Kodiaq LED Headlights & AFS

• 3 weeks later...

More annoyed that you would have to go for top Style or SEL trim if you want decent lights. Seems only these have the LED headlights. Old school halogen in lower trims with no option to upgrade on any configuration I have seen. Even a choice to spec Bi Xenon would be nice.

On 16/01/2017 at 13:09, ZacDaMan72 said:

Hey,

Can someone confirm if the Kodiaq's LED Headlights are AFS? In the Czech price list it says it is but from British specs it doesn't say that it has AFS? 

Cheers

UK configurator  (for Edition) says the following:

"..... Headlight range adjustment, automatic/ dynamic, with cornering light (AFS 1) ....."

4 hours ago, Sprite0 said:

More annoyed that you would have to go for top Style or SEL trim if you want decent lights. Seems only these have the LED headlights. Old school halogen in lower trims with no option to upgrade on any configuration I have seen. Even a choice to spec Bi Xenon would be nice.

At least you know what you're getting. Recently played around with Audi configurator for A4 Avant - they would love you to pay for their lovely LED Matrix lights but, if you don't, maybe thinking you were perfectly happy with the bi-xenons on your last car, you get really stitched up.

Didn't twig this at 1st but couldn't get my head around the fact that headlight-washers were an optional extra - did a bit of digging & found that the lights are substantially lower-powered than the 'standard' bi-xenons that people consider the norm.

Pretty under-handed IMO but at least you can feel smug that your Skoda halogens are possibly better than the bi-xenons on the Audis that the average fleet driver will be stuck with.

Edited by Skoda Al Coda
  • Like 1

I am freeking out with incadescent bulbs. Removed them from every place in the house and from the car. Cannot accept the idea to offer a modern vehicle with halogen bulbs:dull: They are only good if you produce little chickens bacause of heat:D

7 hours ago, Skoda Al Coda said:

UK configurator  (for Edition) says the following:

"..... Headlight range adjustment, automatic/ dynamic, with cornering light (AFS 1) ....."

At least you know what you're getting. Recently played around with Audi configurator for A4 Avant - they would love you to pay for their lovely LED Matrix lights but, if you don't, maybe thinking you were perfectly happy with the bi-xenons on your last car, you get really stitched up.

Didn't twig this at 1st but couldn't get my head around the fact that headlight-washers were an optional extra - did a bit of digging & found that the lights are substantially lower-powered than the 'standard' bi-xenons that people consider the norm.

Pretty under-handed IMO but at least you can feel smug that your Skoda halogens are possibly better than the bi-xenons on the Audis that the average fleet driver will be stuck with.

Are you taking into account that LED lights are much more efficent than xenon? 

1 minute ago, Skoda Al Coda said:

Sorry. Can't see the relevance of your question.

You said that on the A4 the LED headlights are "substantially lower-powered than the bi-xenons." LED headlights draw much less power than conventional xenon. 

Did you you mean "lower-powered" in terms of power usage or light output? I have been in B9 A4's with xenon and LED and the LED Matrix system is brighter and has a better light spread. 

Power draw is irrelevant to compare by it's own and not considering light spread, brightness etc. 

Just now, ZacDaMan72 said:

You said that on the A4 the LED headlights are "substantially lower-powered than the bi-xenons." LED headlights draw much less power than conventional xenon. 

Did you you mean "lower-powered" in terms of power usage or light output? I have been in B9 A4's with xenon and LED and the LED Matrix system is brighter and has a better light spread. 

Power draw is irrelevant to compare by it's own and not considering light spread, brightness etc. 

Sorry, you replied as I was trying to edit my post, but it all went pear-shaped.

I realise now that my post wasn't clear - my bad, sorry.

What I was trying to say was that, if you opt for the Audi bi-xenons, they are lower-powered than the bi-xenons you used to get (so low-powered, in fact, that they fall below the lumen level for mandatory headlight washers.

54 minutes ago, Skoda Al Coda said:

Sorry, you replied as I was trying to edit my post, but it all went pear-shaped.

I realise now that my post wasn't clear - my bad, sorry.

What I was trying to say was that, if you opt for the Audi bi-xenons, they are lower-powered than the bi-xenons you used to get (so low-powered, in fact, that they fall below the lumen level for mandatory headlight washers.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying. 

I think it might be a cost saving measure. I've been in the pre-facelift C6 A6 and the LED lights were much better than the face lifted LED (non-matrix) headlights. They could've de-rated (edit: the newer ones) to below 2000 lumens to avoid the need for washers and self levelling. They could easily be doing this with the xenons.

Edited by ZacDaMan72

?

Who is it that these lights are better for 'Drivers that maybe suffer with poor eye sight'?,   (Their Mum warned them what would happen....)

because lots of these lights are not beneficial for other drivers eye vision and with the Audi's Special lighting often comes with 'Indicator Delete' and commonly now ' Faulty lights' that the driver is either unaware of or has given up going to the Audi Dealership to get repaired.

1 hour ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

They could've de-rated (edit: the newer ones) to below 2000 lumens to avoid the need for washers and self levelling.

Yup, just re-visited the configurator & headlight-wash is also optional for the standard LED, so must be <2000 lumens also.

(P.S: I thought that self-levelling was mandatory on all LED & xenon & it was only wash that was affected by lumen parameter, but I might be wrong).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skoda Al Coda said:

Yup, just re-visited the configurator & headlight-wash is also optional for the standard LED, so must be <2000 lumens also.

(P.S: I thought that self-levelling was mandatory on all LED & xenon & it was only wash that was affected by lumen parameter, but I might be wrong).

I'm not completely sure but the facelifted A6 didn't have self leveling which I found weird.

Interesting facts.

I have replaced all bulbs in headlights on my Superb II. Upgraded xenons and H7 high beam bulbs, but still the lights are very poor (well, high beam is more or less ok, but low beam is dangerously short).

If even the LEDs will make no difference, I probaly will return to Mondeo, which has excellent lights. Cannot stand Skoda`s driver seat anyway but headlights will be the final reason. 

But first lets see when first cars arrive.

On 2/2/2017 at 15:19, Sprite0 said:

One of the 3 launch packs available,  allows for an Ambition spec, to have LED hedlamps, Ambient lighting (10 colour), and additional interior lighting added for €1195,if you order the Light pack,  which is a 30% discount on retail value. 

Another Ambition pack add on, is the Connectivity Pack, which includes Columbus unit with google earth, 4G lte sim, DAB (digital radio), and a Tablet holder, for €1750, which is a 50%discount.

And the final launch pack is for the Style spec, and includes the Panoramic roof, and Electric Boot, and Tablet holder, for €1395, which is a 30%discount, and is called the Style+ Pack.