Catastrophe- Run out of oil

markb

I think the Citigo uses the 3 cylinder version of the EA211 which uses a belt to drive the camshaft

Sorry if true, my mistake for guessing!

Back to the OP, I'm sorry to say, but in your situation, I would not place too much trust on VCDS giving you too many pointers if that engine will not start.  Engine running faultlessly > engine drops its oil out > engine stopped/switched off      >       now engine will not start, I'd be checking that engine is good/fit to go by (even) invasion inspection.

Sorry if true, my mistake for guessing!

Back to the OP, I'm sorry to say, but in your situation, I would not place too much trust on VCDS giving you too many pointers if that engine will not start.  Engine running faultlessly > engine drops its oil out > engine stopped/switched off      >       now engine will not start, I'd be checking that engine is good/fit to go by (even) invasion inspection.

The suggestion here is that VCDS be used to clear any fault codes that might be preventing the engine from starting, not confirming the diagnosis that the engine truly has shat itself all over the road. :)

• Like 1

The suggestion here is that VCDS be used to clear any fault codes that might be preventing the engine from starting, not confirming the diagnosis that the engine truly has shat itself all over the road. :)

Well, put it this way, the battery has been disconnected so any stored fault codes will have been cleared, anyway, as you know better, what exactly are the fault codes that could have been logged initially that would stop the engine from at least starting for a short time?

Edit:- don't get me wrong, I am willing to learn from you!

Edited by rum4mo

Well, put it this way, the battery has been disconnected so any stored fault codes will have been cleared

What makes you think that the Citigo ECU does not have non-volatile memory?

Does your smart phone lose all of its apps and data if you let the battery run down completely?

What makes you think that the Citigo ECU does not have non-volatile memory?

Does your smart phone lose all of its apps and data if you let the battery run down completely?

I have a long term logged code on my Octavia of "Insufficient flow" as the EGR valve is broken. If I disconnect the battery for more than 20mins it does clear the code and turns off the engine management light - for a while anyway

PS Don't wish to fix this as now the engine is nearly 17 years old and probably burning a little bit of oil - don't want the EGR valve to open and coat the throttle body internals with carp.

There is a reasonable chance that disconnecting the battery on the Citigo will have cleared any logged codes

• Like 1

So it's likely the logged codes will have been cleared.

But anyone got any view on if their could be a "you can't start me because there's been a catastrophic warning" mode that resides in non-volatile memory, so will persist despite my battery disconnection antics?

Never heard of that myself, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Why not join the Ross-Tech forum and ask on there?

You won’t get any joy on the RT forum unless you have a legitimate and registered Ross-Tech interface and post a full scan (this is where the $99 registration fee comes into play)

@wino

Thanks for that. I didn't know there was one. I'll report back.

Cheers

You will need to be a "verified owner/user" to get any where on that forum - though maybe wino meant asking that question on this forum's diagnostic tool area.

Edit:- hum why did I not see the above posting before posting what I just have!??

Another Edit:- I think that I got off with that gaff as Gizmo68 posted while I was writing this one initially!!

Sorry, just proved I can't spell user's name correctly as well!

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

Not where I meant mate, but seems that may have to do for now for reasons others state above.

See how you get on there first.  Crux of it seems to me to be Estate Man's comment earlier that:

"It won't start most likely due to the ecu shutting down the engine due to detecting the engine running too hot without oil. It needs resetting."

Anyone else come across this scenario?

Did the engine show a high temperature before it conked out?

Edited by Wino

@wino

It was No1 daughter at the helm when it happened, so I'm not sure about the temp gauge.

In my modest experience petrol engines need 3 things to run:

1. Fuel

2. Spark

3.Compression

1.It's got fuel in the tank, but I don't know if it's getting to the cylinder

2. Definitely sparking

3. Dunno yet. My compression tester won't fit down the 3 mile tube that connects the sparkplug to the rest of the world

I suppose I could squirt a bit of petrol down each plug hole, reinsert the plugs and crank it?

I'd invest <£20 in something like this, surely that'll reach?

You can do it up plenty tight enough by just twisting the flexible rubber bit, if the brass bit disappears beyond reach.

Edited by Wino

@wino

It was No1 daughter at the helm when it happened, so I'm not sure about the temp gauge.

In my modest experience petrol engines need 3 things to run:

1. Fuel

2. Spark

3.Compression

1.It's got fuel in the tank, but I don't know if it's getting to the cylinder

2. Definitely sparking

3. Dunno yet. My compression tester won't fit down the 3 mile tube that connects the sparkplug to the rest of the world

I suppose I could squirt a bit of petrol down each plug hole, reinsert the plugs and crank it?

After cranking over for a while - can you smell petrol at the exhaust pipe?

Does the cranking speed seem normal - or somewhat faster?

Can I presume the camshafts are turning?

Edited by bigjohn

Another thought,

A lack of oil pressure may have damaged the variable valve timing - this could stop it running! The variable valve timing has a potential high level of adjustment -  including a mode for EGR where exhaust valves and inlet valves are slightly open at the same time

I've seen this problem on an Alfa in the past!

@bigjohn

Good idea about petrol fumes. I'd not thought of that. Regarding cranking speed- I'm not sure tbh. It's not my regular wheels (kids' car) so can't say for sure, but it does have that rhythmic sound associated with at least some compression.

@wino

That's very similar to the one I have. I had thought it required more torque than just twisting the pipe in order to seal the cylinder. But I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Cheers

Mark

...@wino

That's very similar to the one I have. I had thought it required more torque than just twisting the pipe in order to seal the cylinder. But I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Cheers

Mark

Nope, have used it that way a number of times. :)

Roughly where in Sevenoaks are you?, north or south of the town?, may be able to help with a scan later in the week depending on where you are if it helps?. PM me if you feel the need, don't put detailed addresses on open forum pages. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kentphil1 said:

Roughly where in Sevenoaks are you?, north or south of the town?, may be able to help with a scan later in the week depending on where you are if it helps?. PM me if you feel the need, don't put detailed addresses on open forum pages. :)

In Four Elms twixt Sevenoaks and Edenbridge. A scan would be much appreciated!