Mk1 Octavia R32 DSG AWD

Jack521

Thanks for comments. 

The idea was to build vRS in the way it should be. All-wheel drive, VR6 engine. Only DSG was my main concern but it works fine. 

Also here some autumn shots with winter setup. 

1c89ees-960.jpg

c9c89ees-960.jpg51c89ees-960.jpg

Will add some information concerning plans for 2017 later. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I've actually come across them youtube videos not long ago, nice to put a name to the build.

On 19/01/2017 at 18:48, Paul thornton said:

Cool. Never seen an R32 octavia before.

Surprised nobody in the UK has ever built one.

There was a VR6 version in Europe I believe, but we never got it over here. Also, some have done R32 conversions on YouTube. Doesn't seem to practical considering how front heavy the R32 engine is compared to the 1.8T, specially if swapped out for the CupraR version or other turbo/hybrid upgrades.

1 hour ago, DeanVRS20VT said:

I've actually come across them youtube videos not long ago, nice to put a name to the build.

There was a VR6 version in Europe I believe, but we never got it over here. Also, some have done R32 conversions on YouTube. Doesn't seem to practical considering how front heavy the R32 engine is compared to the 1.8T, specially if swapped out for the CupraR version or other turbo/hybrid upgrades.

VR6 really changes handling of car in some way and also there is no point to try it on front wheel drive. With AWD it's getting better but not the best handling however. 

But from my point of view 3.2 has more potential and strengh in it. I hope soon this will be converted to turbo. Expecting about 500 hp and it is more complicated to get these numbers on 1.8 or 2.0. 

And as far as I know there've never been a VR6 version of Octavia anywhere. Only garage made conversions such as mine)

Edited by Jack521

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, Jack521 said:

And as far as I know there've never been a VR6 version of Octavia anywhere. Only garage made conversions such as mine)

You'll never beat the sound, it's beautiful! :blush:

As for the VR6, sorry I was thinking of the Mk1 Seat Cupra 2.8 L VR6 24v...

On 01.02.2017 at 16:23, abo said:

Tidy, and I bet it moves. Only one thing, I'm not keen on the wing mirror colours who am I to say, it's your car :)

Mirrors are aluminum and idea was to compose them with polished wheel lips. 

Here is some news. 

Started to build new set of wheels for this summer. Again OZ, but 18'' and not Futura.

Lips 2'' and 2.5''.

WhatsApp Image 2017-01-28 at 16.54.20.jpeg

And one more spoiler and homework but I do not expect to collect everything till autumn and start total engine rebuild. :devil:

Turbo1.jpegTurbo2.jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-01-10 at 13.29.50.jpeg

• Like 2

Are you going to do anything to the gearbox?

From what I understand when these engines are tuned the gearbox is either swapped to a stronger one (DQ500) or the clutch pack is upraded... but it isn't cheap!

http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/clutch_packs_dq250.html

At the very least you will need a DSG remap to raise the torque limit and increase oil pressures to the clutches etc.

49 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

Are you going to do anything to the gearbox?

Definately there will be some tune to gearbox. It all depends on $$ in my pocket... If planned power (500hp+) is reached stock gearbox will die very quickly))

DQ500 swap is the best thing to do but it's not easy because it was never used with VR6 engines (3.2 or 3.6). Maybe will try to find it for reasonable price later.

Also have some idea with clutch pack tune, we have some local guys who replace them. Price is rather high but acceptable (800$ for st.2) and they say it can handle more than 650+Nm of torque. 

Anyway should collect everything for engine rebuild at first. Internals for VR6 and R32 especially aren't cheap so it can take some time... 

Hopefully will have some updates on wheels very soon.

On 15.02.2017 at 12:56, HarrisAng said:

What side skirts have you got, they look menacing! 

Sideskirts are R32 replicas slightly modified to fit Octavia body. Lost one of these in deep snow pair of weekes ago)) In spring will put it back again but modify mounting points.

• 1 month later...

Long time no updates so here are some new pics. Now I start to realize that I'm really a wheels maniac... 

First of all my new centers for OZs arrived.  Welcome OZ Opera Pegasus.Pegasus1.jpg

So decided to take a look how it will be. 

2'' lips

pegasus2.jpg

pegasus3.jpg

and 2,5'' lips..

pegasus4.jpg

pegasus5.jpg

and without center caps

pegasus6.jpg

Also new set of original OZ bolts arrived

.bolts.jpg

Was preparing for doing something like this.

.brushed.jpg

but suddenly these beauties appeared and ruined all my plans for this season wheel setup)) 

BBS LM 18*9/9.5JJ 

LM.jpg

So should restore LM's asap and put them on the car and continue work with OZs. So hope soon will be another updates.

Also wanted to show you my cluster. It took a lot of time to make it but it's definately worth it. 

Based on oem Octavia cluster + Superb dials and arrows (except fuel and temp)+ some LEDs and ColorMFA. You can search for some videos on Youtube for more info about this little thing.

cluster1.jpg

cluster2.jpg

Edited by Jack521
  • Like 1