1.4TSI SE L Estate on the way

Feels like I've joined a new club. This will be my first non-Fabia car ever and my first factory new car purchase.

I'm a long term Briskoda member, mosly lurking not posting, but very much a freedom member as this is the best Skoda resource on the planet.

I've bagged a tiny lead time of three weeks for delivery which is pretty cool, and a cracking deal :D ....

anything I need to watch out for? any pointers welcome as my first ever factory new car!!

Martin

• Like 1

Was there much available as they must be about to switch to the facelift model soon.

Wasnt the SE sport better value?

not sure on the SE Sport. I wanted other gismos, which were standard on SE L, the sport had retina burning lights as a fitted option (a ~£1.2k option on other levels excl VRS) which i'm not fussed about.

In terms of availability, not many SE Ls in stock, I got lucky as wasn't too fussed over the colour of the vehicle, and the only extra I had was a spare wheel.

Nice spec. the SE L

If you didn't get the spare wheel look out for some loud rear end rumbles, the horse'n'cart Springs ain't great but an empty wheel well acts like a drum

good shout - I got a spare wheel :-)... do you think I would need a bigger tyre lever, or is the kit OK for roadside changes?

good shout - I got a spare wheel :-)... do you think I would need a bigger tyre lever, or is the kit OK for roadside changes?

I always carry a telescopic wheel bolt removal tool. The piece of bent tin in most cars can let you down some times.

And a little square of wood to go under the jack doesn't go amiss either.

And gloves.

And rags.

And soap.

And water.

The underfloor space is cavernous :-)

• Like 1

It's a great car. I have the same with added auto parking.

The most pleasant surprise is the entertainment system. The Bluetooth phone connectivity is brilliant.

I also really like the alcantara. If I win the lottery and order my porsche then I'm definitely going for it in preference to leather

I recommend boot nets too

Edited by ms10

I always carry a telescopic wheel bolt removal tool. The piece of bent tin in most cars can let you down some times.

And a little square of wood to go under the jack doesn't go amiss either.

And gloves.

And rags.

And soap.

And water.

The underfloor space is cavernous :-)

Thanks, any particular removal tool or are they all the same? I've been stuck once before when the locking wheel nut was totally impossible to get off, fortunately on my drive rather than on roadside.

It's a great car. I have the same with added auto parking.

The most pleasant surprise is the entertainment system. The Bluetooth phone connectivity is brilliant.

I also really like the alcantara. If I win the lottery and order my porsche then I'm definitely going for it in preference to leather

I recommend boot nets too

I'm looking forward to being able to hook my phone up properly, and yes it does surprise me that it is standard

I haven't got them as part of the order (nets), I assume dealer can order them in if I think they will be needed. The boot will be for our Labrador plus a few things most of the time.

Remember you have 3 years Skoda assistance breakdown cover if you had a really difficult wheel bolt again.

Watch the dealer prices for accessories, can be quite high e.g. 4x genuine Skoda floor mats are about £25 on Ebay or Superskoda.com. front mudflaps about £20 and only 4 screws to fit them.

If it has the variable boot floor - think it will have - the Skoda nets won't work properly as the fixing points aren't all accessible.

That's not the case. The anchor points are accessible regardless of the floor position. However, they work best in the raised position

Thanks, any particular removal tool or are they all the same? I've been stuck once before when the locking wheel nut was totally impossible to get off, fortunately on my drive rather than on roadside.

I carry a torque wrench - longer than the VAG supplied 'tool' and means I get the wheel bolts done back up to the correct torque.  Another useful extra to carry is a 12v light (I've got a florescence tube), as  that makes any wheel changing much easier in the dark.  Never had to use it, but always handy!  Also have a towrope, solid tow beam, jump leads, gloves, etc.

• Like 1

Or apply standard supplied spanner to wheel nuts and stand on end and bounce lightly until it gives and you land gracefully in partial arabesque.

