm sure you'd be able to find a dealer happy to swap them for the wheels on an SE. 

Hey vc-10 :-)

I think this definitely goes back towards me thinking now (again courtesy of yourself and previous posters) to thinking that the SE L is in fact the option to go for, and at this time is now pretty much the model I will be seeking to buy.

I did actually have an email 'chat' with Paul from Horton Skoda, Lincoln - and was immensely impressed with both his feedback on carwow, but also his communication with me when I made some preliminary enquiries last month. Extra bonus, is that he is almost one of the closest dealers to me. Still thinking that this method, with a car delivered to your home (surreal that this method of buying a car now exists !) is an excellent way to buy a new car for those who would struggle to otherwise travel any significant distance, and back at considerable expense. For me ? That would mean taxis, and probably close to £100 for a round trip - just for one visit.

So a big thank you for this as well :-)

Back to timeline. Sorry, slightly off-topic..I did mention my penchant to waffle if not tied to a crucifix and doused with holy water regularly :angel:

Well there is now an offer on the table for the family home, with a couple who have 200k to put down up front. That's some major deposit, and they even wanted the place taken off the market on the strength of this. Not quite how it works apparently - I've got the Co-Op probate services dealing with all this which is just way, way above my mental paygrade. So not quite a 'done deal'..but from what I'm hearing they have the means most certainly, and very adamant it's the place for them.

So however long it takes from now, to draw up contracts and complete whatever legal necessities required ? Not totally sure..but hopefully heading towards the final furlong. It's an emotive sale..hugely so..and just want it behind me, and let the past rest in peace after so much tragedy.

My Mum's wish ? Was for me to live my life. A hermit's life of exile, and reclusiveness is *NOT* the person I once was. So I do hope - and want - to use this opportunity to kick start my life, get out of this house and show Jake (my loveable Staffie Cross loon) that the world actually has more than 3 streets..and endless fields for him to explore !! First step, will be that gated driveway installed, then the dropped kerb - already had the green light and approx figures for this - and ready to go.

Another time, I'll have to tell you of my craziest ever motor. A custom project Oselli Power Montego, that spanned 4 episodes of Fast Car late 91/early 92. The editor went on to sell it in his own magazine - and I was the prize wally who bought it. AWESOME...But a financial investment..? Perhaps not so much :-)) Anyways...I'll be banned if I don't shut up...patience is a virtue, and suddenly I guess I'll find myself about to receive my new car before I know it !!

Can't wait :sun:

Hope everyone is well, and had a top weekend...:-)

Edited by cretin

Have you checked out 

http://broadspeed.com

The sort of price you can pay rather than what Dealers say they would like to get from you.

Plenty of models will be Run Out Models as Facelifts and replacements are being launched, maybe even with the Fabia.