Buying a nearly used Yeti - Manual or DSG - some questions

JB.

I agree with lots of the comments already posted and many reflect my own thoughts, especially the red colour, without the black roof my wife gave it the thumbs down saying it looked too much like a postman pat van. I currently have a Yeti with a Petrol / DSG combination and think its great, the both go well together and even though the official figures say its slightly slower off the mark than a manual in reality its quicker due to the accurate and timely gear change each time.

I have previously had the DSG in combination with a 2l Diesel engine on my Audi A3, even though again I enjoyed the experience I did often feel that a manual is better suited with a Diesel engine, due to the lag on a Diesel sometimes I would find the response a bit poor and wrong gears selected (a problem when pulling out at a roundabout), but then having driven a Golf GTI with DSG and 2l Petrol engine I fell back in love with the DSG and that's why I chose it this time around, but had I gone for a diesel engined Yeti I think a Manual would of been my choice.

A lot of it will come down to driving style, but a DSG is not lost on the motorway as once set in cruise control the car virtually looks after itself, but as others have said just be careful on an older car out of warranty as repair / replacement costs are eye watering.

When I had my diesel Passat DSG I always thought the DSG would be even better with a petrol engined car and preferably something sporty.

The TT should have been that, but I bought one of the last Mk. II's out of the show room so had little choice. The manual gearbox in that is a delight though so I'm not disappointed. 

One of the things I really liked with the DSG was being able to brake and change down simultaneously in "manual" (on the odd occasions I was driving more sportily). I've tried heeling and toeing in manuals but have never been able to master it.

I can double declutch though :)  as we had a 1927 Austin 7 in the family. Well still do, but it hasn't been used for years.

JB - Why would you take out an additional 2 year warranty?

Yeti's come with a 3 year warranty from new.  Unless Skoda's do not cover them if they have been hire cars.

Is the dealer trying to get you to pay for a warranty that is already there?

Or is it an additional 2 years making 5 in total? If so, it won't be the FULL Skoda warranty.

As the extra 2 years has to be ordered/purchased before vehicle is registered.

Being down south ( London) have not used AC dealer so can't comment on their service etc.

Me, I'd go for auto (dsg) every time. Mines coming up towards 64000 miles and all good so far.

The 2.0TDi Yeti has the DQ250 DSG 6 speed wet clutch that was first introduced in 2003.

So it's a 14 year old design and the oldest dual clutch gearbox that VAG have. 

On the plus side this does mean that most of the niggles have been engineered out and they are now reliable. Downside is they were designed to use the same oil for lubrication and hydraulic design so require an oil change every 40k miles.

I've done over 250k miles in cars with this box with no issues at all. Our vehicles with the newer 7 speed dry clutch have been more problematic though,

I find the gear lever a little low on a manual yeti but then again I'd choose DSG over manual in any car

Lee.

Edited by logiclee

I've also seen some crazy tuned cars on YouTube using DQ250. Obviously they have updated clutch packs but other than that standard. So they're a strong gearbox.

As for the oil changes. To be honest this isn't anything unusual. Take for instance a traditional torque converter auto. The gear oil is used for gearbox lubrication and inside the torque converter. This is why most have a change interval as like the DSG the oil is subject to high temperatures and pressures which degrades it.

I agree. it all started when they brought that fancy new snchromesh in, next thing you know people won't know how to 'double clutch'  :giggle:

^^^ Top Man!  Entirely with you.

As for all that "de-skilling" nonsense,  I say that's billhooks and tripe.

Mind you, I've only had my DSG for five and a half years, so what would I know?

Edited by oldstan

Hi have a DSG 6 speed , Diesel.

I recently Drag'd off a Ford Falcon V8 GTHO (Bathurst winner-Restored) from the lights near my Home.

Owner was so impressed he followed me home, asked for a a drive.

Thanked me and said I now know what to buy my Wife for our 50 th. Wedding Anniversary.

He and his wife are now my good Mates.

Thought I'd give you an update.  We have ended up buying a 8-month-old Yeti (7k miles) from Douglas Park [2016, 150 4x4, SE Business but without Sat Nav, petrol blue].

The reasons we didn't end up going with Arnold Clark cars we were interested in:

• Two of the AC cars went on Friday, and both remaining were DSG and had scratches / minor dents.
  • My wife test drove the DSG in a Rapid this afternoon, and she didn't like the DSG much at all.
  • Douglas Park had another Yeti manual which my wife drove, and she loved it (the car we have now put down a deposit on).
  • We were impressed with this DP dealer 6 years ago (when we last visited for a test drive) and so felt better going with them.

So, the car we have bought is registered as an SE Business spec, but it came to dealer with no Sat Nav (they say it was a mix-up).  So the dealer has agreed to add the Smart Link option within the price - this should be a reasonable alternative to the Sat Nav.

I do have three questions please:

1. If this car is SE Business spec with no Sat Nav, does this essentially mean it is a basic SE spec?  I can find nothing on Google about Yeti SE Business spec (which itself surprises me).
  2. I thought I would use the VIN to confirm that it's 150 rather then 110bhp.  VIN 5th digit is "D" - but the only guide I can find implies this is the 103kw engine, not 110kw.  Can anyone confirm if "D" = 150bhp?  I don't have the car yet, just the VIN (supposed to be finalising and collecting next week).
  3. Does anyone have any experience of using say Google Navigation via the Smart Link, and is it an effective alternative to Sat Nav?