Observers may not view it in the same way :)

Professional places with air tools always seem to tighten the nuts above recommendations

• Like 1

As soon as you can remove the back wheels and lightly grease the sides of the centre spigot and the centre hole on the wheel. Also place a very light smear of grease on the wheel face where it contacts the hub. If you don't do this a wheel will eventually rust on to the brake hub and it will be extremely difficult to get off requiring brute force (been there, done that!) This doesn't seem to be a problem with the front wheels. When removing a wheel slacken the wheel bolts a few turns and check the wheel is loose on the spigot before removing the bolts completely.

BTW don't get grease on any part of the wheel bolts as they rely on a certain amount of friction to grip the wheel.

You might also consider getting one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALLOY-WHEEL-FITTING-ALIGNMENT-VOLKSWAGEN/dp/B00R7KS2HO - It makes getting a heavy wheel back on to the hub much easier.

• Like 2

Medium length breaker bar with a proper 17mm socket is my suggestion to add, the standard kit is not really that great. Make sure that you "tap home" the locking wheel adapter to ensure you don't damage either it or the wheel bolt. Also suggest that you try loosening all the wheel bolts, then re-torque them to the correct figure so that you will be able to get them off when needed. +1 on sparingly greasing the hub centre - my front wheels needed serious kicking to get loose from the hubs after less than 4000 miles use.  

+1 on sparingly greasing the hub centre - my front wheels needed serious kicking to get loose from the hubs after less than 4000 miles use.  

Copper grease is the best thing to use rather than "normal" grease.

I find it best to use a rubber headed mallet/hammer to loosen a stubborn wheel.

• Like 1

You might also consider getting one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALLOY-WHEEL-FITTING-ALIGNMENT-VOLKSWAGEN/dp/B00R7KS2HO - It makes getting a heavy wheel back on to the hub much easier.

I like these too. Cheaper from the same seller on eBay though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOY-WHEEL-NUT-BOLT-M14-x-1-5-FITTING-ALIGNMENT-TOOL-FOR-VW-AUDI-SEAT-Silver-/161250155864

Copper grease is the best thing to use rather than "normal" grease.

I find it best to use a rubber headed mallet/hammer to loosen a stubborn wheel.

It might seem counter intuitive but if you jack the wheel up, loosen the bolts a few times and bash the bottom of the tyre (not the wheel!) inwards, use a piece of wood against the tyre and a heavy hammer - make sure the jack is secure. It's probably obvious but, whatever you do, don't try and remove the wheel by lying under the car and bashing the tyre outwards; also, don't ever remove the bolts until the wheel is loose.

An AA man once told me that, if everything else fails, loosen all the bolts and drive the car up and down a kerb so that the shock dislodges the wheel but I've never tried it.

In extreme cases it might be necessary to heat the wheel centre but imagine the damage that will do especially to an alloy wheel, hub, brake parts etc.

Far better to grease the hubs when the car is new!

I wouldn't bash the wheel whilst the car is jacked up. You might knock it off the jack

The best way to free a seized on wheel is....loosen the bolts a few turns and rock the car or drive it a few feet as your AA man said.

Ok...

Telescopic bolt remover http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-19-21-23mm-Extendable-Wheel-Telescopic-Car-Van-Brace-Socket-Tyre-Nut-Wrench-/221749970829

Wheel positioning bolt http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161250155864

Torque wrench http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222277141012

Copper grease

Rubber mallet

tow rope

Jump leads

Illumination

Gloves

I shall consult with the budget holder.

Thanks for the suggestions, it is important to be prepared!

Ok...

Telescopic bolt remover http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-19-21-23mm-Extendable-Wheel-Telescopic-Car-Van-Brace-Socket-Tyre-Nut-Wrench-/221749970829

Wheel positioning bolt http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161250155864

Torque wrench http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222277141012

Copper grease

Rubber mallet

tow rope

Jump leads

Illumination

Gloves

I shall consult with the budget holder.

Thanks for the suggestions, it is important to be prepared!

You'll need a roofbox too, cos your boot will be full with all that lot :p :D

• Like 2