1.2 tsi 110 fuel economy

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what real world fuel economy people are getting from 1.2tsi 110's? I'm only getting high 40's / low 50's with mixed driving. Haven't had my first service though or an oil change yet though. 

Thanks

Ben

Mainly mid to low 40s for me, with mostly town work and a bit of dual carriageways.

A couple of months ago as a (non scientific!) experiment I made one 80 mile journey trying to drive as economically as possible, mostly free flowing motorway and dual carriageway, sticking to around 60mph and a big stretch at 50mph with variable speed cameras plus a bit of slipstreaming lorries, got to my destination with 65mpg showing on the computer. But not tried that again since, too tedious.

Edited by chieflordy
  • Like 2

Low 50s. It's a few mpg less efficient than the Citigo was (on average). It can be driven very frugally as chieflordy points out, but if you need the power (and it's awfully tempting --- REHEAT!) you've got to burn more fuel.

Edited by ettlz
  • Like 1

Mine has averaged 41mpg over its 11000 mile life so far. That is mostly town/urban with some motorway fast dual carriageway work...and it does get used - cruise tends to be an indicated 75+, so still legal in real world, and whilst Grand Prix starts are things of the past, (I grew up), roundabouts are particularly joyful; much to the chagrin of more than a few BMW drivers who seem to discount the little Fabia in the left lane, until it beggars off pdq. The DSG is a thing of beauty and I seldom feel the need to use either "Sport" or "Manual" for swapping cogs. Presumably it has learn't my driving style as, in 'D', it will happily hold onto gears almost to redline if asked.

I'm happy with the economy as a balance to fun.

Reheat - put the DSG box into 'S' and press the loud pedal to the floor------ it will change up on the redline and goes into S5 at an indicated 70mph, I'm not prepared to risk my licence to find out at what speed 6th and 7th are selected!

I tend to drive it for the enjoyment  ;>)

Actually to be fair when its owner drives it she gets about 38-40, when I drive it 32-36 mpg, but both of us only drive it on short 3-5 mile journeys in MK, so lots of sprints between roundabouts.....When I did do a couple of  long runs 55mpg was easily obtained at motorway speeds.

I'm getting an average of 45 mpg in my TSI 90, with the 5-speed manual. I'm pretty happy with that. Lots of high speed motorways and low-speed city driving. Got 56 mpg the other day driving into work... but that was at lunchtime, when the roads were clear and I barely stopped! Plus the engine was already kind of warm. I get about 50 mpg on a good long motorway run, with the speed limiter at 80. 

Incidentally- reheat and afterburner are two terms for the same thing- dumping fuel into the exhaust of the engine, basically re-igniting the exhaust and providing more thrust. But fuel economy drops through the floor, which is why Concorde was so expensive! It used as much fuel to cross the Atlantic as a 747 does, while carrying 1/4 of the passengers.

TSI 110ps with 7 speed DSG. Two 5 miles journey's from cold each day on mix of urban roads and a short section of dual carriageway. Averages 44mph. But as soon as we take the car on a run it climbs to anywhere between 52 and 57mpg on a regular basis. I do stick to the speed limits though but enjoy a quick squirt of two along the way!

Octavia 110, I've averaged 47mpg over 7k miles.

Only a fairly gentle run I can get 52mpg. Slipstreaming on an A road, it can get up to 58mpg.

Pretty good for a big car.

I have a TSI 90 and filled up today, 43.53 Lt's of premium went in and I had done 527 miles.

That's about 55 MPG but most of my driving is on country roads, so good for the MPG.

I swapped from a Peugeot 307 Diesel which was good for fuel economy and good for low down torque.

I was expecting the Fabia to do 45 MPG and hoping for 50 MPG. So cannot complain on what I am getting in the winter.

I find that the MPG is better during the warmer weather. The MPG has also got better as the miles have gone up. (6500)

What I wasn't expecting is such good low down torque with this engine. The bonus is the sweetness and extra revs available.

This car has an instant MPG read out which is being looked at regularly. This has helped with my MPG.

I am experimenting on how it is best to accelerate and in which gear. I think this is best saved for a new thread though.

Thanks AG Falco

I think that my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110 SEL is showing around 48MPG over the past 2240 miles - which translates to over the past 3.5 months, should be better over the warmer part of the year!

Fuelly is the best way to know.

Colder weather might take a bit longer for the Coolant to heat and the oil to get to an efficient temperature, and you use more electricity.

Cool air is why you have intercoolers and cooling oil takes energy so fresh cool air in cooler weather can mean efficient running and cooler 

surfaces of the road surface can mean less traction / friction.

So sometime it is swings and roundabouts on Winter vs Summer for fuel consumption, but you fill up and drive your vehicle so you get the chance to compare.

Personally i like longer trips during nice cool nights with dry roads and less traffic and delays or stops and starts for the best economy with a TSI or a TDI.

Winter spec fuel making no difference with a TDI from October to March and improving MPG with a TSI IME.

Ours is crap. My missus is a carer so start stop start stop all the time and short town only work. Now done 2600 miles and the overall average is 33.8. I've managed 50 mpg once on a 30 mile A road trip with economy in mind. Incidentally, on the same journey with her driving and me driving my vRS SE in front, she got 43 mpg and I got 61 mpg. A mate of mine bought a VW Polo 1.2 tsi 90 just after we got the Fabia and he has got rid already and bought an A3 diesel 'cos the fuel consumption was horrendous! He hated it.

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 22:46, numptie-boy said:

Ours is crap. My missus is a carer so start stop start stop all the time and short town only work. Now done 2600 miles and the overall average is 33.8. I've managed 50 mpg once on a 30 mile A road trip with economy in mind. Incidentally, on the same journey with her driving and me driving my vRS SE in front, she got 43 mpg and I got 61 mpg. A mate of mine bought a VW Polo 1.2 tsi 90 just after we got the Fabia and he has got rid already and bought an A3 diesel 'cos the fuel consumption was horrendous! He hated it.

Well I live in roughly the same area of UK as you and with two of us in the August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110 6MT SEL, I expect to just get past 60MPG on a 28 mile run from South of Edinburgh to Dalgety Bay - summer or clean road winter - with no delays! Return trip is normally a bit less due to us living maybe 200 meters above sea level, yielding an average of 54MPG. Off topic, but I got 34MPG out of my S4 over a distance of 140 miles coming back from a trip to the Borders yesterday - that was good enough for me!

I am not overly impressed with the fuel consumption for the Fabia. Most of my mileage is medium distance journeys of 15 to 45 miles mixed roads driven briskly. The best is 54.6 mpg and the poorest 35.3mpg and the average over the last 2000 miles is 48.63mpg. This compares with our Volvo v70 D3 Auto over 2500 miles, including 450 miles of towing our caravan, at an average of 39.84 mpg with a one time best of 48.66 mpg.

Having said that we both love driving the Fabia and fuel consumption is certainly not the most important consideration.