Many thanks!

Edited by JB.

It does use AdBlue [i saw the tank in the boot floor] !  So, all good probably.

I am probably being overly suspicious...

Looking at the brochure, I now see some options that this car has which are not on the SE (which are presumably on the SE Business spec): roof rails and DAB radio (and voice control we think too).  So, it probably is more than SE.

Anyway, we both found it lovely to drive, very responsive and nippy - much more enjoyable than all the online reviews imply.  Still to test comfort on a longer journey and at motorway speed.

Edited by JB.

• My wife test drove the DSG in a Rapid this afternoon, and she didn't like the DSG much at all.
  •  

The DSG in all Rapid models is the 7 Speed dry clutch DQ200 gearbox. The DSG in the 2.0 TDi Yeti is the 6 speed wet clutch DQ250.

They drive quite differently, the wet clutch box drives more like a conventional torque converter auto as the clutches happily slip, they are quite a bit smoother at low speeds.

Lee

Translation or definition issue maybe on smooth and it can be replaced with lethargic in some which is why the New Mk7.5 VW Golfs will have 7 speed wet clutch DSG.

Translation or definition issue maybe on smooth and it can be replaced with lethargic in some which is why the New Mk7.5 VW Golfs will have 7 speed wet clutch DSG.

They are getting the 7 speed DQ500 as it's more efficient and can handle more torque. The Tiguan has had it for quite a few years now. It's very similar to the 6 speed wet clutch to drive and will still slip it's clutches at low speed, in stop/start traffic it will slur away in 2nd rather than dropping to first, drives very similar to the 6 speed.

How the 6 speed responds is down to mapping of the box to the engine, on some diesels it's mapped for smooth response and on something like the Golf GTI or Golf R they are mapped to be much crisper. On the 7 speed dry clutch DSG you can't map in the slip as it would wear the clutches.

6 speed DQ250

Lee

• Like 1

Glad you are sorted JB and Petrol Blue is a brilliant colour! :)

I think manuals are going to be with us for quite a few years yet, maybe until electric/hybrid etc. becomes more widespread.

Particularly as with very small basic spec cars an auto/DSG box can add a substantial percentage to the cost of the car and so won't even be considered by some buyers.

^^^ Top Man! Entirely with you.

As for all that "de-skilling" nonsense, I say that's billhooks and tripe.

Mind you, I've only had my DSG for five and a half years, so what would I know?

Not sure what you are saying there?

Edited by VAGCF

6 speed DSG is pretty much bombproof.

Coupled with paddleshift you would never ever want to drive a manual ever again.

Except that early designs in Audis/VWs for whatever reason had their ECU submerged in the bath of oil, as the years ticked by it was only time until funny things started to happen

• Like 1

Had to laugh at this! I have a red yeti outdoor at the moment on a short term lease, and I've been referring to it as 'the postie van' ever since it arrived.  :D

For what it's worth it's a DSG (my first experience) and whilst I like the convenience after coming from a manual I find it disconcerting the way it can lag and be reluctant to pull away into fast moving traffic or onto a roundabout. I often find it holds onto a higher gear than I'd like and the engine is labouring without dropping down.

I've been driving it for about 4 months, and I've now ordered a replacement (long term) Superb and after much internal debate went for a manual again.

it looked too much like a postman pat van. 

• Like 2

Had to laugh at this! I have a red yeti outdoor at the moment on a short term lease, and I've been referring to it as 'the postie van' ever since it arrived. :D

For what it's worth it's a DSG (my first experience) and whilst I like the convenience after coming from a manual I find it disconcerting the way it can lag and be reluctant to pull away into fast moving traffic or onto a roundabout. I often find it holds onto a higher gear than I'd like and the engine is labouring without dropping down.

I've been driving it for about 4 months, and I've now ordered a replacement (long term) Superb and after much internal debate went for a manual again.

I had a Civic manual and hated it's flimsy light feel but the current European ones have a delightfully slick mechanical feel.

So long as the stop/start system agrees with your driving manner, I'm sure you'll love the involvement.

We're a dying breed though, stuck in the past it seems(?)

Edited by Ryeman
  • Like 1

I had a Civic manual and hated it's flimsy light feel but the current European ones have a delightfully slick mechanical feel.

So long as the stop/start system agrees with your driving manner, I'm sure you'll love the involvement.

We're a dying breed though, stuck in the past it seems(?)

Yes, the dinosaurs return!

I'm fine now with the stop/start in the Yeti - it took a while to get used to it, but I'm quite happy with it now. I'm sure there are times when stuck in traffic that I'll miss the DSG, but I'm looking forward to returning to my manual roots to be honest. I think I'm a secret control freak, and I get nervous when things are happening that I either don't understand or agree with...

Despite my jokes about the postie-van, the Yeti's been a great car to tide me over - really enjoyed it. It's just not practical for me in the longer term, hence the new Superb arriving imminently.

• Like 1

The only thing that counts against us is the prospect of a greater decrease in resale value simply because there are fewer manual buyers down the track with the current trend.