Amundsen Dynamic Route Guidance/Traffic not working correctly

I have a 2013 MY Octavia Elegance with Amundsen Sat Nav. A couple of days ago the dynamic route guidance and traffic features stopped working correctly. The DRG is not showing routes that are clogged up - eg, my commute on M1 between J15A and J8 always showed up with red traffic warnings, but nothing for the last few days, even when I am at a standstill. Likewise when you press the traffic button, it is not picking up the latest problems. The top traffic entry is the same one that appeared 4 days ago a traffic jam that cleared up 4 days ago!

I have tried to hold down power on/off button and menu button for a re-boot, but this has proved unsuccessful. Before I take it to Skoda for them to charge me for diagnostics, can anyone suggest a solution?

Many thanks,

John

I also find this a problem, my maps don't seem to even have traffic on them and the traffic button although has updates the road I am driving on tends to be the last one at the bottom, not really helpful.

TMC is a bit hit or miss....it seems to work better on the newer MIB2 units.

It was never particularly clever on mine....I had a 2014 Elegance with Amundsen MIB1 like you.

First and foremost make sure you are tuned into a radio station on FM and DAB that supports TMC....you can tell this by putting the Maxidot into Audio mode...whilst on Radio you should get a TMC icon in the lower right of the display.

Thanks pist0nbr0ke. I've done a full map update and re-load - which itself was something of a trial - and it seems to have fixed the problem, for now at least. Wish there was simpler way to do a proper re-boot of the system.

Guess I was a bit premature :( problem has not gone away. Does anyone have a suggestion how to do a proper re-boot the system? I have tried holding the on/off and menu buttons, but this has not had the desired effect.

You see when I bought the car in Germany on the way back to Croatia traffic reports worked. When I came to Croatia I doesn't work. And it's not only my car?

You see when I bought the car in Germany on the way back to Croatia traffic reports worked. When I came to Croatia I doesn't work. And it's not only my car?

Traffic reports uses TMC which in many countries is a subscription service, usually the importer pays a bulk subscription fee but if Skoda haven't done that in Croatia then TMC probably won't work (I'm assuming that it is transmitted...).

To the OP: the first thing to check is as pipsypreturnsagain suggested:

...putting the Maxidot into Audio mode...whilst on Radio you should get a TMC icon in the lower right of the display.

Are you getting the TMC icon?  Radio reception OK?  If no - investigate antenna issue.

If the icon is there, then it's something else....

Hmm.  Maybe there's a wider problem.  I've not paid much attention to mine this year, as I've not been anywhere that's needed it yet - but i checked last night and it seemed to grab some believable traffic info.

I checked again this morning, and the information was the same.  The timestamps on the data were current - but it was definitely old data and did not match in any way with what Google/Waze was showing.

Mines a 14-plate MIB1 Amundsen-equipped model with the 490 firmware.

Anyone with a similar car got working TMC?

I've got a 15 plate MIB1 Amundsen running 490 firmware and the TMC data is updated and accurate.

Hmm.  Maybe there's a wider problem.  I've not paid much attention to mine this year, as I've not been anywhere that's needed it yet - but i checked last night and it seemed to grab some believable traffic info.

I checked again this morning, and the information was the same.  The timestamps on the data were current - but it was definitely old data and did not match in any way with what Google/Waze was showing.

Not sure if i was imagining the above this morning - but I've tried it again at lunchtime and it seems to be working OK now.  Definitely pulling in live issues - e.g. the M42 closure.

Sorry to the OP if I've confused the issue further...

Not sure if i was imagining the above this morning - but I've tried it again at lunchtime and it seems to be working OK now.  Definitely pulling in live issues - e.g. the M42 closure.

Sorry to the OP if I've confused the issue further...

Don't worry, the whole matter is confusing. My unit is picking up just a few of the new incidents, but never the traffic jams that I am in. I commute up and down the M1 between J15A and J8/9 every day and up until last week, you would always see the red mark highlighting heavy traffic in 3 or 4 sections of the journey. Now there is nothing, yet the jams are still there. Furthermore there are ghost entries. Jams that existed and cleared last week are still showing. I've booked it into main dealer next week to investigate, but it is £75, just to have a look.

Don't worry, the whole matter is confusing. My unit is picking up just a few of the new incidents, but never the traffic jams that I am in. I commute up and down the M1 between J15A and J8/9 every day and up until last week, you would always see the red mark highlighting heavy traffic in 3 or 4 sections of the journey. Now there is nothing, yet the jams are still there. Furthermore there are ghost entries. Jams that existed and cleared last week are still showing. I've booked it into main dealer next week to investigate, but it is £75, just to have a look.

IIRC the TMC data is provided by either ITIS or Trafficmaster, and in my experience can be well out of date.

Trafficmaster use roadside sensors but ITIS use data from vehicle fleets so it's possible that fleet operators are avoiding that section of the M1 so the ITIS data isn't being updated?

Since you're seeing some new incidents that suggests that your TMC receiver and decoder are working, but that the data is just missing or out-of-date.

Update 24.01: For no apparent reason, the system is working correctly again. All ghost traffic reports have disappeared from the Traffic memory and from the Nav map and it seems to be picking up all of the latest traffic incidents, confirming, correctly that I was in the middle of a jam on the commute into work this morning. 

After a weekend where no matter what the unit was always reporting 4 miles of queues on the M1 at J15A (but the rest of the data seemingly OK) it looks to be back to "normal" (i.e. working but not nearly as good as Google/Waze) for me today.

I think what happened with my unit was that the J15A message got "stuck".  This lead me to either believe it was everything from working OK (the other messages changed) to it was completely borked (4 miles queue on the M1 on a Sunday morning?) depending on when i looked and my level of brain power / attention at the time.

Hopefully the glitch has passed.