Ice Ice Baby

AmethystKacey

So around Nov time I got in my lovely 16 plate citigo, only to find that the front screen had iced over on the inside. Cue weird looks, it was a 16 plate so why was it doing it?

Concerned I took it back to the dealership who gave it a good check over and a clean and said they couldn't see any issues with it. The initially blamed it on the stuffed toys I had in the corner (see picture!) so I removed all of these and gave the screen a good wipe down and dried it off.

Skip forward to today, I've had x amount of times when this has happened again. 2 weeks ago I went back to the dealership again to find out if I was doing anything wrong and what could cause it. They told me they had a number of people come back about the same issue but skoda had released a statement that it was the "weather" and not the car.

I'm trying to understand what I am doing wrong. My partner's 13 plate citigo could be sat next to mine and his NEVER does it. Mine is always the one frozen up. As anyone else had this issue with their new Citigo or even another car as the woman said it wasn't just the citigo. She wasn't too helpful as she didn't give me any options on how to alleviate some of the mistiness or prevent it. I've wiped the screen and all internal windows with a de-mist solution but even that doesn't help it much and it still freezes.

Any help is most appreciated!

post-146742-0-01940200-1484901815_thumb.jpg

Interior window frosting means there is moisture in the cabin of the vehicle    Are your carpets dry?,  you might have a leak ,is the heater on air recirculation , so that same air goes around not fresh air . Also are your vents outside clear, it looks like you have ice over them outside, in which case fresh air cannot get in

My sisters old Monte Carlo Fabia used to do this when it was brand new, your car is pretty new being a 16 plate.

We never got to the bottom of it, her dealership blamed it on door seals so replaced them, but it did not help, it just stopped doing it when the car *bed in* and got some miles under its belt.

Edited by Ally_bassman

I'd consider getting some 'car dehumidifier' pouches to see if they can help stop the windscreen iciing over by removing moisture from the cabin (they're full of silica gel and are reusable, lots available on ebay)

Plonk one on your dash when you park up and it may help!

I'd consider getting some 'car dehumidifier' pouches to see if they can help stop the windscreen iciing over by removing moisture from the cabin (they're full of silica gel and are reusable, lots available on ebay)

Plonk one on your dash when you park up and it may help!

I've bought one recently (3 weeks ago) and they do work, I keep it on the parcel self as it's just the right size and blends in nicely.

Got mine off Amazon.

Dehumidifier is a good idea. I had a 1kg DryBag in the boot of my old MX-5 that worked very well. Took it out every 3 months to dry out the granules in a low oven.

Hopefully it is just some moisture that has soaked into the seats and carpets whilst the car was in transit/storage that is now migrating out. Check the spare wheel well in the boot - there might be a duck pond in there. :)

Any car can get camp inside at this time of year, depending on usage. Frequent, fully warmed up use with the blower on will generally keep the interior dry. Conversely, short hops, not being it warmed up, not using the blower, running with the air recirculation on, all contribute to a build up of moisture in the car. The other possible cause it's a water leak somewhere. Check carpets for moisture / water at low points.

Any car can get camp inside at this time of year, depending on usage. Frequent, fully warmed up use with the blower on will generally keep the interior dry. Conversely, short hops, not being it warmed up, not using the blower, running with the air recirculation on, all contribute to a build up of moisture in the car. The other possible cause it's a water leak somewhere. Check carpets for moisture / water at low points.

Dehumidifier is a good idea. I had a 1kg DryBag in the boot of my old MX-5 that worked very well. Took it out every 3 months to dry out the granules in a low oven.

Hopefully it is just some moisture that has soaked into the seats and carpets whilst the car was in transit/storage that is now migrating out. Check the spare wheel well in the boot - there might be a duck pond in there. :)

Are you using the aircon at a decent setting with venting set to fresh air in, not re-circ. The aircon should be dehumidifying the car interior. Not saying youndo this, but so many people switch the aircon off, or leave it on re-circ to save the running costs....which are miniscule...and then wonder why they have a problem. Vents should only be on re-circ in specific circumstances...to stop bad smells or potentially toxic smoke from entering the cabin. Leaving it on re-circ increases the danger of a build up of CO2 in the cabin...that you breathe out in copious volumes...and subsequent poor concentration and reaction times. It is potentially dangerous. I think you may find words to this effect in the owners manual.

My wife has a CityGo (2016) and I have a Yeti (also 2016) and we have both experienced this problem. We have not found any evidence of leaks and have put it down to :-  water on shoes when wet, ditto on coats and the irritating habit that we both have of breathing when in the car. In addition, the micro fibre cloths that we use to wipe condensation off the windows are just left in the cars, still wet.

As with others, we have put de-humidifiers in both cars now and the problem has stopped.

I realised that my air on was switched to re-circ and never thought of changing this to fresh incoming. I tried this last week and ever since I have not had the problem. I had the outside screen freeze up but the inside has stayed clear so thank you for this guys! If anyone else has the issue try changing the air con switch over before buying any de-humidifier bags as they are quite expensive. I went through different steps. I know someone on a FB group had an issue with a blank where the cars are made for left hand drive (never heard of this) but try all the steps people have suggested first as they saved me a lot of ££££ !

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Kamalligator said:

Some cat litters come with silca gel in them. Usually way cheaper than the 'dehumidifier' packs. 

I normally just stick some in a sock and never had any problem. 

Also comes in handy for oil changes in case you spill some. 

I would like to hear how, if you are ever stopped, the gentlemen in blue would react to your explanation as to why you carry a loaded sock in your car.:sweat:

Fred