1.2 tsi 110 fuel economy

110 6-speed manual, 16" tires (215 45 16). In mainland Europe our 6-speed Fabias come with manual transmission rather than DSG.

My average fuel consumption over the past year was 5.35 L/100 km...which is cca. 53 mpg. I tend not to use AC all the time if not needed.

Here are a few of my observations regarding fuel consumption:

1. In the wintertime the consumption is clearly higher due to winter tires and cold temps, so it's more like 5.6 or 5.7 L/100 km, but in the summertime it's easier to get lower consumption, i.e. 5.3 or 5.2 L/100 km, so it combines into cca. 5.4 L/100 km. My daily commute is 12km one way, and I should mention that my usual drive doesn't involve more than 20-25% town, which helps a lot in achieving better fuel consumption. Town drive with constant stops and acceleration is a real killer for these TSI machines.

2. Tire size & pressure definitely also have quite an impact on consumption. I'm sure I could get several dcl lower consumption if I had for example 185 60 15 tires. And if I lowered the tire pressure to 2.2 bars (or even 2.1 bars). I keep my tire pressure on 2.3 bars (all 4 tires), but I tried lowering the pressure to 2.2 bars for a couple of weeks this past summer and consumption definitely seemed to have increased by a couple of dcl. The ride, however, became less stiff... which is a good thing. So it seems it's either slightly softer ride with higher consumption, or stiffer ride with lower consumption... for now I've still opted for latter.

Edited by jon15

On 24/01/2017 at 09:30, rum4mo said:

Well I live in roughly the same area of UK as you and with two of us in the August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110 6MT SEL, I expect to just get past 60MPG on a 28 mile run from South of Edinburgh to Dalgety Bay - summer or clean road winter - with no delays! Return trip is normally a bit less due to us living maybe 200 meters above sea level, yielding an average of 54MPG. Off topic, but I got 34MPG out of my S4 over a distance of 140 miles coming back from a trip to the Borders yesterday - that was good enough for me!

I used to average 28.3 in a 2005 aluminium bodied XJ6 3.0 V6 petrol and could get 35 on a run. That's why the Fabia is crap!

I think mid-to-high 40s is pretty good TBH. The Fabia has the aerodynamics of a brick (like most superminis!) so high speeds are not its forte, the estate should do better on the motorway (without constantly speeding up and slowing down, that is!) as its aerodynamics are a bit better. Small hatches are in their element in the city- where weight is the main factor (due to constantly accelerating). The Fabia does well in this environment- my friend has a 65-plate 1.2 Corsa and he gets 34 mpg in driving where I'm getting 40.