Running-in

nugbuv

Reading the Online Yeti 2016 manual, I see guidance for running-in a new vehicle stating that for the first 1,000km one should keep within 3/4 of maximum engine speed.

I cannot, though, find what the maximum engine speed is for the Yeti 1.2 TSi 110 SE L Drive

Can anyone advise me, please?

If so, what are the 100 per cents per gear?

For fifty plus years I've always been a feather foot and never had any issues caused by driving gently during the run in period.

To me 3000 is an Italian tune )))

We've had pretty much the exact same car (not a drive) since 23rd December.  For right or wrong, this is what we've done:

• Set the maxdot on oil temp.
  • started the car and moved off ASAP without sitting idling for any time when cold.
  • stuck to sub 2500 revs until oil temp is greater than 80°c.
  • once over 80°c then up to 3/4 of the range (up to approx 4500 revs) but normally only for short times, not driven at 4500 constantly.
  • not dwelt in any one gear for a long time - e.g. on motorway not stayed in 6th at 70mph for hours, but used the gearbox to change engine revs and varied speeds
  • allowed the engine to brake on overrun to change the forces on the engine parts.
  • not allowed the engine to labour at low revs.

Ours is manual so this makes things a bit easier as you can select gears yourself.

We had a 250 mile trip to the west country and back and elected to go via the A roads to provide a bit of variety in driving conditions.

Now we are over the 600 miles we are just driving it normally. Neither the missus or I are fast drivers so it will very rarely see high revs anyway.

We shall see how that pans out. To be honest  the 17 year old Astra the Yeti replaced used 800ml/1000miles of (admittedly cheap) 10/40 semi-synth due to leaking stem seals so nothing is likely to be worse than that.... 

• Like 1

The best advice is to drive sympathetically with the engine/car.You can 'feel' the way it is performing and drive so as to reduce stress, drive quietly, smoothly and elegantly and you will be fine - and so will the engine, transmission, tyres and suspension.

• Like 1

I always remember a colleague who was given a new Mini,

he was told not to go over a certain (low) rpm and he stuck

to it religiously for the first 1,000 miles.

In the canteen my driver asked if he had run it in yet and was

challenged to a sprint down a local dual carriageway, now

that it was run in.There were four of us in an old windowed A35

van and the mini it flew ahead then just went "GroinK" and

coasted to a stop. We towed it to his local garage (very slowly)

A few days later he told us it had seized, the pistons had moved

into a tighter part of the bore due to the sudden burst of revs.

I always remember a colleague who was given a new Mini,

he was told not to go over a certain (low) rpm and he stuck

to it religiously for the first 1,000 miles.

In the canteen my driver asked if he had run it in yet and was

challenged to a sprint down a local dual carriageway, now

that it was run in.There were four of us in an old windowed A35

van and the mini it flew ahead then just went "GroinK" and

coasted to a stop. We towed it to his local garage (very slowly)

A few days later he told us it had seized, the pistons had moved

into a tighter part of the bore due to the sudden burst of revs.

Obviously no mechanical sympathy! Probably too young as we all have to learn driving sympathetically.

......and the conrod stretched apparently

That was the problem with mini's - elastic steel for the conrods and hydrolastic suspension that needed regular pumping up.

The best advice is to drive sympathetically with the engine/car.You can 'feel' the way it is performing and drive so as to reduce stress, drive quietly, smoothly and elegantly and you will be fine - and so will the engine, transmission, tyres and suspension.

I like the 'elegantly'.  A very long time ago (very), when I had recently passed my driving test, an experienced driver offered some advice that I've not forgotten: 

"Whatever car you're driving, pretend it's a Rolls Royce". 

(Difficult, when the Yeti is in the B-road twisties :happy: )

Edited by Brijo

It's advice from a wise old uncle over 50 years ago - "whatever you choose to do lad do it elegantly". Overall in my life that has been good advice from career to marriage to age! Maybe not done everything well, but I at least tried to do it elegantly.

Edited by Expatman
  • Like 1

50 odd years ago while taking my motorcycle driving test,  I skidded on some loose gravel while doing the "emergency stop", and fell off.  The examiner remarked: "Well,  at least you did it gracefully!",  and gave me a pass!

• Like 1

It's advice from a wise old uncle over 50 years ago - "whatever you choose to do lad do it elegantly". Overall in my life that has been good advice from career to marriage to age! Maybe not done everything well, but I at least tried to do it elegantly.

But what if my Yeti is not he Elegance version!