1.2 TSI Yeti new engine running in period for oil change.

DensYeti

After the timing chain debacle and my receiving a new engine (paid for fully by Skoda and local dealer) I would like to know what the "running in" milage should be and when the first oil change should be.

Please do not say 'ask the dealer/Skoda UK  all they say is "you are on extended service". (I know that!!!).   They do not seem to be able to come up with any sensible/convincing advice.  I do around just under 10k per year rural area so car gets warmed up and not much stop/start journeys.  I drive carefully (not just slowly!) with consideration for the machinery.  Gentle use while running in - keeping  to max 2,500 - 2,700 rpm with no labouring, and now going to 3,000 and occasionally short bursts of up to 4,000.

I have been servicing and rebuilding all parts of my own classic (1976/1980 Scimitars) and vintage (1930s) cars since 1967 so have quite a lot of automobile knowledge.

"Modern" manufacturers seem to go out of their way to make everything difficult!

So help from anyone that may know the definitive.

Yeti 1.2 TSI S First 'running in oil change" at --------- miles??

Dennis

• Like 1

Have it set to Fixed Servicing and then the first oil and filter change will be at 9,400 (10,000) miles or before 372 days, which ever comes first.

Run in (Drive in ) as described in the owners manual for a new car, because it is a new engine. (Probably refurbished @ the Refurbishing factory.)

& enjoy.

For replacement engines Skoda UK say you stick to the cars servicing 

so a new engine new oil and if the cars service was due in 500 miles they think you should stick to that.

If the New Plugs are in a new engine they think or say you should change them by the cars service interval  even if only a few thousand miles of use.

Edited by Offski

Definitely change to Fixed servicing intervals, the timing chain problems were associated with lubrication of the chain components and unless you are doing extensive regular long motorway trips and annual mileage of 20k you should be on Fixed service intervals.

Regular oil changes is one of the best things you can do to preserve the engine of a modern car. 

Sorry to say it, but comparing the engine and running-in procedure of a modern Yeti engine to that of an engine produced 30+ years ago is incorrect. Tolerances in a modern engine are much finer and all you are now told is not to labour the engine. Some people will say just drive it and not worry, and that was certainly the way my old Yeti was done, being an ex-demo model, and at 110k miles it still used no oil. My new one has been treated the same way and I have no qualms about it.

Why are you on the extended servicing scheme? If you are only doing restricted mileage and lots of short journeys then you would be much better on the fixed mileage system. As such the first service and oil change will be at roughly 10k miles/1 year.

The OP is asking about a 1.2 TSI and a replacement engine, replaced because of Fundamental Designs and manufacturing and Quality Control of components (Timing Chains / Tensioners.

Engines have changed in 30 years as have oils.

Dirty Diesels (Dervs / Heavy Oil burners, Polluters) are a different matter all together, they have there own issues and time to get up to temp etc and as for tight tolerances, that is stretching things a bit.

(Not the chains though.)

If the OP is worried about when the oil should be changed then why not use the new engine for about 1000 miles like an old time running period used to be and then get the oil and filter changed for peace of mind.

Ian

the timing chain problems were associated with lubrication of the chain components

Regular oil changes is one of the best things you can do to preserve the engine of a modern car. 

The chain problem was due to bad design......chain too flimsy......new design was larger and much stronger (yes I know about the tensioner issue too).

Agree regular oil change....but modern fully synthetic is designed to last longer while retaining its goodness. Non synthetic loose it's "goodness" through evaporation of some of its components..(even with engine not in use)....unlike synthetic ...far less so. (semi synthetic = meaningless .....can often be just 2% synthetic material added...so beware.)

My journeys are not all short local but varied with several per month to car club meets of around 90 mile round trips.  Closest shopping town = 15 miles.

Ref tolerances....I think that has more relevance as to what grade oil is required.....i.e 0W/30 versus 20W/50.

The running in is, I feel, all about the metal to metal contact areas smoothing each other and becoming matched to each others shape.  Metallurgy must have moved on in 50 - 70 years and I was hoping Skoda/Vag, since they know the metal they use, would know how long adequate bedding in would take in their machinery and then, of course, performance/work load could be gradually increased from that point.

Thanks to all who have commented so far it all ads to the interest and knowledge.  :happy:

Great theory.

Have you read the Pinned threads in the Octavia section on the 1.8 / 2.0 TSI failures or in the Fabia MK2 on the 1.4 TSI Twinchargers.

Long Life oil & Short life for some engines.

You would think after 100 plus years that VW would have a handle on Oil as a lubricant and coolant and the building of reliable engines.

Sadly they have not yet even sussed rubber seals that seals H20 from entering the passenger areas or paint / protective coating that prevent or inhibit corrosion.

Hi live in  a Unit complex, most of my neighbors say "why do Warm Up your Yeti", your wasting Fuel.

Have owned 7 vehicles ( 6.5 Million KM) over the last 48 years followed my Dad's advice

+ He had a work Mate who he asked to review my driving skills, He took me to Lakeside

and we went around the track & around, Went for my Test and drove out of testing Station,

as I drove up the Road Tester tried to distract my attention by talking,

Who taught you to drive , answered my Dad and a Workmate of His, who is your Dad's work Mate,

:**** JOHNSON", he told me to turn around and go back, "License Approved".

Hope this helps.

Edited by Gobmax